Groups

Help finding a new 40" tv LCD or Plasma etc... and best deals

Hi, i want to buy a new tv, i want a 40" one but dont know where to start with all the different specs etc.. can anyone give me a brief explaination on the tech details and which is the best to go for.
    Many thanks
    Tracey

14 Comments

momagic;1632417

http://www.digico.co.uk/model.asp?Detail=Yes&ModelID=1927

I've seen cheaper.

ebuyer.com/pro…764
    Slightly cheaper, and its a named product :thumbsup:

Banned

How long is a piece of string?

Probably an idea to give a price range and what it will be used for. (eg Blu-Ray Films etc)

Also 40"? Is 42" no good? Most sets this size are 42", so unless you really dont want an extra 2", youve removed an awful lot of choice.

Original Poster

no i dont mind the 42" but like i say i dont no a lot about them, i havent even looked into wat blu-ray is thats how far behind i am (or thickwhichever) but thanks for the replies
    I just want a reasonable price, £600-£800??ish and a reliable make

Banned

This is great for the price as 4% quidco reduction and free delivery and a 5 year warranty (£625 delivered for 42" philips plasma).

johnlewis.com/230…spx

Original Poster

csiman;1632993

This is great for the price as 4% quidco reduction and free delivery and … This is great for the price as 4% quidco reduction and free delivery and a 5 year warranty (£625 delivered for 42" philips plasma).http://www.johnlewis.com/230430041/Product.aspx

thanks, i like the idea of 5 yrs warranty and i may be anle to get a discount for first time orders at john lewis

Banned

Yep. never get one without a lengthy warranty as with a bit of luck it will go wrong in year 5 and so they will have to replace with a new model

Original Poster

do u no if this one is any good, it comes with a 3ys warranty from costco and they are very good at having things bak wen they go wrong
    froogle.hughesdirect.co.uk/sho…00U
    this is expensive but it is on offer at costco for £714

Banned

miffy121;1633156

do u no if this one is any good, it comes with a 3ys warranty from costco … do u no if this one is any good, it comes with a 3ys warranty from costco and they are very good at having things bak wen they go wronghttp://www.froogle.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SON-KDL40D3500Uthis is expensive but it is on offer at costco for £714

good price but always check avforums.com for detailed info.

Original Poster

csiman;1633173

good price but always check http://www.avforums.com for detailed info.

i will thanks, one more question which is better to go for lcd or plasma? in ur opinion

Banned

miffy121;1633195

i will thanks, one more question which is better to go for lcd or plasma? … i will thanks, one more question which is better to go for lcd or plasma? in ur opinion

At £600 price bracket, defintely Plasma. I have LCD & plasma and LCD has been relegated to a spare bedroom!

"At £600 price bracket, defintely Plasma. I have LCD & plasma and LCD has been relegated to a spare bedroom!"

having had both i have to agree but must stress only way to buy a tv is go look at it working.
    That is unless u can afford to throw it away cos u cant stand the thing looking at you nite after nite

ps if you have kids or anyone likely to leave still images on screen for ages consider an lcd, nothing worse than sky tv guide burnt in as my m8 found out when his 8 year old left it on all day

Banned

Since your price range is £6-800, I would suggest ]this is the only model to go for! at £663

Its £899 at John Lewis - so get them to price match and get their free warrenty. (they will price match with digital direct)

guv;1634179

Since your price range is £6-800, I would suggest ]this is the only model … Since your price range is £6-800, I would suggest ]this is the only model to go for! at £663Its £899 at John Lewis - so get them to price match and get their free warrenty. (they will price match with digital direct)

JL have zero stock and no more coming.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?22
      2. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door77
      3. Oculus Desktop - new or used22
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …44

See more discussions