Groups

HELP! DEVICE DRIVER NEEDED!

Hi - I really need some help/advice on where I can download a device driver for my computer as the CD/DVD RW is not working. I'm rubbish when it comes to computers and would really appreciate some help on where to download the driver to repair it.

The device is - OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5170A ATA

I gotta go food shopping but if anyone can or does help me I will rep for the effort!

9 Comments

DVD drives not working because of no driver is odd, is that the error that's showing in device manager?

There isn't even a driver for it listed on the ]optiarc website.

It should just use the standard windows driver without you needing to install one.

Banned

Is it windows XP?
    and seeing the drive but not working?
    If so, it may just be a registry change you need to make.

As Rediron said, the drivers indigenous to Windows are what you require because the drive transmit data via its Integrated Drive Electronics and the drivers within Windows are generic Integrated Drive Electronics drivers. However, that isn't your problem because Windows will always install the drivers when the drive becomes recognised but the problem is that the drive isn't being recognised due to the possibility of the filters issue.

The problem you are experiencing is due to upper filters and lower filters settings in the registry. Apples iTunes have been known to cause these issues as have installation of some Virtual Optical Drive software (eg. Daemon Tools).

The other possibility is that your drive isn't connected in which case a simple method of verification is to look in your BIOS. If your drive is physically connected and is recognised by the BIOS then you need to set the filters as per support.microsoft.com/kb/…461

Original Poster

soupy;5263481

Is it windows XP?and seeing the drive but not working?If so, it may just … Is it windows XP?and seeing the drive but not working?If so, it may just be a registry change you need to make.

It's windows vista and when i go to burn music to a disc it comes up with connect a burner and restart?

Original Poster

ElliottC;5263667

As Rediron said, the drivers indigenous to Windows are what you require … As Rediron said, the drivers indigenous to Windows are what you require because the drive transmit data via its Integrated Drive Electronics and the drivers within Windows are generic Integrated Drive Electronics drivers. However, that isn't your problem because Windows will always install the drivers when the drive becomes recognised but the problem is that the drive isn't being recognised due to the possibility of the filters issue.The problem you are experiencing is due to upper filters and lower filters settings in the registry. Apples iTunes have been known to cause these issues as have installation of some Virtual Optical Drive software (eg. Daemon Tools).The other possibility is that your drive isn't connected in which case a simple method of verification is to look in your BIOS. If your drive is physically connected and is recognised by the BIOS then you need to set the filters as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

I did install Apple iTunes a week ago and didn't like it so uninstalled it ......could that of done the damage?

Charlie23;5264193

I did install Apple iTunes a week ago and didn't like it so uninstalled … I did install Apple iTunes a week ago and didn't like it so uninstalled it ......could that of done the damage?

Yes it could have caused the problem. Even after uninstalling, iTunes does not repair the filters settings in the registry. If you follow the instructions on the Microsoft website that I supplied you should be able to solve your issues.

Original Poster

ElliottC;5264313

Yes it could have caused the problem. Even after uninstalling, iTunes … Yes it could have caused the problem. Even after uninstalling, iTunes does not repair the filters settings in the registry. If you follow the instructions on the Microsoft website that I supplied you should be able to solve your issues.

That's brilliant thank you ever so much for your help - will rep you! :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4872377
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27130
      3. GCSE Results day33
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846348

See more discussions