Expired

Help! Car Seat For Large 19 Month Old.....

Found 16th Nov 2014
Hi Guys....
Looking for a bigger Car Seat for my 19 Month Old.
He is extremely big for his age weighing in at just shy of 18kg and is tall wearing 3-4 clothes!
This has been my predicament...most UK car seats are designed for a child up to 18kg using the 5 point harness(age 4 apparently lol).
He's too young to be in an adult seatbelt, so I have to replace his seat with one of the following models- Britax 2 Way Elite or Britax Traveller Plus. These models allow use of the harness up to 25kg.
Been to Mothercare and they stock nothing.
These are the only ones I have found so far....

Has anyone else had the same problem, and what did you do? Surely I am not the only one who has had this difficulty....
Community Updates
AskCarCar Seat
20 Comments
Have you tried Toys R Us (Babies R Us) they will come out to the car and try any of the seats for size
The car seat law only goes on weight - so surely you can just move to the next seat that suits? I'm pretty sure the ages are just guidelines.

gov.uk/chi…eat

Any of this range does 9kg to 36kg:
mothercare.com/car…rid
Edited by: "nbuuifx" 16th Nov 2014
Original Poster
bonn1e

Have you tried Toys R Us (Babies R Us) they will come out to the car and … Have you tried Toys R Us (Babies R Us) they will come out to the car and try any of the seats for size

Thanks for your reply. No actually I haven't, but the problem is less about size and more about weight. If the harness is only safe for weights up to 18kg, I cant be sure that it will be safe in a collision if he is over the 18kg mark. I will go and check in there though
Hi, we had exactly the same issue with my daughter. We have a Britax Evolva 123 plus (note the plus). Brilliant car seat-has its own straps until about age 5, then converts for use with car seat belt, then to a booster seat until age 12 (or probably 9/10 in our case). Head rest moves upwards to increase the size of the seat. So good, we bought another one for second car. Look at paying about £90. Boots sometimes have a 10% off code and Boots point always handy. Don't forget quidco/tcb. Seat also has a recline setting, which I was unable to find on any other seat of this type. My daughter loves it-looks very comfortable. It even has cupholders!

Hope you find the right seat for you-good luck!

Link: m.johnlewis.com/mt/…005

Edited by: "Mermoo" 16th Nov 2014
Original Poster
nbuuifx

The car seat law only goes on weight - so surely you can just move to the … The car seat law only goes on weight - so surely you can just move to the next seat that suits? I'm pretty sure the ages are just guidelines.https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seatAny of this range does 9kg to 36kg:http://www.mothercare.com/car-seats-carriers/cat_carseat,default,sc.html?prefn1=weightRangeOfChild&prefv1=9kg%20%2820lbs%29%20-%2036kg%20%2879lbs%29&view=grid

I know that lawfully he can use the next stage seat. Although he is the size of a 3-4 year old, he is a mischievious little tyke and would probably try to wriggle out of it!! He wont be able to understand that its dangerous yet!! Thanks for the links though...I appreciate your effort
I too had the evolva 123, my son is disabled and needed the support of the 5 point harness but he was over 5 (weightwise he doesn't weigh much). It was a fantastic seat and he still fitted in it at 8 years old (wearing 6-7 age clothes). The only reason I changed was we had a car accident and had to replace the seat, he wouldn't have had that much more time in it, maybe another year so we changed to a special needs car seat (the britax traveller plus).
Original Poster
Mermoo

Hi, we had exactly the same issue with my daughter. We have a Britax … Hi, we had exactly the same issue with my daughter. We have a Britax Evolva 123 plus (note the plus). Brilliant car seat-has its own straps until about age 5, then converts for use with car seat belt, then to a booster seat until age 12 (or probably 9/10 in our case). Head rest moves upwards to increase the size of the seat. So good, we bought another one for second car. Look at paying about £90. Boots sometimes have a 10% off code and Boots point always handy. Don't forget quidco/tcb. Seat also has a recline setting, which I was unable to find on any other seat of this type. My daughter loves it-looks very comfortable. It even has cupholders!Hope you find the right seat for you-good luck!

Thanks for replying. I have just looked at this one on your recommendation. Looks like a great seat, but unfortunately still only takes up to 18kg on the 5 point harness. Damn...liked this one too
Original Poster
I wonder if it is possible to use the seatbelt with the 5 point harness as back-up just in case he manages to escape the seat belt? Bit of a faff I know....
Maxi Cosi Mobi?
foxykelli

Thanks for replying. I have just looked at this one on your … Thanks for replying. I have just looked at this one on your recommendation. Looks like a great seat, but unfortunately still only takes up to 18kg on the 5 point harness. Damn...liked this one too

It's my understanding that you 'can' use a car seat belt after 18kg. My daughter weights more than this, but there is still plenty of room for her to grown and still use the 5 point harness. You can use the seat belt as well as the 5 point harness, but the seat will only then be strapped in via the seatbelt in the across position, rather than secured to the car through the back of the car seat. I think you will find that this seat fits your needs-you can try it out in most mothercare shops.
my son is 18 months and v.tall too, size 3 clothing. We use a kiddicare pus sp car seat. can be used with harness then with seatbelt. but the buckle is out of the way down the side of the booster bit of the seat so as not to entice little one to undo it.
My children are in 5 pt harness up to 25kg, they are ages 5 and 3 and in Britax Max way and Maxi Cosi Mobi - rear facing seats too!
ellie27

My children are in 5 pt harness up to 25kg, they are ages 5 and 3 and in … My children are in 5 pt harness up to 25kg, they are ages 5 and 3 and in Britax Max way and Maxi Cosi Mobi - rear facing seats too!

The maxi cosi mobi is only showing as up to 18 kg when I search online, do you have a link for the ones you have please? Man thanks.
ellie27

Maxi Cosi Mobi http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/maxi-cosi-mobi.html or … Maxi Cosi Mobi http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/maxi-cosi-mobi.html or http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/mobi-black-reflection/ Britax Max way http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/max-way-black-Thunder/ or http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/britax-max-way.html

Super, thanks so much. My daughter will be 5 in April and is still rearfacing. She is almost at the weight limit for the 18kg seat we have. Undecided if I should by another rearfacing up to 25kg or turn her around now. Confused.com!
Banned
aw foxi I didn't know a 19 month large kid would wear those huge clothing.
mine were always 3 months behind on their clothes.

can I see him
frowner

Super, thanks so much. My daughter will be 5 in April and is still … Super, thanks so much. My daughter will be 5 in April and is still rearfacing. She is almost at the weight limit for the 18kg seat we have. Undecided if I should by another rearfacing up to 25kg or turn her around now. Confused.com!

Thats great you have kept her rear facing til now. My daughter is 5 next week, son is 3, they will both rear face to around age 6 as they are both in 25kg limit seats. If I was in your position though, with a 18kg seat and age 5 already I dont think I would buy another erf seat. Not sure you would get that much use out of the seat....unless you had a younger child that could then go into it!!
ellie27

Thats great you have kept her rear facing til now. My daughter is 5 next … Thats great you have kept her rear facing til now. My daughter is 5 next week, son is 3, they will both rear face to around age 6 as they are both in 25kg limit seats. If I was in your position though, with a 18kg seat and age 5 already I dont think I would buy another erf seat. Not sure you would get that much use out of the seat....unless you had a younger child that could then go into it!!

Thanks for your reply. Yes you're probably right does seem a big expensive to buy another erf seat, just a little part of me still thinks that she is still quite little to turn around. I am annoyed at myself that I only bought an 18kg seat all those years ago.
Just seen this, did you get sorted? I had a similar problem and purchased the britax advansafix. It's not cheap and you need isofix and a top tether to fit it but it's a 123 seat and does allow harness up to 25kg which I don't think many others do. You can do a fit check on their website of you're not sure.
Original Poster
twinmum18

Just seen this, did you get sorted? I had a similar problem and purchased … Just seen this, did you get sorted? I had a similar problem and purchased the britax advansafix. It's not cheap and you need isofix and a top tether to fit it but it's a 123 seat and does allow harness up to 25kg which I don't think many others do. You can do a fit check on their website of you're not sure.

Thanks so much for your advice, will definitely look into this as we still haven't got one yet

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants