Help finding awkward tyre size

Posted 10th Oct
Struggling to find tyres for my car, the size is 165/60/15 but can't find any tyres that are an A or B rating for wet grip without being really poor for fuel consumption too.
Tried all the usual suspects tyre-shopper, blackcircle etc but some places only have two or three tyres for that size let alone a good selection of ratings.
Any tips on where to look?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Last time I was in that situation I actually found it cheaper to buy a set of alloys plus tyres in a more 'standard' size. Then every time after that I was able to buy reasonably priced good quality tyres.
Probably not much choice. Continental ContiEco Contact 5 81H XL in your size is B B.
AndyRoyd10/10/2019 20:39

Probably not much choice. Continental ContiEco Contact 5 81H XL in your …Probably not much choice. Continental ContiEco Contact 5 81H XL in your size is B B.

My current tyres are 77H for load and speed can I go with a different rating as long as the actual tyre size is OK?
sparky6410/10/2019 20:47

My current tyres are 77H for load and speed can I go with a different …My current tyres are 77H for load and speed can I go with a different rating as long as the actual tyre size is OK?

Higher is (should be) no issue.
Bear in mind the tests behind these sorts of labels are often simplistic and may not reflect reality.

For example rolling resistance is tested against a smooth steel drum. The trouble with this method is that it completely ignores a major factor of rolling resistance - how well a tyre conforms around obstacles

I'm not sure about wider car tyres, but for bike tyres the ability to mould around bumps is so much more influential in how efficient it is in real life that steel drum tests can produce completely the opposite order of results to road tests.

In short, if there are better tyre models available they're likely to be good regardless of whether they score well on the label.
Putting lower speed/load rated tyres on may invalidate your insurance.
Go for wet grip (safety) ignore fuel consumption it's so minimal you wouldn't even notice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants