HELP choosing 5.1 surround sound speakers.

Found 20th Jan
So I want to purchase 5.1 surround sound speakers. Been a complete novice to this subject I could do with some help/advice in choosing speakers.

So the AV I will probably be purchasing is a Denon AVR-X1400H.

Budget for speakers is £400.

Speakers need to be very compact, due to location availability and the missus X)

Ideally in white.

So far I've seen these.

2880695.jpg
audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/45452/mission-m3-m-cube-white-5-1-satellite-speaker-package&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=MIS-M3-SYS-WHT?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI08ea5_Lk2AIVaL7tCh0BGQJwEAQYCCABEgJRx_D_BwE

2880695.jpg
hifi-tower.co.uk/NUMAN-Ambience-5-1-Surround-Sound-System-White-Incl-30m-Speaker-Cable_i37455.htm

I did look at the Cambridge Audio Minx min12 package but is too far over my budget at £500.

Comments or recommendations appreciated.

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I would throw the lion share in on the subwoofer and buy 2nd hand speakers. I'm picking up a pair of 2nd hand q acoustics 1030i floor standing speakers for £45 which would be fine as front speakers in most setups. I wouldn't buy a package but pick up some decent speakers at a good discount.
kester7655 m ago

I would throw the lion share in on the subwoofer and buy 2nd hand …I would throw the lion share in on the subwoofer and buy 2nd hand speakers. I'm picking up a pair of 2nd hand q acoustics 1030i floor standing speakers for £45 which would be fine as front speakers in most setups. I wouldn't buy a package but pick up some decent speakers at a good discount.

So the ops requirements are ‘very compact’ but you recommend floor standers?
Edited by: "paulj48" 20th Jan
paulj489 h, 44 m ago

So the ops requirements are ‘very compact’ but you recommend floor sta …So the ops requirements are ‘very compact’ but you recommend floor standers?

I can't see where kester has recommended floor standers anywhere. He simply says he is getting some himself, which is equally useless to the op.
craigstephens6 m ago

I can't see where kester has recommended floor standers anywhere. He …I can't see where kester has recommended floor standers anywhere. He simply says he is getting some himself, which is equally useless to the op.

He advised that floorstanders would be fine in most setups.

As this is the response to the ops question am I interpreting that wrong then ?
Edited by: "paulj48" 21st Jan
paulj481 h, 35 m ago

He advised that floorstanders would be fine in most setups.As this is the …He advised that floorstanders would be fine in most setups.As this is the response to the ops question am I interpreting that wrong then ?

Sorry. You're right. I'm on your side now. Stupid suggestion, kester.
craigstephens3 h, 36 m ago

Sorry. You're right. I'm on your side now. Stupid suggestion, kester.

My suggestion rocks
Ops amp suggestion is massive overkill for these speakers. Satellite speakers are fine for basic movie surround but you need to pay out a small fortunate for decent sound out of that size.
Op has probably got some wrong ideas about how bookshelf and tower/floorstanding speakers take up massive amounts of room when they don't. Most tower speakers take up about the same amount of room as a shoebox and wall mounted bookshelf speakers take up a lot less space.
You don't need massive cables to drive these speakers either and 3mm core cable should be fine in most cases. Most of the time these can be hidden easily under carpet or around the skirting boards.

I wouldn't recommend 4ohm speakers as this stresses the amp at high volumes. Sweet spot is between 6 and 8 ohms.

You're just going to get better performance out of a larger speaker than a smaller one due to physics.
Original Poster
kester762 h, 51 m ago

My suggestion rocks Ops amp suggestion is massive overkill for these …My suggestion rocks Ops amp suggestion is massive overkill for these speakers. Satellite speakers are fine for basic movie surround but you need to pay out a small fortunate for decent sound out of that size.Op has probably got some wrong ideas about how bookshelf and tower/floorstanding speakers take up massive amounts of room when they don't. Most tower speakers take up about the same amount of room as a shoebox and wall mounted bookshelf speakers take up a lot less space.You don't need massive cables to drive these speakers either and 3mm core cable should be fine in most cases. Most of the time these can be hidden easily under carpet or around the skirting boards.I wouldn't recommend 4ohm speakers as this stresses the amp at high volumes. Sweet spot is between 6 and 8 ohms. You're just going to get better performance out of a larger speaker than a smaller one due to physics.

​The issue is mainly down to the room layout.
I don't need to worry about visible wires, the room is getting completely stripped out.
Here's a photo.
33108354-I80JY.jpg

22 deg is by the light switch by the door. Depth of chimney will block some sound here.

30 deg is the centre of the door opening.

37 deg is the corner of the room by the door frame.

Will give you a better idea of my dilemma.
heathead1 h, 15 m ago

​The issue is mainly down to the room layout. I don't need to worry about v …​The issue is mainly down to the room layout. I don't need to worry about visible wires, the room is getting completely stripped out. Here's a photo.[Image] 22 deg is by the light switch by the door. Depth of chimney will block some sound here. 30 deg is the centre of the door opening. 37 deg is the corner of the room by the door frame. Will give you a better idea of my dilemma.

I don't see any issues with that room, it looks pretty ideal for a audio setup. As long as you're sitting far enough back to angle the speakers towards you then you should be fine. A sub can be put in any corner as it's not so directional.

33108739-DhXN6.jpg

33108739-1VmDM.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants