Help formatting extrernal HD to Fat 32

I've just bought an external harddrive to use with my PS3 and need to format to Fat32 to be able to use it.
However, i've just used 'swissknife' to delete the NTFS partition that was on there and then it tells you to restart the program which will allow you to then format to FAT32. However, the program will now no longer work, keeps saying windows has stopped working.
I've tried reinstalling it with no luck. I'm now stuck with a portable drive that wont show on my computer and i don't know how to format it, can anybody help?
Thanks in advance

16 Comments

Western Digital do a free download on their website. FAT32 formater for large disks. You may need to go into disk management on your computer and format the drive as NTFS for it to show up in windows explorer first though.

i had to do this yesterday m8, took me for ages found a nifty wee program, cant find it just now give me 2 mins. worked an absolute treat

just right click on the drive in windows and format
just change the pull down box to fat32

Original Poster

Heavertron;4009212

Western Digital do a free download on their website. FAT32 formater for … Western Digital do a free download on their website. FAT32 formater for large disks. You may need to go into disk management on your computer and format the drive as NTFS for it to show up in windows explorer first though.

Thanks for that, will check their website. How do i find the disk management thing?

Original Poster

djnaff;4009243

just right click on the drive in windows and formatjust change the pull … just right click on the drive in windows and formatjust change the pull down box to fat32

It's not showing in windows. That's my problem :thumbsup:

Original Poster

mcfallg;4009238

i had to do this yesterday m8, took me for ages found a nifty wee … i had to do this yesterday m8, took me for ages found a nifty wee program, cant find it just now give me 2 mins. worked an absolute treat

Thank you, would be most appreciated :thumbsup:

try windows disk manager then
right click my computer - manage - disk manager

delete the volume then add a fat32 one

Original Poster

djnaff;4009384

try windows disk manager thenright click my computer - manage - disk … try windows disk manager thenright click my computer - manage - disk manager delete the volume then add a fat32 one

Ok, tried that and it 'appears' to format it, but the dive still doesn't show up under 'my computer'?

just found it m8, type "fat32formatter" into google, first link. its the dogs ******** really simple to use hope this works

change usb port

Original Poster

mcfallg;4009454

just found it m8, type "fat32formatter" into google, first link. its the … just found it m8, type "fat32formatter" into google, first link. its the dogs ******** really simple to use hope this works

K, downloaded that and it comes up on there as 'not allocated' and tells me to initialise. which i click and nothing appears to happen!?

littlesheepy;4009519

K, downloaded that and it comes up on there as 'not allocated' and tells … K, downloaded that and it comes up on there as 'not allocated' and tells me to initialise. which i click and nothing appears to happen!?

you need to click something on the right hand side, a box or a square or something and then the convert button should become available

it is really quick, may have done it. open my computer and right click the drive and see if it now says fat32??

Original Poster

dontasciime;4009499

change usb port

Still nothing

Original Poster

mcfallg;4009543

it is really quick, may have done it. open my computer and right click … it is really quick, may have done it. open my computer and right click the drive and see if it now says fat32??

How much do i love you!? Thank you so much. Now sorted :thumbsup:
Rep will be left for all help, thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213607
    2. Better watch out for these...1118
    3. Sad news about Barcelona811
    4. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!55

See more discussions