Help - considering moving from Kobo to Kindle

Posted 18th Jul
I'm a Kobo owner. I wanted to buy a second hand Kobo, but they are expensive and go faster than Bolt. However, the market is awash with cheap Kindles. I literally use my Kobo Touch to read books and set up the occasional collection. I don't want to use my ebook to surf or anything fancy.

My question is if I buy a Kindle would I still be able to read the current epub books I have if I converted them to mobi via Calibre? I have about 20 books which I haven't yet read.

Thanks,
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Yes a .mobi converter will do it and move then on it manually. Depending on the software, you might loose some formatting.
I use kindle books but I convert them to epub using Calibre so I can read them on my nook which uses epub.If my nook gives out I'll buy a Kindle and convert them. Hope that helps
My county library loans out ebooks. Every now and again I borrow one to read on an iPad. I'm guessing this will never work on a Kindle hence I've held off getting a Kindle for now.
Only if they're DRM free, which they'd need to be to convert.

Although you may want to convert to a Amazon's KF8 format rather than Mobipocket as the latter is pretty old and may not support any books with more complicated formatting. Kobo's software can theoretically read mobi, but it's pretty horrendeous in my experience so you'd be keeping the ePub version anyway.
harrythefish19/07/2020 07:47

My county library loans out ebooks. Every now and again I borrow one to …My county library loans out ebooks. Every now and again I borrow one to read on an iPad. I'm guessing this will never work on a Kindle hence I've held off getting a Kindle for now.

Depends on the system your library uses, but most will only work on brands of eReader supporting Adobe's DRM (Kobo, Pocketbook, Bookeen etc. but not Amazon).
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 19th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text