Help costing Made to Measure Curtains

Found 8th Jan 2016
Hi
Could anyone please help me with costing up made to measure eyelet curtains?
We have a window which has a pole length of 2.4m which i understand means we need a curtain width of 4.8m. The drop required is 1.4m.
I think this makes it we need approx 6.72m in total (4.8 * 1.4)
We have found some curtains that cost £23 per meter so though the cost would be approx £155
But when you go on websites such as John Lewis / Dunelm for curtain costs at the sizes we need it's coming out at a cost of around £300+
Where am I going wrong?
Thank you in advance
Community Updates
AskCurtain
13 Comments
Do you have a fabric warehouse near you? I have curtains made by them last year and they were very reasonable.
Original Poster
naomi

Do you have a fabric warehouse near you? I have curtains made by them … Do you have a fabric warehouse near you? I have curtains made by them last year and they were very reasonable.

Thanks Naomi, never heard of them before will have to check them out.

Do you know how the costs are worked out as my logic (see op) is half of what they are saying and I have no idea why?!
I think you may be calculating incorrectly; you would need 2x6.72 ( each curtain being 4.8 x 1.4) I think this would be a little full. If your total width is 2.4 m then 1.8 m per curtain should be fine. If your buying ready made you're looking at 180cm wide x 140cm drop or 72 inches wide x 55 inch drop
Original Poster
booky

I think you may be calculating incorrectly; you would need 2x6.72 ( each … I think you may be calculating incorrectly; you would need 2x6.72 ( each curtain being 4.8 x 1.4) I think this would be a little full. If your total width is 2.4 m then 1.8 m per curtain should be fine. If your buying ready made you're looking at 180cm wide x 140cm drop or 72 inches wide x 55 inch drop

Thank you. I was doubling up as that's was JL and dunelm work to from the pole length. I still think their calcs are way off! Hmmm still hoping we'll find some ready made ones we like.
For ready made curtains look up 90 x 54. That is 90 inches wide (you only calculate the width of your window from side to side once, as the curtain makers multiply it up for you to allow for pleats/gathers) and 54 inches is the length you want if your drop required is to the window sill.

What style of curtains do you want though, as some look better more gathered (fuller) than others. eg. the eyelet curtains where you slot the curtain with metal round holes doesn't need so much gathering. Whereas pencil pleat curtains that you hang from rings or onto a rail, look better with more gathering. If you are hanging up thin voile panels like plain nets, up to four times the width looks great, very luxurious and gives more privacy.

I know I've calculated it in "old money" but for some reason that seems to be the way they are sold. Most windows come in some general sizes, eg, my living room and bedroom windows fit a 90" x 90" curtain perfectly down to the top of the skirting board ( I like my curtains long rather than stopping at the window sill).

I've just seen the above post and I have to say that I would go for 90 wide rather than the next size down (72), as it will give a much richer look. I think 72 might look a bit "mean" and stretched out when closed.
Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 8th Jan 2016
ceres

I think you may be overlooking the fact that you have to pay for the … I think you may be overlooking the fact that you have to pay for the making of the curtains. The £23 per metre is only the cost of the fabric, not the service.

Oh yes, and the thread, eyelets, etc.
Original Poster
ceres

I think you may be overlooking the fact that you have to pay for the … I think you may be overlooking the fact that you have to pay for the making of the curtains. The £23 per metre is only the cost of the fabric, not the service.ETA - which is why I make all my soft furnishings myself!

Thank you - I did wonder if that may be the case. Just seems when you ask the assistant how much and they say £23 per meter you anticipate that at that point they should also point out that is the material cost and mention roughly how much is the making cost especially if it makes it twice as expensive!

Edited by: "Suzannzan" 8th Jan 2016
Original Poster
therealslimkaty

For ready made curtains look up 90 x 54. That is 90 inches wide (you … For ready made curtains look up 90 x 54. That is 90 inches wide (you only calculate the width of your window from side to side once, as the curtain makers multiply it up for you to allow for pleats/gathers) and 54 inches is the length you want if your drop required is to the window sill. What style of curtains do you want though, as some look better more gathered (fuller) than others. eg. the eyelet curtains where you slot the curtain with metal round holes doesn't need so much gathering. Whereas pencil pleat curtains that you hang from rings or onto a rail, look better with more gathering. If you are hanging up thin voile panels like plain nets, up to four times the width looks great, very luxurious and gives more privacy. I know I've calculated it in "old money" but for some reason that seems to be the way they are sold. Most windows come in some general sizes, eg, my living room and bedroom windows fit a 90" x 90" curtain perfectly down to the top of the skirting board ( I like my curtains long rather than stopping at the window sill). I've just seen the above post and I have to say that I would go for 90 wide rather than the next size down (72), as it will give a much richer look. I think 72 might look a bit "mean" and stretched out when closed.

Thank you for a very thorough answer! We will be having eyelet and think 90 would give a more full look. The length we only need to the window sill.
Suzannzan

Thank you for a very thorough answer! We will be having eyelet and think … Thank you for a very thorough answer! We will be having eyelet and think 90 would give a more full look. The length we only need to the window sill.

You're very welcome The first time I had to buy curtains, long ago, I had them made up in a department store and they cost me over £200. This was in 1987! I had oversized bay window which I couldn't get ready made curtains for. You should really have no problem finding something ready made in 90 x 54, good luck!
Try Kurtinz, they send samples and give you prices online when you enter you measurements.
We chose the fabric we liked in Dunelm and Kurtinz worked out much cheaper to make them.
I have purchased before and they have 15% off everything till sunday with code 'jan15'
Original Poster
Sandy1012

Try Kurtinz, they send samples and give you prices online when you enter … Try Kurtinz, they send samples and give you prices online when you enter you measurements. We chose the fabric we liked in Dunelm and Kurtinz worked out much cheaper to make them.I have purchased before and they have 15% off everything till sunday with code 'jan15'

Brilliant website thank you!
Are you anywhere nr NW London? If so, the curtain warehouse in Finchley has lovely materials (often JL stuff) at good prices.. Worth a look if you haven't done so already.

Original Poster
samwants2save

Are you anywhere nr NW London? If so, the curtain warehouse in Finchley … Are you anywhere nr NW London? If so, the curtain warehouse in Finchley has lovely materials (often JL stuff) at good prices.. Worth a look if you haven't done so already.

i live west kids so it's a bit far...thank you anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions