Groups

Help! Consumer rights, do I have any? after nearly a year!

Hi, does anyone know if I have any rights about the following?

I bought a creative zen vision m from Argos on 24/12/07 and the sticker containing the serial number has just come off to reveal an 'R' stamped on the product. I have discovered that I was sold a refurbished unit. This was not clear in the description and was at the full price for a brand new product. Do I have any rights bearing in mind the unit is 4 days away from being a year from purchase?
    any help much appreciated, thank you.

10 Comments

have you still got receipt ?

did you buy it as 'new'?

if yes to both ring up customer services and see what they say - if they refuse to exchange or if it was me i would want a refund - i would threaten them with consumer goods act - naughty

Original Poster

Yes to both, I was just worried at the amount of time that had passed, I suppose I could give them a ring to see what they say, I have nothing to lose, thanks for your reply/help, repped.

Banned

you have absolutely no chance of getting a refund

what makes you think its a refurb just coz its got an "R" there

you have had this for nearly a year and it has served its purpose, simple

y would u pull the serial number sticker off anyway .........I doubt Argos will do anything because without the serial sticker it could b 1 you picked up from the market

I agree with casparwhite you have had it nearly a year I doubt u will get a refund and how do u know its refurbished ............I reckon u just trying a scam IMO

Banned

onepinkbit;3816270

y would u pull the serial number sticker off anyway .........I doubt … y would u pull the serial number sticker off anyway .........I doubt Argos will do anything because without the serial sticker it could b 1 you picked up from the marketI agree with casparwhite you have had it nearly a year I doubt u will get a refund and how do u know its refurbished ............I reckon u just trying a scam IMO

err............

"the sticker containing the serial number has just come off"

Argos dont note down serial numbers so you could take a market one back anyway.

if the serial number sticker is still legible then yes you would have a case. unless something is specifically sold to you " as is " or " reffurbished " then you are expecting a new product. if you find out later (it doesn't matter how much later) that it was not new then you can demand a new product or a full refund, at the very least. trading standards would be very interested in Argos selling refurbs as new. i had a problem a couple of years ago where i bought a dvd player from a major chain (i signed an NDA so cannot name them) and it was not only a refurb but contained a pirate DVD in the drawer as well, i brought in trading standards but settled privately with the company, trading standards got quite upset that i wouldn't take the case further

Banned

wolf359;3816340

if the serial number sticker is still legible then yes you would have a … if the serial number sticker is still legible then yes you would have a case. unless something is specifically sold to you " as is " or " reffurbished " then you are expecting a new product. if you find out later (it doesn't matter how much later) that it was not new then you can demand a new product or a full refund, at the very least. trading standards would be very interested in Argos selling refurbs as new. i had a problem a couple of years ago where i bought a dvd player from a major chain (i signed an NDA so cannot name them) and it was not only a refurb but contained a pirate DVD in the drawer as well, i brought in trading standards but settled privately with the company, trading standards got quite upset that i wouldn't take the case further

Agreed :thumbsup:

Still unsure how the OP thinks that an 'R' stamp means a refurb. It could mean any number of other things :?

I'd be surprised for manufacturers to remove serial numbers, stamp them with an 'r' then put another serial back. Would be easier ways of reflecting refurbs (e.g a database).

EDIT:- Or put a new serial on beginning with R (see below)

Banned

Only thing I could find (not the same as what the OP descibes) was an amazon review stating:-

Watch out for refurbished passes off as new,
    12 Dec 2008
    By ]Disraeli - ]See all my reviews
    Many of these Vision Ms are refurbished when the seller claims they are new. Watch out for this. If the serial number begins with R it is refurbished and only carries a 90 day warranty.

csiman;3816368

Agreed :thumbsup:Still unsure how the OP thinks that an 'R' stamp means a … Agreed :thumbsup:Still unsure how the OP thinks that an 'R' stamp means a refurb. It could mean any number of other things :?I'd be surprised for manufacturers to remove serial numbers, stamp them with an 'r' then put another serial back. Would be easier ways of reflecting refurbs (e.g a database).EDIT:- Or put a new serial on beginning with R (see below)

a lot of companies "burn" an "R" into refurbs plastic cases. its not a stamp more like a brand. if this is covered with a serial then it would be a deliberate attempt to deceive

Original Poster

Thanks for your help / advice guys, not trying to scam here, would just be quite angry that I paid £190 for a refurb, the sticker has made it's own way off, the "R" underneath makes me think I have been sold a refurb, I paid for an extended 3 year warranty so it has not served it's purpose quite yet! & what is a concern is what Csiman pasted above (post 9) that refurbs come only with 90 day warranty.

If I wanted to scam Argos, I would not have bothered paying extra for an extended 3 year warranty, I would have just returned the item within a month or so.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SCS add ons... are they worth it??59
      2. Feels weird!22
      3. Amazon Italy Galaxy S8 UK23
      4. Wall mounting the OLED55B7V22

See more discussions