Help deciding between Touran and Berlingo

Found 12th Apr 2016
Hey guys I would really appreciate your help.
I have a budget of £6000 for a new family car with some good space in it.

I am deciding between:

2012 Berlingo with 3750mls
gumtree.com/p/c…211

and

2009 Touran with 6000mls
millenniummotorsedinburgh.co.uk/use…09/

I do around 9000 miles a year mainly in the city, but a couple of weeks a year head of on holiday in it.

Open to other suggestions of other cars too.
Thanks so much as I'm pretty confused!
Community Updates
22 Comments
VW over the Citroen any day of the week.

But what you really want to ask, is why both have such a low mileage for their age?
nothing to devide there, stay away from french built vehicles
French crap VS German reliability?
I would look at a seat altea couple on autotrader in the budget
Original Poster
Over The Knee

Check out honestjohn.co.uk

​Thanks!
Original Poster
katchiib

VW over the Citroen any day of the week.But what you really want to ask, … VW over the Citroen any day of the week.But what you really want to ask, is why both have such a low mileage for their age?

​oops missed a zero on the end of mileage!
I had a 2007 from 1 year old, only issue in 8 years was esp/abs pump fault, this was fixed out of warranty for free by vw. Really practical big boot and seven seats (with tiny little boot).
Original Poster
Thanks to all. Going to look at the VW.
wowbiggy

I had a 2007 from 1 year old, only issue in 8 years was esp/abs pump … I had a 2007 from 1 year old, only issue in 8 years was esp/abs pump fault, this was fixed out of warranty for free by vw. Really practical big boot and seven seats (with tiny little boot).

​Touran forgot key detail
I would ignore all the French crap/German good remarks and just go with whatever car seems most practical/appealing to you. I have a 12 year old Berlingo that I bought new and still use now as a second car, and have never had any major issues with it, in that same time I've had six German cars of supposedly high quality/prestige and have had problems with all of them, some very expensive that the manufacturer's refused to repair or offer a good will payment shortly after the warranty expired.
They are very different cars to drive (i have driven both), the Touran is more sophisticated, whereas the Berlingo is more van-like.
In the choices you give above, I'd go for the newer Berlingo over a half life (and potentially expensive to repair) Touran.
I'm currently running two Citroen vans, a Relay and a Nemo. Both are good vehicles, but are clearly built to a price, but they are cheap to repair and run. I always get the feeling that if I didn't look after them they would go wrong.
My BMW, quality German engineering, has a list of faults as long as your arm, but feels like it will go on forever. Strange!
Why is this even a question?

Touran is easily the better choice.

To be fair though, The Berlingo is quite an ok van , It's pretty reliable and they don't give too many headaches in general as they're usually not crammed with electrical gadgets like their cars are and it's usually electrics at fault in French cars etc.. It is very van like though and build quality is poor.

Another thing to note, City driving in a Diesel isn't ideal, It'll clog up etc..

So the Touran would be a better option for you with it being petrol, It's less van like too.

Have you considered other MPV's?

I've got a 2.0 petrol S-max and it's a much nicer drive than the Touran and Berlingo, Better looking too.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 12th Apr 2016
shauneco

Touran is easily the better choice.

That depends on the criteria. The Berlingo is likely to be more practical if you're going to carry a lot of stuff, as well as more reliable and durable (it's half the age and almost half the mileage).

The two vehicles wouldn't have been direct rivals when new. The equivalent models in each range are the Berlingo and Caddy Life, and Touran and C4 Picasso.

The Berlingo is a van-based MPV. Being a van body it's designed to carry lots of stuff and be as practical as possible.

The Touran is a purpose built MPV. It won't be as spacious but it's likely to be better in areas like sound insulation and ride quality.

Both have their good points and bad points and will each appeal to different people.

Depending on what sort of space you need, whether height is important, then consider a big estate. It'll be nicer to drive and more fuel efficient.
I wouldnt bother with either unless you have given up on life, but i suppose at a push i would go for the vw
EndlessWaves

That depends on the criteria. The Berlingo is likely to be more practical … That depends on the criteria. The Berlingo is likely to be more practical if you're going to carry a lot of stuff, as well as more reliable and durable (it's half the age and almost half the mileage). The two vehicles wouldn't have been direct rivals when new. The equivalent models in each range are the Berlingo and Caddy Life, and Touran and C4 Picasso. The Berlingo is a van-based MPV. Being a van body it's designed to carry lots of stuff and be as practical as possible. The Touran is a purpose built MPV. It won't be as spacious but it's likely to be better in areas like sound insulation and ride quality. Both have their good points and bad points and will each appeal to different people.Depending on what sort of space you need, whether height is important, then consider a big estate. It'll be nicer to drive and more fuel efficient.

Exactly, But I'd still have the Touran over the Berlingo.

I'm not sure it'd be more reliable, Yes in general a diesel engine will do more miles if looked after but with lots of town driving and under 10k miles a year then a petrol would be a better choice. Modern engines are pretty good if looked after.

Age and mileage isn't everything lol.
Berlingo has sliding doors which is a major plus for some people.

We had the old berlingo 2.0hdi for years (sold it with 160K miles on the clock) and it was far more reliable than the audis I've had. I know people with tourans that have had big issues.
People still defending VAG cars to the death despite their recent lies...
Your basically driving around for 50 weeks a year in a dull car for the sake of 2 weeks holiday
shauneco

I'm not sure it'd be more reliable, Yes in general a diesel engine will … I'm not sure it'd be more reliable, Yes in general a diesel engine will do more miles if looked after but with lots of town driving and under 10k miles a year then a petrol would be a better choice.

Mainly city driving shouldn't be an issue for reliability unless you're talking about classic cars with early diesel engines. There was a specific issue with pollution filters (DPF) on some of the earlier models that has them that triggered if you never got the car above 30-40mph but even one or two faster journeys per week should be sufficient to make it work properly.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 4th May 2016
EndlessWaves

[u]Mainly[/url] city driving shouldn't be an issue for reliability unless … [u]Mainly[/url] city driving shouldn't be an issue for reliability unless you're talking about classic cars with early diesel engines. There was a specific issue with pollution filters (DPF) on some of the earlier models that has them that triggered if you never got the car above 30-40mph but even one or two faster journeys per week should be sufficient to make it work properly.

Dpf's are exactly the biggest problem with city driving, Lots of people drive for months on end doing 20-30mph doing short journeys to the shop and back, Hence clogged dpfs, turbos, egr's etc.etc.. can be expensive repairs.

Yes they'll be virtually problem free if you do a bit of motorway driving.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 12th Apr 2016
Original Poster
Ended up with a 2012 Skoda Roomster Petrol with 19K miles for £6500. Main dealer with very generous price for trade in too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions