HELP! Fried Motherboard - What Are My Options?

Posted 7th Dec 2022

So, my son has a Dell 3511 laptop (512GB SSD, 8GB RAM, i5-1135g7) and he's had it around a year. He managed to smash the screen and I decided to buy a new one and replace it.

Bang! That's what the motherboard said when I opened up the case - I clearly hadn't let the static discharge from the laptop/my hands. So, now the motherboard is fried and the laptop won't turn on. I did manage to change the screen though!

A new motherboard including fitting (way beyond my limited tech skills) is £330. A brand new (exact same) laptop from John Lewis is £550.

What would you do? Would it be worth buying a new one and selling the old for parts?
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have never had any issue with static discharge on any electrical components ever!

Worked in IT for 22yrs now and yet to even see or wear an ES wrist band!

You were going some to fry a mobo from static! Are you sure you haven't knocked or broken another cable somewhere when taking it apart?
    Author
    Definitely seems like the motherboard... went to a local computer repair shop (good reviews!) who have confirmed it too. Literally nothing happens in the laptop whatsoever... no fan, no SSD spinning, etc.
    Sounds like a capacitor went. Look for them on the board and if they have blown. Might be an easy fix.
    Also static doesnt kill devices in that loud way.. its more of a silent killer in my experience.
    It's toast.... suck it up and buy a new one.

Also an IT expert...
    Author
    New motherboard? Or new laptop and sell the old one (somehow) for parts?
    If you have access to Costco, else £15 extra for online membership. link
    How much did you spend on the screen? Is the sunk cost of a replacement screen worth then going for the replacement motherboard? Can you resell the screen for enough to make it worthwhile?
    Author
    Screen was only £40. Not sure if I could sell it for that much though, as it's no longer "new".
    I reckon if you managed to replace the screen, you'd probably manage to replace the motherboard yourself.
    Been in the electronics industry for 23 yrs and Never seen esd happen quick like this, not to say it can't. Esd sensitive Components can fail weeks or sometimes months down the line due to esd damage. Just to be sure I always wear a tested wrist strap
    If you saw sparks, probably not static. The mb must still of had power connected. More likely a short from the screw driver, rogue loose screw, loose wire/cable or something else touching the mb.

If you managed to change the screen, you can probably change the mb yourself. If your careful and watch some YouTube videos. But it's upto you if you want to save money and risk it or just replace it. If things go wrong you might end up doing both. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants