Expired

Help choosing best SIM card for a 11 year old

Found 3rd Aug 2014
I wonder if someone could help.

My daughter is having my old iphone for her birthday.

She is having it purely just to use when out and about. She won't really be making calls. I need her to have one in case she needs to call me or if I need to contact her.

Looking for the best SIM card and would just like peoples advice if poss.

Many thanks
Community Updates
AskCardDual Sim
24 Comments
three pay and go worth a look of its only for occasional use
Well if the phone is unlocked to any network then the 3-2-1 sim from 3 is a good shout. You can also buy extra bundles for times like summer holidays when she is away from friends and might want to use it more.
In my Experience with 3 kids who have had phones, lots and lots of Data oO
for unlimited free data you want giffgaff sim card, have a look at them, works on the o2 network
I would recommend tesco mobile if the phone is unlocked. The lowest tariff is £7.50 which can be capped with a £2.50 buffer

My kids all have tesco pay monthly contracts and two of them have iPhones. Never need to worry about excessive charges
i am with giff gaff at first you need to put £10 on it to activate it and you get another £5 free, if you exchange this ofr a goodie bag she will get more for her money, the best bit is that when the goodie bag is done you still get free giffgaff to giff gaff calls and txt so if you also were on it she wouldnt need to top up again for 3 months the best goodie bag is the £10 one you get 500 mins unlimited txt and 1g data x you can order the free sim online http://giffgaff.com/

they have ones for the iphone x i would defo look into giff gaff its been the best thing i have doen for my kids x
Edited by moderator: "removed affiliate link" 3rd Aug 2014
It's not exactly cheap, but my son has the £12.90 pay monthly sim from 3. It's unlimited data which was most important for him, and more texts and mins than he'll ever use!
I think you need to find out exactly what she is likely to need in practice before you commit. I started my son off on giffgaff goody bags but quickly realised all he really did was Skype and use facebook on his computer. His payg credit has lasted ages.
I certainly wouldn't be paying out a lot!

Giff gaff sounds quite good ?
Looks like cheapest is £7.50 and has to be used in that month.

I wanted something cheap that hasn't got a timescale if poss please.
I presume you're not a talk talk customer ...
redhot999

I presume you're not a talk talk customer ...

Why is that?
nb1

Why is that?

If you are they have a fantastic deal £3.75 a month 300mins unlimited texts 600mb data and £35 quidco possible (I just signed up myself).
Ok. Just concerned also that she could go over. Wouldn't want any nasty bills and also worried if lost / stolen I could end up with large bill.

Think payg better option.

Thanks for all your comments - you are all such a big help.

Still looking......
nb1

Ok. Just concerned also that she could go over. Wouldn't want any nasty … Ok. Just concerned also that she could go over. Wouldn't want any nasty bills and also worried if lost / stolen I could end up with large bill. Think payg better option. Thanks for all your comments - you are all such a big help. Still looking......

Well if you can get 3 coverage that tends to be best option payg if you can't trust her to monitor usage.
Thanks redhott999. Will have a look now.
Surely you need to get a cheap contract with unlimited minutes?

I would have thought an 11 year old with a mobile is a disaster waiting to happen.
toshapetriji

Surely you need to get a cheap contract with unlimited minutes?I would … Surely you need to get a cheap contract with unlimited minutes?I would have thought an 11 year old with a mobile is a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't know what the ideal solution would be for an 11 year old as they are ALL different. Some always lose their phones some break they phones some don't follow advice on monitoring usage some have no concept of money restrictions some don't care about anything particularly their parents opinions some like to chat some like to text all day as they have loads of friends some watch YouTube all day ... the list goes on. Only you know your son or daughter. My son had a phone at 11 has never broken it lost it used it to call me unless he absolutely has to rarely seems to turns it on so I can't call him (not allowed it on during school) has never used data when not included in sim package. His latest deal was a £10 a month orange credit I got in a cheap 6 months deal which he used to get a dolphin package and at the end had £57 credit left and 6 months later still has £54 credit left X)

Edited by: "redhot999" 4th Aug 2014
redhot999

I don't know what the ideal solution would be for an 11 year old as they … I don't know what the ideal solution would be for an 11 year old as they are ALL different. Some always lose their phones some break they phones some don't follow advice on monitoring usage some have no concept of money restrictions some don't care about anything particularly their parents opinions some like to chat some like to text all day as they have loads of friends some watch YouTube all day ... the list goes on. Only you know your son or daughter. My son had a phone at 11 has never broken it lost it used it to call me unless he absolutely has to rarely seems to turns it on so I can't call him (not allowed it on during school) has never used data when not included in sim package. His latest deal was a £10 a month orange credit I got in a cheap deal which he used to get a dolphin package and at the end had £57 credit left and 6 months later still has £54 credit left X)

Sounds like a child a lot of people would like to have.
Edited by: "toshapetriji" 4th Aug 2014
toshapetriji

Sounds like a child a lot of people would like to have.

No give me a less stroppy girl any day X)
If you can afford £18 a month get a virgin VIP sim, unlimited texts, data and phonecalls. So she can text away with no charge and also surf the net etc. Only thing that gets charged is sending photos for some reason and texting premium numbers like radio stations.
nb1

Ok. Just concerned also that she could go over. Wouldn't want any nasty … Ok. Just concerned also that she could go over. Wouldn't want any nasty bills and also worried if lost / stolen I could end up with large bill. Think payg better option. Thanks for all your comments - you are all such a big help. Still looking......

As mentioned above, we have some Tesco contracts and they have capped usage so you can never go over the limit
We found Parentshield and it's fab!! We were both worried about giving her a phone, but with moving to highschool we knew the time had come.
It says there are special features built for children that are not available anywhere else, and oh my, there certainly are!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants