Groups

Help! Customer service question for saveonlaptops.co.uk

My girlfriend just bought the lenovo u350 on their site and received it today.

She paid more for the one with 4th of ram... Now they have it out with god damn 32-bit operating system so she can't even access it all.

I'm going to phone tomorrow and complain... But was wondering if anyone had any experience with them ? Or any advice?

Thanks!

12 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry! Meant to be in misc! Please move!

Did it say it would have an x64 OS?

I don't see how you are going to complain if the PC was exactly as described, especially as you already seem aware of the limits of an x86 OS.

unfortunatley you are not going to get anywhere calling them except ask to return the laptop. companies are allowed to put in 4GB of ram and a 32 bit OS unless it is stated specifically that there is a 64bit OS included. I do agree though i do not understand why companies put in 4GB of RAM and a 32bit OS as its useless.

Original Poster

It didn't say which it would be? I was assuming if they are selling a machine with 4gb of ram they would have the sense to install 64-bit?

Distance selling regs, send it back within 7 days for a refund.

Yep like sickly sweet says.

Read this section might help

9 Returns/Cancellations/Replacements
    9.1 Subject to clauses 9.8 or 10, no contract shall be cancelled once accepted by the Seller nor shall any Goods which are delivered in accordance with the contract be returned without prior written approval of the Seller and on terms to be determined at the absolute discretion of the Seller.
    9.2 If the Seller agrees to accept the return of any Goods then:
    9.2.1 A Goods return number must be obtained from the Seller and be clearly shown on the returned parcels and should be returned with the original manufacturer’s packaging (which shall not be defaced) complete with accessories, manuals and documentation. Software packages must be returned unopened with the software seal intact. Except in the case of faulty Goods, returned items not complying with these requirements will be rejected.
    9.2.2 the Buyer will be liable for the cost of remedying any damage to the Goods returned where such damage has, in the opinion of the Seller, been caused by the Goods being inadequately packaged by the Buyer or through the Buyer’s fault.
    9.2.3. Unless a return is arranged under the Distance Selling Regulations (see 9.8), the Seller reserves the right to make a handling and restocking charge of 25% on Goods which are returned if they were ordered in error or are no longer required by the Buyer
    9.3 Any claim by the Buyer which is based on any defect in the quality or condition of the Goods or their failure to correspond with the specification shall (whether or not delivery is refused by the Buyer) be notified to the Seller within 5 days from the date of delivery or (where the defect or failure was not apparent on reasonable inspection) within a reasonable time after discovery of the defect or failure. If delivery is not refused and the Buyer does not notify the Seller accordingly, the Buyer shall not be entitled to reject the Goods and the Seller shall have no liability for such defect or failure, and the Buyer shall be bound to pay the price as if the Goods had been delivered in accordance with the terms of the contract.
    9.4 Where any valid claim in respect of any of the Goods which is based on any defect in the quality or conditions of the Goods or their failure to meet specification is notified to the Seller in accordance with these conditions, the Seller shall be entitled to replace the Goods (or any part thereof) free of charge or refund to the Buyer the price of the Goods (or a proportionate part of the price), but the Seller shall have no further liability to the Buyer.
    9.5 The Seller shall not give any credit for returned Goods where the Seller deems the Goods not to be faulty unless otherwise agreed in writing by the Seller.
    9.6 Any Goods in respect of which any claim of defect or damage is made by the Buyer shall be preserved by the Buyer intact together with the original packaging at the Buyer’s risk and shall at the request of the Seller be:
    9.6.1 retained by the Buyer for a reasonable period to enable the Seller or its agent to inspect the Goods; or
    9.6.2 collected from the Buyer by the Seller if the Goods are defective.
    9.7 Goods not featured in the Seller’s catalogue are not being subject to the normal returns policy and instructions for return should be confirmed with the Seller before returning the Goods.
    9.8 If you have ordered an item by mistake, or have changed your mind, you can send the item(s) back to us under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR). To return a product under the DSR the product should be in “as new” condition and all software unused and unregistered. The (DSR) is to designed to protect consumers from mistakes, change of mind, false advertisements and misrepresentations. Under DSR consumers are entitled to open and inspect goods to ensure goods are acceptable and “as advertised“. If you decide to reject goods under DSR you need to notify us in writing (by letter, fax or email) of your decision to cancel your order under Distance Selling Regulations within 7 working days after the day of delivery (Working days means all days other than Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays). Once you have notified us or your choice to return the goods under DSR you then have 28 days to return them to us at your expense.

To accept goods simply begin to use the product. It is important to note the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) does not mean “14 Day money back guarantee” or “try before you buy”. If a product is returned outside of DSR but within 14 Days of Delivery a restocking and/or restoration charge will be enforced.

You will be refunded within 30 days. Goods will be checked to ensure your return qualifies for cancellation under DSR.

Please note that all items returned would need to be provided in their original packaging and with any other accessories they may have been supplied with. Distance Selling Regulations do not apply to business customers.

Original Poster

Thanks people, I'm still going to try... Really annoying that they would do that though

Why ,Even 64bit PCs rarely use more than 2gb,

obriendean

Thanks people, I'm still going to try... Really annoying that they would … Thanks people, I'm still going to try... Really annoying that they would do that though

Just install x64 onto the laptop and use the x86 key... I believe they are interchangeable

It's extremely common for this to happen. x64 OS's are only just starting to get the same level of support as the 32-bit. You will currently have 3.25GB of usable RAM and the problem is there are 2 slots in the laptop and to fit anything more than 2GB you have to fith 4GB as you can't mix and match and can't fit 1.5GB in each slot because they simply aren't made like that.

You probably don't stand a chance of a refund as it would have specified the OS when you ordered it. Unless you are using fairly RAM intensive apps on it you probably won't miss the un-addressable 750MB of RAM anyway.

Other option is to purchase the 64-bit OS but you cannot simply do an upgrade from 32-64bit OS it will need to be wiped.

Lastly they may take the laptop back but charge a restocking fee as there isn't actually anything wrong with the laptop.

DragonChris

Just install x64 onto the laptop and use the x86 key... I believe they … Just install x64 onto the laptop and use the x86 key... I believe they are interchangeable

Yes they are but if the 32bit OS has been activated then the 64bit OS won't accept the key most likely.

CyDoNiA

Yes they are but if the 32bit OS has been activated then the 64bit OS … Yes they are but if the 32bit OS has been activated then the 64bit OS won't accept the key most likely.

A quick Google should answer that one
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions