Groups

Help Downgrading from Intel Quad Q6600 2.66GHz to Dual Core 2 Duo Processor 2.13GHz

I need help downgrading from Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.66Ghz to Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz. I will give my dad the lower spec Philips machine for web browzing, word processing, etc. And the Quad I will put in my dell.

I have recently purchased the Philips HEPC 7511 from PC World, Product code: 819725.

* Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
    * 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache
    * Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
    * 2GB Memory
    * 400GB Hard Drive
    * Dual Layer DVD Rewriter
    * 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500 Graphics
    * 6 USB connections.

I have sucessfully removed the Q6600 C2Q and put into my DELL machine where the bios automatically detects it. Although when I (downgrade) put the E6400 C2D into the Philips machine the system does not boot all the way through to windows. Does any1 know a way to solve this problem please or how I can configure the BIOS.

Many Thanks

10 Comments

unplug the power lead take the battery out of the board then pop it back in, power up and the bios will detect the new cpu

Original Poster

cool

I will try that

Hi

I work for Pc world, i would not recomend taking out the battery as some are non removable.
    Your best bet is to find the model number of the motherboard , once you've got that you can find the motherboard manual in which you will find the bios reset jumper (a small piece of plastic that covers 2 pins) place it over the reset pins (obviously with the power cable disconected) plug in and switch in on (it will seem as though nothing happened but don't worry thats supposed to happen) unplug again put the pin back in its original position and plug it all back in switch on and voila!

Only one bad thing though, unfortunate according to pc world policy, but messing with the insides it will void your warranty!

Good news is though, if you don't mention the fact that you have opened it you can take it into your local PCW and chances are they won't even realise and do it for you! :whistling:;-)

probably windows looking for the extra cores lol, try the restore disk
    non-removeable soldered batteries, aint seen one of them in a while

hmm pcworld, must be an expert ........ dont mention the fact you've opened it lol the pcworld technicians wont notice there's a different cpu in there

m8 seriously I’ve been working for them for over 6 years most technicians (unfortunately for the company) probably couldn't be arsed to check the model number of the cpu! plus there is no definitive way of telling you opened it (just being honest!)!

Its true that not many boards now come with soldered bios batteries but considering the "Philips" brand of computers are actually Dixons groups very own advent computers just with a Philips brand name they licensed for a LOT of money! not many people know that even most staff have no idea! (nothing else insinuated, honest) so it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest 2 c that they used a really cheap motherboard.

Original Poster

thanks I have solved the problem!!!

Kevlar Engineer;1710845

thanks I have solved the problem!!!

thats very helpful for others who may face a similar problem in future, not
    Tthen we'll have to go thru the same things again!!

pcworld guru;1704419

HiI work for Pc world, i would not recomend taking out the battery as … HiI work for Pc world, i would not recomend taking out the battery as some are non removable. Your best bet is to find the model number of the motherboard , once you've got that you can find the motherboard manual in which you will find the bios reset jumper (a small piece of plastic that covers 2 pins) place it over the reset pins (obviously with the power cable disconected) plug in and switch in on (it will seem as though nothing happened but don't worry thats supposed to happen) unplug again put the pin back in its original position and plug it all back in switch on and voila!Only one bad thing though, unfortunate according to pc world policy, but messing with the insides it will void your warranty!Good news is though, if you don't mention the fact that you have opened it you can take it into your local PCW and chances are they won't even realise and do it for you! :whistling:;-)

Opening a PC DOES NOT void the warranty. It has been proven. A PC is made to be upgradable and if it isn't cannot be marketted under such terms. I know because I already pwned Dixons about 13 years ago with my wifes P120 and then Tiny a few years later. I used a test case at the time to prove it. Thats why there are no seals on PCs. When I ran a spur (line) for IBM there were no seals on the laptops either simply because they are made to be upgradable. I remember all the old tricks little shops used to use, like tippex with blue ink in the screws, thats all past and done with now.

Cackles;1721032

Opening a PC DOES NOT void the warranty. It has been proven. A PC is made … Opening a PC DOES NOT void the warranty. It has been proven. A PC is made to be upgradable and if it isn't cannot be marketted under such terms. I know because I already pwned Dixons about 13 years ago with my wifes P120 and then Tiny a few years later. I used a test case at the time to prove it. Thats why there are no seals on PCs. When I ran a spur (line) for IBM there were no seals on the laptops either simply because they are made to be upgradable. I remember all the old tricks little shops used to use, like tippex with blue ink in the screws, thats all past and done with now.

interesting but i doubt u faced much competition back then, would have thought the case may go slightly different with that now, what was your precedent? and would maybe help others if u gave case details
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions