Expired

Help! Does anyone know where to buy Peppermint Water?

Found 27th Oct 2012
When in hospital recently I was given Peppermint Water which really helped.
It's especially used post-surgery and post-caesarian.
I asked my GP for a prescription but he said it was over the counter only.
No pharmacies near me know what it is, or say I need a prescription, and I'm even struggling online.
It's the Viridian one I'm after.
Please help! I have only found it available at Amazon for £12.99 + p&p but that seems really expensive.
If anyone has found it or knows any more than I do then please let me know.
Thanks!
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
Original Poster
tinkerbell28

Enteric coated peppemint oil capsules from holland and barratt will do a … Enteric coated peppemint oil capsules from holland and barratt will do a better job.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
I liked the hot drink though, found it quite comforting.
Finding the peppermint water is driving me crazy, being told different things by different people (GP says its over the counter, pharmacists saying it's prescription only etc).
Could it be peppermint tea?
Original Poster
tinkerbell28

You can get it on prescription. The thing is though...it's not really … You can get it on prescription. The thing is though...it's not really stocked anywhere as the active ingredient is peppermint oil. So it's better taken as a coated capsule.You should try health food shops.

Tried the local health food shops, they weren't much help and said that they don't do it.
I will get some of the capsules to try them, handy to keep in anyway as having problems with complications from the surgery still & I know the peppermint water helped so makes sense that the capsules will.
I'll still try and buy the water as well if I can, it was quite comforting as well as effective.

backtothecaves

Could it be peppermint tea?

Nope, peppermint water is different and stronger. I don't know how it works but it's fab stuff, peppermint tea just doesn't settle my stomach down like the peppermint water does.

There's loads of places online recommending it, nowhere I can see to easily buy it.
Original Poster
tinkerbell28

You don't need to get the expensive branded capsules. Get the ones from … You don't need to get the expensive branded capsules. Get the ones from h&b, more capsules, stronger and entric coated.

The 90 bottle is out of stock X) is there a run on this peppermint stuff at the moment? lol
Will send a friend into town in the next few days and ask them to pick some up in store, they've got their 2nd for 1p promo on at the moment so will make the most of that.
Thanks for all the help.
Mod & Ed
If you can get a prescription from your gp you can buy it online here or maybe call / email viridian to ask for local stockists close to you
Phone (01633) 400335 info@viridianpharma.co.uk. or even their wholesale distribution network aah.co.uk/loc…ons
Original Poster
wishihadadonkey

If you can get a prescription from your gp you can buy it online here or … If you can get a prescription from your gp you can buy it online here or maybe call / email viridian to ask for local stockists close to youPhone (01633) 400335 info@viridianpharma.co.uk. or even their wholesale distribution network http://www.aah.co.uk/locations

Thanks, I'll make a telephone appointment next week and ask for a prescription...again, and then contact Viridian for a local stockist.
The way they were handing it out at the hospital (post-op ward) you'd think it was a regularly used, and available, product.
Original Poster
tinkerbell28

No probs they are really very popular. One of the best you can buy.

Will deffo get them, thank you.
mumbojumbo

Peppermint water is 0.5ml peppermint essential oil in 1.0l purified … Peppermint water is 0.5ml peppermint essential oil in 1.0l purified water. It's classed as a herbal product. Some hospital pharmacies will mix their own as many elderly patients are used to taking it.

This! When I worked in a hospital years ago, the nurses used to make up "peppermint cocktails" for patients who had trapped wind after abdominal surgery. There were different "recipes" according to what each nurse had been taught usually when doing their training, but they usually consisted of a couple of drops of peppermint oil, some codeine linctus, and water. These ingredients were in the drugs trolley already. The peppermint helped ease the wind, and the codeine helped the pain. So, you could make your own with peppermint oil and hot water. Check with your local pharmacist for the dilution. Good luck.

Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 27th Oct 2012
Not in the BNF or MEP so dunno about whether it's P or POM. Have you tried asking your local chemist to order it in for you? When I worked at boots if it's on the system then we'd order it if the customer was prepared to pay.

Someone earlier posted that AAH supply it. AFAIK AAH supply to lloyds and other supermarket pharmacies so I would ask those to order it in for you.
Peppermint cordial no good? You can adjust the strength to your taste then!
m.tesco.com/mt/…798
momartin

Peppermint cordial no good? You can adjust the strength to your taste … Peppermint cordial no good? You can adjust the strength to your taste then! http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254854798

When I worked in a pub people used to ask for a shot of that stuff when they had indigestion. It seemed to do the job for them but the ingredients don't look that great.
Banned
I think I might need some of this stuff.

I am unwell at the moment
DLM

I think I might need some of this stuff.I am unwell at the moment

What's up?
Original Poster
mumbojumbo

Peppermint water is 0.5ml peppermint essential oil in 1.0l purified … Peppermint water is 0.5ml peppermint essential oil in 1.0l purified water. It's classed as a herbal product. Some hospital pharmacies will mix their own as many elderly patients are used to taking it.

Badders256

Not in the BNF or MEP so dunno about whether it's P or POM. Have you … Not in the BNF or MEP so dunno about whether it's P or POM. Have you tried asking your local chemist to order it in for you? When I worked at boots if it's on the system then we'd order it if the customer was prepared to pay. Someone earlier posted that AAH supply it. AFAIK AAH supply to lloyds and other supermarket pharmacies so I would ask those to order it in for you.

When I was in they used readymade stuff and gave me a bottle to take home, looked like this:
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/sickly_sweet_photos/DCD584E0-48E3-466B-9DAC-8855B18F8641-1041-000000A4FCE84407.jpg

Been to maybe 5 different chemists, answers varied between 'prescription only' and 'no idea what it is'. Tried Boots, Lloyds, Tesco and independent ones.

I'll get the peppermint capsules in the mean time and ask my normal GP if they can help, I just remembered I've got an appointment on Wednesday anyway so will ask again then.

Thank you very much for the help
And DLM, I hope that you feel better soon.
you get two brands in the pharmacy which you can buy or get prescribed they are called: colpermin and mintec

small pack of calpermin is 20 capsule which is about 5 pounds so would be cheaper get a box of 100 on rx.

Banned
miikeyblue

What's up?

I think I am allergic to wine or mushrooms :-(
Banned
sickly sweet

Not in the BNF or MEP so dunno about whether it's P or POM. Have you … Not in the BNF or MEP so dunno about whether it's P or POM. Have you tried asking your local chemist to order it in for you? When I worked at boots if it's on the system then we'd order it if the customer was prepared to pay. Someone earlier posted that AAH supply it. AFAIK AAH supply to lloyds and other supermarket pharmacies so I would ask those to order it in for you.

Been to maybe 5 different chemists, answers varied between 'prescription only' and 'no idea what it is'. Tried Boots, Lloyds, Tesco and independent ones.

I'll get the peppermint capsules in the mean time and ask my normal GP if they can help, I just remembered I've got an appointment on Wednesday anyway so will ask again then.

Thank you very much for the help
And DLM, I hope that you feel better soon.[/quote]

I hope so too, I need to get back to work.

Can you not contact the hospital pharmacy and see if they will give you some.

Good luck!
Peppermint Water is completely different to just peppermint oil or peppermint cordial. The name Peppermint Water is deceptive as it is far stronger than other more effective. Peppermint water is recognised by Doctors in hospitals because of this as an effective traeatment for minor digestive issues and post operation.
What hospitals can prescribe is different to what your GP can prescribe so you may have trouble with some GP's and PCT's.
Banned
I bought some M&S peppermint tea today because of this thread and it is nice.
My nurse just recommended peppermint water for me-same dilemma-very expensive on Amazon-going on an expedition to my local town this morning-will update if succesful.
let us know if you find at a decent price.
there's a long-established herbalists/health food shop near me which might be able to help :

baldwins.co.uk/cat…int
xe01

My nurse just recommended peppermint water for me-same dilemma-very … My nurse just recommended peppermint water for me-same dilemma-very expensive on Amazon-going on an expedition to my local town this morning-will update if succesful.

Get it on prescription: Lloyds Chemist.
Not read through ALL the posts so it may have been mentioned, you can buy peppermint cordial that you dilute. I suspect that is very similar and I found it a godsend when I was pregnant. Good luck

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants