Help finding an address

32 replies
Found 16th Jun 2011
I have just finished a war book and I found it really moving and feel the need to write to the gentleman who the book is based around. I have got the main part of his address but was wondering if anyone on here could possibly find it for me?

bit of a strange request but I have never felt the need to write to somebody like this......

Thanks in advance.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

The usual way to contact an author is to write to either the publisher or his agent (if you can find it). They will pass letters on.

There's an anecdote in one of Bill Bryson's books about how a fan of his sent him a letter by addressing it simply as "Bill Bryson, Writer, New England". Remarkably, it got there. I can't see the same trick working here though, so, yeah, via the publisher is probably the best bet. Kudos for writing to the chap, btw - I'm sure he'll feel mighty touched.

you could try 192.com he may be listed on there

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/misery.jpg

this could end......... amusingly but aye as above google searching be best bet

Original Poster

the thing is he isn't the author but the story is written about him, he is 93 and I was just amazed at what he did.

Original Poster

I would be so grateful if someone could help me out. Part of his address is on 192.com but you have to pay for the rest

I'll go first in this game of Guess who.

Has he got glasses :lol

Original Poster

lol

lol you want people to help you find this person without any details, book name, persons name 'main part of his address' ?

dontasciime

I'll go first in this game of Guess who.Has he got glasses :lol

lol

is it Louis Zamperini ?

Original Poster

ok if people want a name then it is denis G Avey and the book is The man who broke into Auschwitz. the start of his address is Hope Valley, Derbyshire, S33 its just the rest that I need.

Banned

dontasciime

I'll go first in this game of Guess who.Has he got glasses :lol

Guess Who is RACIST!

Original Poster

Im really hoping someone can help me.

brettytopbanana

ok if people want a name then it is denis G Avey and the book is The man … ok if people want a name then it is denis G Avey and the book is The man who broke into Auschwitz. the start of his address is Hope Valley, Derbyshire, S33 its just the rest that I need.

Could he be contacted through a social network like facebook, twitter etc?

Or on his wikipedia page there are several newspaper articles this year about him, perhaps you could contact the newspapers and ask them to forward a message to him.
Edited by: "greg_68" 16th Jun 2011

Banned

brettytopbanana

Im really hoping someone can help me.

Contact the author.

/Thread.

Original Poster

absolutely no chance, he is 93 and I think he would much prefer an old fashioned letter!

brettytopbanana

absolutely no chance, he is 93 and I think he would much prefer an old … absolutely no chance, he is 93 and I think he would much prefer an old fashioned letter!

I only mean as an initial contact point just so you can get an address to send the letter.

Original Poster

its a nice idea but I dont think he is on there.

greg_68

Could he be contacted through a social network like facebook, twitter … Could he be contacted through a social network like facebook, twitter etc?Or on his wikipedia page there are several newspaper articles this year about him, perhaps you could contact the newspapers and ask them to forward a message to him.

Newspaper angle is your best bet or pay the £2 to yell.com

Original Poster

i think I may have found it but just hope that someone an confirm it.

If you're so moved to write, you should probably just pay the small £2 fee to make sure the author gets it.

Original Poster

where does it cost £2? 192.com are asking for £9.95?!!

I have the UK INFO disks [2008] that lists most people who are on the electoral roll , I think thats where they get the info from.I would just need a name and a county and it lists everyone with the same name and even people in the same street. Just PM me the details you have and I'll look on the disk for you .............in the strictest confidence , of course.

Original Poster

you have PM

Original Poster

anyone please?!!

Original Poster

Just an update on this . I sent the letter to the publishers via email and they passed it onto Mr Avey. I have just had a three page hand written response from him. It is quite exciting and moving in a way to think that he took the time to read my letter and respond to me.
A great start to a saturday!!!

brettytopbanana

Just an update on this . I sent the letter to the publishers via email … Just an update on this . I sent the letter to the publishers via email and they passed it onto Mr Avey. I have just had a three page hand written response from him. It is quite exciting and moving in a way to think that he took the time to read my letter and respond to me. A great start to a saturday!!!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/whatdid_platinum_edition_1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/wtf_did_he_say.jpg

Original Poster

he just explained that he was really pleased I had written to him. Explained how difficult it was for him to put his experiences into print but said my letter had a big impact on him. I am pleased I did it, it is not something I would normally do but I just felt I had to do it!

Are you able to send me his address I have also read the book and have been looking for an address to write to him since I finsihed the book.

What a lovely outcome. This gentleman is a remarkable man and it is wonderful to know that at 93 he is still coherent. A true gentleman.

I also wrote to the Publishers of a book where I was mesmerized by a character. The publishers were very kind and wrote back. Sadly the outcome was not the same as yours and I was gutted to discover that Big Ears was not a real person.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56529
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle56
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions