Help from any bike experts on which parts I need to replace as some parts were stolen yesterday

Posted 10th Sep
Hi, would appreciate any help with identifying which parts to replace on my bike? I have photos and can provide a link to the bike with the spec, but sadly as its oos, I think the only option is to rebuy the parts and have them installed.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
do you want to share pictures here showing what has been stolen?
Bertz9910/09/2020 10:52

Yes - pics underneath:

41881535-2xObz.jpg41881535-9I98t.jpg41881535-En6sY.jpg41881535-PtvLz.jpg41881535-c3fnv.jpg
Bertz9910/09/2020 10:52

Link to bike spec, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Just annoyed as I believe it was a safe location with cctv and this happened.

parkersofbolton.co.uk/pro…ike
Looks like the crankset/chainset. Cant see in those pics that anything is missing at the back.
Edited by: "mas99" 10th Sep
mas9910/09/2020 10:58

Looks like the crankset/chainset. Cant see in those pics that anything …Looks like the crankset/chainset. Cant see in those pics that anything is missing at the back.

I'm not sure what this bottom part is called, but its very bent, where I assumed they were trying to take off the back wheel

41881606-3Brvc.jpg
Sorry I cant see that clearly. The rear derailleur will look strange without tension on the chain.
Looks like youre going to need a new bottom bracket, chain, pedals, cranks arms and chainset?

Did they just wreck it because they couldnt pinch it?
So they have nicked your crankset, axle and pedals from what I can see

think the crankset you had was this FC-M4050-B
mas9910/09/2020 11:05

Sorry I cant see that clearly. The rear derailleur will look strange …Sorry I cant see that clearly. The rear derailleur will look strange without tension on the chain.

It does look bent from what I can see, will take another look
themachman10/09/2020 11:07

Looks like youre going to need a new bottom bracket, chain, pedals, cranks …Looks like youre going to need a new bottom bracket, chain, pedals, cranks arms and chainset?Did they just wreck it because they couldnt pinch it?

Thanks, will look up those parts.

Yes I padlocked along the blue line with an on-guard. I think they were trying to get the back wheel off to get all the bike, but luckily didn't manage to
41881864-yLIRq.jpg
Bertz9910/09/2020 11:17

So they have nicked your crankset, axle and pedals from what I can see …So they have nicked your crankset, axle and pedals from what I can see think the crankset you had was this FC-M4050-B

Thanks will put a list together and share, would appreciate confirmation from everyone whose helped if possible
jobi59uk10/09/2020 11:35

Thanks will put a list together and share, would appreciate confirmation …Thanks will put a list together and share, would appreciate confirmation from everyone whose helped if possible

The axle is often built into the chainring side on these rather than being a seperate part.
The crank arms come in different lengths, the spec of the bike might tell you what was on your bike typically 170 or 175, might get shorter on smaller frame sizes, longer on bigger.

tbh you'll probably find that you can upgrade for the same price as replacing like for like. If Bertz99 is correct about the model then you can probably get a deore or something instead of the ailvio. shop around.

You might want to think about the gearing - you may want to see what options are available - if that matters for your use. Sometimes the crankset/chainset will come with a replacement bottom bracket, sometimes not.
I hate thief's , there a bike I want to buy but getting it stolen is putting me of purchasing
mas9910/09/2020 11:45

The axle is often built into the chainring side on these rather than being …The axle is often built into the chainring side on these rather than being a seperate part. The crank arms come in different lengths, the spec of the bike might tell you what was on your bike typically 170 or 175, might get shorter on smaller frame sizes, longer on bigger.tbh you'll probably find that you can upgrade for the same price as replacing like for like. If Bertz99 is correct about the model then you can probably get a deore or something instead of the ailvio. shop around.You might want to think about the gearing - you may want to see what options are available - if that matters for your use. Sometimes the crankset/chainset will come with a replacement bottom bracket, sometimes not.

I think i will need a bit of time to research as I'm a novice and im sure after a bit of reading this will all make sense. Thanks for the advice all, I hope I can restore the bike to a better glory
jobi59uk10/09/2020 12:27

I think i will need a bit of time to research as I'm a novice and im sure …I think i will need a bit of time to research as I'm a novice and im sure after a bit of reading this will all make sense. Thanks for the advice all, I hope I can restore the bike to a better glory

Shimano list what parts are compatible with what other parts like shown in this link:

vcmb.fr/cyc….pd

Checking the details of the parts you have you should be able to tie up and work out what Front crank options are suitable/possible.
Bertz9910/09/2020 13:07

Shimano list what parts are compatible with what other parts like shown in …Shimano list what parts are compatible with what other parts like shown in this link:https://www.vcmb.fr/cyclo/phocadownload/VCMB/mecanique_shimano/shimano_2018-2019_compatibility_v29_en.pdChecking the details of the parts you have you should be able to tie up and work out what Front crank options are suitable/possible.

Thanks this will really help
Think these photos might help more and the back wheel is now falling off.
41883587-D4wOu.jpg41883587-I9jvI.jpg41883587-NiqWW.jpg
Can you push the derailleur down with one hand and take a photo looking straight on from the back? It looks ok from this angle but would need to see it from the back to get an idea if it's bent or not.

It looks like the bottom brackset is still there so you'd just need the crankset and pedals.

You've said the back wheel is falling out but it looks like the quick release is still there, you should be able to push the wheel back into position and lock it in using the quick release lever or is there a problem with it?
Edited by: "Johnmcl7" 10th Sep
Johnmcl710/09/2020 15:26

Can you push the derailleur down with one hand and take a photo looking …Can you push the derailleur down with one hand and take a photo looking straight on from the back? It looks ok from this angle but would need to see it from the back to get an idea if it's bent or not.It looks like the bottom brackset is still there so you'd just need the crankset and pedals.You've said the back wheel is falling out but it looks like the quick release is still there, you should be able to push the wheel back into position and lock it in using the quick release lever or is there a problem with it?

Took two photos, hopefully that helps. I just did up the quick release lever and the wheel is back on . So based on this what do you think is needed?
41884057-MzqCg.jpg41884057-CZTsl.jpg
thieves. Not sure if you have home insurance that covers out and about.
MR112310/09/2020 16:22

thieves. Not sure if you have home insurance that covers out and … thieves. Not sure if you have home insurance that covers out and about.

Unfortunately I don't have the cover that does, so I'm hoping to get the parts and repair back to better than before. I have no words for the people that did it, was angry yesterday, but its life I guess!
jobi59uk10/09/2020 15:48

Took two photos, hopefully that helps. I just did up the quick release …Took two photos, hopefully that helps. I just did up the quick release lever and the wheel is back on . So based on this what do you think is needed?[Image] [Image]

you want some end caps to stop that cable continuing to fray

wiggle.co.uk/lif…BwE
What utter, utter scum bags. I am beyond angry for you!
I'm thinking to buy the following crank set and pedals, are they the right ones/will they work with my bike? would the axle come with the crank set? Also need to figure out if I need 170mm or 175mm for the bike, it is a 20" frame.

bikester.co.uk/shi…tml

bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/ral…418
Bertz9910/09/2020 11:17

So they have nicked your crankset, axle and pedals from what I can see …So they have nicked your crankset, axle and pedals from what I can see think the crankset you had was this FC-M4050-B

Is this right on the crankset as it says the following on the spec of the bike?

Chainset: Deore 36-22T.
jobi59uk11/09/2020 21:58

Is this right on the crankset as it says the following on the spec of the …Is this right on the crankset as it says the following on the spec of the bike? Chainset: Deore 36-22T.

maybe - as stated was a "think" rather than a "know"

I was going via what Shimano explicitly states compatible with the rest of the components you have that are 2x9 rather than 2x10.

their link this time:productinfo.shimano.com/.

Personally, difference you are going to feel between Alivio and Deore on a Front Crank I would go for the cheaper option.

On the pedals and needing to buy have you considered something with cleats like the m324.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 12th Sep
Bertz9912/09/2020 02:04

maybe - as stated was a "think" rather than a "know" I was going via …maybe - as stated was a "think" rather than a "know" I was going via what Shimano explicitly states compatible with the rest of the components you have that are 2x9 rather than 2x10. their link this time:https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-432&acid=C-442.Personally, difference you are going to feel between Alivio and Deore on a Front Crank I would go for the cheaper option.On the pedals and needing to buy have you considered something with cleats like the m324.

Thanks bought the alivio and cleats, should hopefully have them back on the bike soon. Will report back and appreciate yours and everyone's help
Post a comment
@
    Text