Groups

Help from any Techie HUKD'ers - Debranding my Nokia 5800 - REP given for help

I read through a few threads on here which give links to sites which give step by step guide on how to debrand the Nokia 5800. I have the phone from T-mobile but want to use it on 02 and i have followed these but cant even get past the first few steps.

I am using a Vista Laptop (which could be the problem, as many people say they were successful when using XP).

Anyway the part where i get stuck is where it first asks you to download the programmes and then to install it later. However when i click the download button - it asks me to open/save and there is no install button.

When i click on the save button it does download it, but then how do i install it. The programme i have downloaded is saved to my computer but it wont even open.

Does anyone know what i may be doing wrong or if there is another guide which they used, which is simpler. Otherwise it looks like paying £15 at the local phone shop to get it debranded, which is something i dont want to pay for when it can be done for free.

Edit: The guide i am following is: ariyako.org/200…af/

46 Comments

I did my N97 last week. Tricky, but I did it. I'll help out where I can.
    You are aware that debranding is different to unlocking, and as such if there is a SIM lock to T-Mobile then your o2 won't work.

Original Poster

Thanks any help would be great.

Yes i am aware of the difference. I paid £15 to get it unlocked yesterday, but now it has all the awful t-mobile applications which i just want to get rid of and get it back to the original nokia settings

OMG!
    This has happened to me.
    I bought a "3" c905 but im on O2.
    I cant get on the internet (even tho i have unlimited web bolt on) as i guess all the links are going through the 3 website.
    Do i need to debrand my phone and if so how?
    There's also another shortcut where i can edit some of the internet links but i dont know what to type as the new www address?
    I presume there's a different address to type to see the football news (for example). on skysports website via a phone??

Original Poster

Thats the same problem as me. I cant use the internet because it has to go through the T-mobile website.

I think an option for you could also be to debrand your phone. But TBH i should be the last person you listen to as i know little to nothing about technology.

Hopefully some more in the know people will be along to help.

Edit: im gonna log off for a bit in case any one doe post advice, but will be back on soon.

i just had a quick look at the link... you are downloading a .rar file... (this is a compressed file format...like.zip) have you successfully extracted the .rar file (just like you have to unzip .zip files) use winrar or 7zip or equivalent to extract .rar files...link coming

7zip.com/

download and install the executable (.exe) if you can't extract the .rar archive file.

avforums.com/for…tml

That may help, or I can walk you through it when I get home tonight. Only software you'll need though is NSS and PC Suite.

Original Poster

Xiwt;6058906

i just had a quick look at the link... you are downloading a .rar file... … i just had a quick look at the link... you are downloading a .rar file... (this is a compressed file format...like.zip) have you successfully extracted the .rar file (just like you have to unzip .zip files) use winrar or 7zip or equivalent to extract .rar files...link cominghttp://www.7zip.com/download and install the executable (.exe) if you can't extract the .rar archive file.

Okay that has gone way over my head.

kyalion;6058933

http://www.avforums.com/forums/nokia-mobile-phone-discussions/1044645-debranding-n97-voda-software-generic.htmlThat may help, or I can walk you through it when I get home tonight. Only software you'll need though is NSS and PC Suite.

That would be great - Okay i am going to download those now (NNS and PC suite).

ok ... are you having problems opening 'JAF.1.98.62.rar' ?

if so go to [url]www.7zip.com[/url]

click the download button... install 7zip... use 7zip program to open 'JAF.1.98.62.rar'.

magough;6058531

OMG!This has happened to me.I bought a "3" c905 but im on O2.I cant get … OMG!This has happened to me.I bought a "3" c905 but im on O2.I cant get on the internet (even tho i have unlimited web bolt on) as i guess all the links are going through the 3 website.Do i need to debrand my phone and if so how?There's also another shortcut where i can edit some of the internet links but i dont know what to type as the new www address?I presume there's a different address to type to see the football news (for example). on skysports website via a phone??

get the o2 internet and mms settings for your handset. Usually o2 send these to the handset automatically if they are not the default settings. switch off the phone take out the sim and re-insert the o2 sim card...wait a few minutes (no more than 15 I'd say and you should get a series of texts and over the air settings messages) or ring 202 from your o2 phone (free) and ask them to send the internet and mms settings for your handset.

Original Poster

Xiwt;6059264

ok ... are you having problems opening 'JAF.1.98.62.rar' ?if so go to … ok ... are you having problems opening 'JAF.1.98.62.rar' ?if so go to [url]www.7zip.com[/url]click the download button... install 7zip... use 7zip program to open 'JAF.1.98.62.rar'.

will try that now. Thanks so much for the help.

Also as i need PC suite, to do it, does it matter if i have the OVI version?

s_paul;6059474

will try that now. Thanks so much for the help.Also as i need PC suite, … will try that now. Thanks so much for the help.Also as i need PC suite, to do it, does it matter if i have the OVI version?

i'm not sure if you even need nokia pc suite on your computer... it just says put it (it being your nokia handset) into pc suite mode ...this comes up everytime i plug a new nokia via usb into a computer (usb data mode or pc suite mode)...

In fact this is what it says:

First what we need itJAFFresh clean computer without nokia pc suite … First what we need itJAFFresh clean computer without nokia pc suite software installedtempory disabled your anti virus for this prosessproduct code you want to changefinally patient!Download JAF using this links

so don't install nokia pc suite!

Original Poster

it has just taken ages to download. Okay im gonna get rid and unistall and try to do it myself, hopefully the link to that download thing you gave me will help.

Don't need to use JAF for it.

Nokia PC Suite IMHO is a complete waste of time and space and system resources... to cut a long story short I'm not a fan anyway... so if you can get round it without having to install it your computer will thank you for it.

Just to check s_paul you've planned the stages out... do you know what new product codes to type in when you get the JAF program running?

also in vista do EVERYTHING as adminstrator... when you install and open the JAF program (right click the icon and click 'run as adminstrator')

full list of nokia 5800 product codes ]here

Original Poster

yes i have all the steps in front of me and i have the product code from when i treid to do it yesterday.

When i tried yesterday i did not get the run as administrator, but since i have downloaded the link you gave i can do that now.

ok ...to run ANYTHING in vista as administrator ALWAYS right click (instead of double clicking) and look at the options and click run as adminstrator

s_paul;6059848

yes i have all the steps in front of me and i have the product code from … yes i have all the steps in front of me and i have the product code from when i treid to do it yesterday..

Good job

Original Poster

Okay i was pleased with myself as i went through all the steps and got to then end with no problem. But my phone is still the same. It still has the T-mobile main screen and all the t-mobile icons (e.g Web n Walk).

I turned the phone off and back on again and its still the same. Where have i gone wrong?

have you installed the new firmware through the nokia site...or just changed the product code?

change the firmware using nokia software updater

Original Poster

just changed the product code.
    Does that mean i have to do that again also.

Sorry about this, i have probably taken up most of your time with this thread today and you have been very patient :thumbsup:, so thanks

s_paul;6060213

just changed the product code.Does that mean i have to do that again … just changed the product code.Does that mean i have to do that again also.Sorry about this, i have probably taken up most of your time with this thread today and you have been very patient

no don't worry i'm on computer have to write a few letters...plus i like this stuff ... i am sad geek.

if you changed the product code that is fine.... nokia software update (in the link I posted) will now be able to recognise your new product code (i.e. not as a TMOBILE 5800) and hence it will install unbranded firmware according to the new product code you successfully entered.

Xiwt;6060249

if you changed the product code that is fine.... nokia software update … if you changed the product code that is fine.... nokia software update (in the link I posted) will now be able to recognise your new product code (i.e. not as a TMOBILE 5800) and hence it will install unbranded firmware according to the new product code you successfully entered.

Even if it says the SW is upto date you must still re-install it as this is the final part of the process.

Original Poster

okay i have eneterd the infor for the nokia update (followed instuctions off nokia link you gave), still no visible change

kyalion;6060359

Even if it says the SW is upto date you must still re-install it as this … Even if it says the SW is upto date you must still re-install it as this is the final part of the process.

What is SW? Ans what else do i need to do?

sw = software = firmware in this case

so you plugged in your nokia and installed OR re-installed the latest firmware after downloading and running nokia software updater for nokia 5800?

Original Poster

on the website it just said i needed to type in a number *#0000# and change the settings. I did not do it by connecting the phone to the computer.

I think i attempted to do somthing which was way out of my boundaries.

are you sure when you changed your product code... you entered a generic product code ... i.e. one not affiliated to TMOBILE? ... please state the 5800 product code you entered...

s_paul;6060480

on the website it just said i needed to type in a number *#0000# and … on the website it just said i needed to type in a number *#0000# and change the settings. I did not do it by connecting the phone to the computer.I think i attempted to do somthing which was way out of my boundaries.

no this is nonsense about attempting to do something beyond your boundaries... it will work... if you've changed the product code that is harder...

yes it says that but scroll down...you need to download this:

nds1.nokia.com/fil…exe

download and install and run that (all as administrator as before)

got dinner now...yum! will check back later.

Xiwt;6060637

got dinner now...yum! will check back later.

I can assist from home whilst you're eating.

Original Poster

thanks guys.

i would not have had a clue what to do without you guys. Enjoy ur dinner Twix.

BTW the code i used was 0552438

i will now download the nokia support thing. Hopefully i will be successful befor the footie starts
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …115258
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714096
      3. No preseason sky sports offers1218
      4. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October717

See more discussions