Groups

help choosing soldering iron from maplin

Can anyone recommend a decent maplin soldering iron - i will be using it to replace a motherboard jack. The soldering part i can do just need help finding a suitable soldering iron.

thanks

10 Comments

Banned

Are you sure you know how to solder when you don't even know what iron to get for the job

I would have thought the cheapest one maplin.co.uk/Mod…909

would be ideal . It's 30w and only £9.99 .I think it has a fine point for intricate work .

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Are you sure you know how to solder when you don't even know what iron to … Are you sure you know how to solder when you don't even know what iron to get for the job

sure do but always used antex - reason why i asked was simply due to the fact that i thought someone could recommend one they have used from maplin

Original Poster

ricko

I would have thought the cheapest one … I would have thought the cheapest one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32909would be ideal . It's 30w and only £9.99 .I think it has a fine point for intricate work .

i think the 30w is fine for wires but need something more delicate for soldering components :-)

Original Poster

plus i think the cheaper ones leak current :-(

Just checked the one I've used for years , a KINZO 25w and I've repaired everything from soldering wires onto satnav batterys ,soldering a new power socket on a Advent 8109 laptop motherboard ,etc ,etc ,infact everything I've ever needed to solder has been done with this 'cheapy ' . Whether there is a current leak or not on it , it still does the job .

Which jack are you going to remove? Mother boards are printed both sides........So it might be a difficult task.

Original Poster

Samsung r60 laptop jack - bit worried about using a cheepy one, i know a few people who have used them and had success but still.

vmessy

Samsung r60 laptop jack - bit worried about using a cheepy one, i know a … Samsung r60 laptop jack - bit worried about using a cheepy one, i know a few people who have used them and had success but still.

In removering the old jack you run the risk of damaging the seating(solder) pads.....Don't forget to use solder wick/solamop(n47fx) to remove the old solder .Ideally you really need a Hot Air Station.. Not keen on recommending a soldering iron but n72hy or n78ar MIGHT get the job done assuming you r on a low or one time use only budget.Depends on your soldering skills If you think your skilled enough to to do the job. ..Good Luck!

ps dont pull the old component off gently prise it out.

Original Poster

pat8

In removering the old jack you run the risk of damaging the … In removering the old jack you run the risk of damaging the seating(solder) pads.....Don't forget to use solder wick/solamop(n47fx) to remove the old solder .Ideally you really need a Hot Air Station.. Not keen on recommending a soldering iron but n72hy or n78ar MIGHT get the job done assuming you r on a low or one time use only budget.Depends on your soldering skills If you think your skilled enough to to do the job. ..Good Luck! ps dont pull the old component off gently prise it out.

cheers fella!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. how do i join shop and scan ???33
      2. Gaming PC £700 / £800 budget11
      3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?78
      4. Jury service1824

See more discussions