Help !! - Car diagnostic"gadget"

Posted 21st Apr
Hi!
Recently my car developed some faults, I don't want to pay £20 every time at the garage to see what's wrong with it, and I was just browsing for some car diagnostics gadgets..
.I can see that they are quite expensive, I found iCarSoft on Amazon with good reviews. is there anything else who can do the job properly?

I've got an Vauxhall Astra J - 1.7CDTI 2012.
But would be great a car diagnostic to cover as many cars as possible., in case I'm selling the car in the future, I want to keep and use the car diagnostic

Example here

Example 2 more expensive here
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
When I had a 3 series BMW I bought a cable from eBay, although the same was available on Amazon. It was great, hook it up to a laptop, run the software and it not only gave the codes, but also a list of possible fixes too.

Was only about £25 IIRC

I’d recommend a cable that plugs into a laptop, rather than a Bluetooth type connector, although maybe someone who’s used one would be able to throw their hat in the ring so to speak.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 21st Apr
Get one of these. You can get the software online. I have one myself and it's excellent value.

OBD2 Scanner
IamMT21/04/2020 12:40

If you have an android phone these would be a much cheaper starting point …If you have an android phone these would be a much cheaper starting point if you mean you have an engine light on the dashboard:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en_GBhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-ODB-ODB2-V2-1-Advanced-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-Ku/223293585680?hash=item33fd55b910:g:LgYAAOSwkNFcXFYz

I actually have them both... they don't find a fault. Although I have, service soon, airbag fault, + another one..
Liquid_Len21/04/2020 12:40

Get one of these. You can get the software online. I have one myself and …Get one of these. You can get the software online. I have one myself and it's excellent value.OBD2 Scanner

Doesn't work for me...
danflorin321/04/2020 12:43

I actually have them both... they don't find a fault. Although I have, …I actually have them both... they don't find a fault. Although I have, service soon, airbag fault, + another one..

If its an ABS or Airbag fault you need one like this to read and clear codes.

Topdon elite £70 ish ebay.
danflorin321/04/2020 12:43

I actually have them both... they don't find a fault. Although I have, …I actually have them both... they don't find a fault. Although I have, service soon, airbag fault, + another one..

Cool - Toque only handles engine light codes, I'll let you continue your search if you're after something more sophisticated.
If you have breakdown cover you could call them out, for it juddering to a halt then stopped for eg.
After 20 mins it started and you got home.

Most OBD2 scanners are just very basic, The higher you go the more features you get.

I ordered a Topdon Artibattery 101, Battery tester last September for £20.00 from Alixpress now £30.
Good well made bit of kit.
Helped friends and neighbours find out if battery needs replacing over the winter.
Works on most types of battery.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 21st Apr
I got a cheap one off eBay for my Astra H.. it’s not got the most features but it diagnoses/clears engine codes which is all I was after. Got it for £8 at the time, better than going to a garage and paying £20

ebay.co.uk/itm…287
If you've got a laptop get yourself opcom, It's dealer level diagnostics for Opel/vauxhall and you can diagnose faults, program modules etc.. You can get a cable off ebay. Certain features aren't available for newer cars but most things are for the Astra G.
danflorin321/04/2020 12:45

Doesn't work for me...

Does for me, on all vehicles (with OBD2). Works on Windows 10 and Android.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…tle

I bought this last year, used it on bloody loads of cars Astra, Golf, Honda Civic, Suzuk Swift, Land Rover Range Rover, Polo...
1 more vote for op-com, but only works for XP Win 7 32bit.

Uk seller 333480661552 £16.99
Have you tried seeing if the pedal test works on your model?

youtube.com/wat…9Hg

You can then look up the error code.
bigwheels21/04/2020 16:18

1 more vote for op-com, but only works for XP Win 7 32bit.Uk seller …1 more vote for op-com, but only works for XP Win 7 32bit.Uk seller 333480661552 £16.99

I've got it working on Windows 10 on several devices. You have to manually select the driver I think.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 21st Apr
There's a cloned Delphi tool that you can buy too but installing the various cracked diagnostic software takes some technical know how to install. It's OK and works OK on my Vauxhall but with limitations. It works better on my brothers 19 plate Golf. Just have to select a model up 2016 I think.
the cheaper ones only diagnose engine issues. If your have ABS, or other issues, you will need a budget of approx £70 or more to get a scanner that will diagnose that. I made this mistake myself.

Furthermore if your tech literate, you can get diagnostic software for laptops and then connecting it to the car.
expandingmaan22/04/2020 00:12

the cheaper ones only diagnose engine issues. If your have ABS, or other …the cheaper ones only diagnose engine issues. If your have ABS, or other issues, you will need a budget of approx £70 or more to get a scanner that will diagnose that. I made this mistake myself. Furthermore if your tech literate, you can get diagnostic software for laptops and then connecting it to the car.

Opcom will 100% diagnose it, The cables on Ebay are less than £15 but they would need a laptop or something that runs Windows.
And for another opinion...

Better bit of Kit

If you can go the extra pounds I can recommend this having used it for a few years now. I had a generic ELM before and always plagued with connection issues.

It comes with its own app but can work with others. The live data is very useful to monitor a variety of things such as power delivery. A useful consideration is that this can be left in the port without drain on the battery and has protection against hackers should that be a concern.
Thank you all for helping me:)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions