Groups

HELP FROM NEW PARENTS NEEDED!!!

Hi, I am expecting a new addition to the family, but the mother doesnt quite know what grants/benefits she will be entitled to. She is 16 (very young but hey) and living at home with the parents. She and the father are full time employed and dont claim any other benefits, so the grants that require you to be on the dole etc are of no use.

Would like advise from people who have been in this situation recently on what grants/benefits/bursaries are available. Im sure you can accept there is 101 other things that need sorting out so this heads up would be great.

Rep added for all you lovely helpful people!!!!!!!

(I have already looked into the Health in Pregnancy Grant...thanks to chocolate_lover)

25 Comments

she may be able to claim for a grant (£500) to help her buy things for the baby but she wont be able to claim till after she has had the baby presuming she will be able to get tax credits

I don't know if this would be any help but might be worth a look.
    hmrc.gov.uk/ind…tml

Banned

16 lol, she loves it ...kids having kids

edjaned;3765263

she may be able to claim for a grant (£500) to help her buy things for … she may be able to claim for a grant (£500) to help her buy things for the baby but she wont be able to claim till after she has had the baby presuming she will be able to get tax credits

They wont get it as they're working

They will be entitled to Child Benefit and Working Tax credits, it's well worth applying for housing benefit though as the chances are they'll get a little bit of help from them and or council tax benefit

HELP FROM NEW MOTHERS NEEDED!!!

^^^Very sexist title.

I used to work at a Teenage parents supported housing project, and I am a male.

thesaint;3765318

^^^Very sexist title.I used to work at a Teenage parents supported … ^^^Very sexist title.I used to work at a Teenage parents supported housing project, and I am a male.

Anyone care? no? thought so

Original Poster

DangerGod;3765303

16 lol, she loves it ...kids having kids

Yup she really does love it, if you mean being sensible and preparing for the pregnancy...IMO she is very mature and approaching this as any new mum would....keep your opinions to yourself as they serve no purpose.

Original Poster

thesaint;3765318

^^^Very sexist title.I used to work at a Teenage parents supported … ^^^Very sexist title.I used to work at a Teenage parents supported housing project, and I am a male.

Changed :roll:

Original Poster

RedIron;3765314

They wont get it as they're workingThey will be entitled to Child Benefit … They wont get it as they're workingThey will be entitled to Child Benefit and Working Tax credits, it's well worth applying for housing benefit though as the chances are they'll get a little bit of help from them and or council tax benefit

will she be able to get anything for housing benefit though...she is living with the parents not on her own

rep has been added to all the helpful posts

lil_tiger;3765336

Yup she really does love it, if you mean being sensible and preparing for … Yup she really does love it, if you mean being sensible and preparing for the pregnancy...IMO she is very mature and approaching this as any new mum would....keep your opinions to yourself as they serve no purpose.

From your post it would seem that at least she has support around her....it may not be an ideal situation but it's happened. Good luck to her and her family. I hope it all works out.

RedIron;3765314

They wont get it as they're workingThey will be entitled to Child Benefit … They wont get it as they're workingThey will be entitled to Child Benefit and Working Tax credits, it's well worth applying for housing benefit though as the chances are they'll get a little bit of help from them and or council tax benefit

lol ! if you get working tax credits your entitled to it !

Banned

lil_tiger;3765336

Yup she really does love it, if you mean being sensible and preparing for … Yup she really does love it, if you mean being sensible and preparing for the pregnancy...IMO she is very mature and approaching this as any new mum would....keep your opinions to yourself as they serve no purpose.

lol she lurves the meat... but its ok, aslong as she isnt aborting i salute her

lil_tiger;3765350

will she be able to get anything for housing benefit though...she is … will she be able to get anything for housing benefit though...she is living with the parents not on her ownrep has been added to all the helpful posts

No then but the local council will help them get their own accommodation and they'll be a higher priority

geedub;3765400

lol ! if you get working tax credits your entitled to it !

Wrong, only if you get a disability element

Tell her to speak to her mid wife regarding the £500 grant. My Mrs is working and she can get the grant. I think you can apply at 6 months but I'm not sure. Theres a form you get from your midwife to send off but I cant remember what its called. She gets hers next week.
    The grant is to help pay for equipment such as pushchairs and the like. Regarding housing, I'm pretty sure there will be no help available for her while she is still living with her parents.

Original Poster

I THINK i have found out she might get....

healthy start pregnancy vouchers, because she is under 18 and pregnant
    Health in Pregnancy Grant, thanks to chocolate_lover
    Income Support...once the baby has come along, for being 16+, working low hours, and having low income
    .....resulting in perhaps being elligable for the Sure Start Maternity Grant....i hope

this is so confusing...and the comments from DangerGod are really not needed

Original Poster

donnydude;3765485

Tell her to speak to her mid wife regarding the £500 grant. My Mrs is … Tell her to speak to her mid wife regarding the £500 grant. My Mrs is working and she can get the grant. I think you can apply at 6 months but I'm not sure. Theres a form you get from your midwife to send off but I cant remember what its called. She gets hers next week. The grant is to help pay for equipment such as pushchairs and the like. Regarding housing, I'm pretty sure there will be no help available for her while she is still living with her parents.

thanks...the £500 thing is the sure start maternity grant...i think she is elligable as i think she will be entitled to income support once the baby comes along, if she doesnt get the income support then i cant see her been entitled to it as you need to be getting some kinda benefit from what i can make from the site...rep added

dean3988;3765335

Anyone care? no? thought so

I'd like to add if he really worked there you would have thought he'd be able to offer some advice rather than being **** about the syntax of the OP!

lil_tiger;3765509

thanks...the £500 thing is the sure start maternity grant...i think she … thanks...the £500 thing is the sure start maternity grant...i think she is elligable as i think she will be entitled to income support once the baby comes along, if she doesnt get the income support then i cant see her been entitled to it as you need to be getting some kinda benefit from what i can make from the site...rep added

Also its not much but tell her to ask her midwife about Bounty packs. I'm sure its nationwide. Anyway she'll get a pack with stuff about her pregnancy along with some vouchers. If you take the vouchers to the customer service desk in ASDA you can get a free Huggies newborn starter box. From memory it contains newborn nappies, a wipes case and wipes and some more money off vouchers. Alright for nothing anyway.

her best bet is to go to the council social services section and ask for advice - they will let her know exactly what she is/isn't entitled to - whilst living at home with the parents she wont get any sort of rent assistance because as far as the council are concerned the parents wont chuck them out if they can't afford to pay some rent. She may be entitled to income support (i think thats the name of it) because if she is working now she wont be once she gets further into the pregnancy and of course once the baby is born she will have to stop if she hadnt already done so by then and will need additional money to pay for essential items for the baby. Another good source of information is to contact the local C.A.B. they will be able to give her lots of information and tell her all the things she should be putting in a claim for - best to ask for assistance with everything because they will turn her down for most but if she doesn't ask she wont get. As to the comments about being 16 and pregnant well yes I am sure most people feel that way including her own mother but it's happened and thankfully it's not one of our kids so there is no need to be making nasty comments about it. I am sure we will all need support of one sort or another one day and wouldnt appreciate unhelpful comments if it was our thread

The problem here is that the new parents-to-be are both currently working, level headed & responsible. In this instance, this country won't support & look after them as well as it should, just like working parents of any other age.
    With that in mind anyway, its worth looking here:
    direct.gov.uk/en/…htm

And don't forget the child trust fund thingy- £250 to start off a savings fund-worth having!!

Congratulations & good luck - exciting times ahead!

And take no notice about comments about mum-to-be's age. There are older 'parents' around these days whose parenting skills are questionable!!

RedIron;3765459

No then but the local council will help them get their own accommodation … No then but the local council will help them get their own accommodation and they'll be a higher priorityWrong, only if you get a disability element

i aint wrong , i know people that have gotten it , ie mums at home and dads out working ! unless our laws are different to yours !

but i suppose at the end of the day you only get out of them forms what you put into them lol

RedIron;3765314

It actually depends on what her and her partners combined income are, she can claim from 29 weeks pregnant, She might also be able to get maternity allowance if she hasn't been with the employer long enough for them to give her statutory maternity pay.

Do they live together because if they don't she can claim as a single parent, Someone said you have to live together to claim as a couple:thumbsup:

Hi

re sure start maternity grant

She can be working and also receive this. It can be applied for from 11 weeks before baby is due to up until baby is 3 months.

If it helps at she can claim get her partner to claim on her behalf ( joint claim) for tax credits, working tax credits and / or income support

I hope you manage to get the info you need. If not try asking your local job centre or citizens advice

Good luck to her and all the best, wishing her a healthy and happy pregnancy

Dont forget she can get free prescriptions from now until the baby is 1 - same for dental treatment

Hiya

I'll find a link in a min but there is a website that should give her an idea of what she is entitled to.

She should consider applying for the surestart £500 maternity grant, as depending on her income (and how long she's been working could effect her maternity pay entitlement) she should be eligible.

She may (again depending on hours worked and income) be entitled to income support

Child benefit is definate, as will be child tax credit. The child tax credit amount will depend on her income levels.the minimum i believe for a baby under 1 is £40 a month but that drops to £10 a month when the baby reaches 1. However it could be as high as £90 a week.

Working tax credit, this is available to anyone with a lower than average income, and she should be also applyng for this.

Housing benefit nd council tax benefit, may not be eligable as she is living with her parents but if she contacts her local job centre and speaks to a lone parent advisor (at 16 and living with her parents she is by definition a lone parent even if she and the dad are still boyf/girlf) to get the right advice.

She should also consider contacting homestart for extra support in the early days, and contact her health visitor early to see if there are any young mum and baby groups in her area so she doesnt feel so isolated.

When the baby is born she can get healthy start vouchers, these replaced the old fashioned milk tokens some time ago. They are vouchers that can be used to purchase things like fresh fruit and vegetables, milk etc from your local shops. They may be available for pregnancy too but you would need to check on that.

try here for an easy to use calculator to see what she should be applying for.

entitledto.co.uk/
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions