Groups

Help! Fruit flies have taken over our house!

Last week we went away for a few days and returned to a house with a few unwelcome guests; fruit flies.

We've tired keeping all tops clean and putting waste in sealed bins but in this household of 5 there is often something that's left out.

There seems to be less of them now but they're not completely gone.
    I see them flying about and it really annoys me!

Has anyone dealt with fruit flies before? What methods have you used? I'm thinking homemade traps etc.
    Lots of help on google (possibly too much), so I'd like some personal opinions on the best methods of getting rid of these blighters!

11 Comments

A quarter of a inch vinegar in the bottom of a bottle with a narrow neck usually attracts them

I've been invaded over the last few weeks too, have to kill about 15 a day otherwise they wake me up at 6am by buzzing on my face

Original Poster

jeany123;6160534

A quarter of a inch vinegar in the bottom of a bottle with a narrow neck … A quarter of a inch vinegar in the bottom of a bottle with a narrow neck usually attracts them

Thanks I will try that, repped :thumbsup:

DarkKnight;6160535

I've been invaded over the last few weeks too, have to kill about 15 a … I've been invaded over the last few weeks too, have to kill about 15 a day otherwise they wake me up at 6am by buzzing on my face

Oh dear that sounds terrible! There's none in my room so unfortunately I don't have to suffer that!

blowtorch:thumbsup:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/Blowtorch_album/Blowtorch.gif

Original Poster

jeany123;6160717

Don't know if you read this but it's worth trying as … Don't know if you read this but it's worth trying as wellhttp://becomingdomestic.co.uk/2007/08/21/how-to-get-rid-of-fruit-flies-using-a-basic-trap/

I did the same basically but instead of using a paper cone I cut the top of the bottle off and inverted it into the body of the bottle, creating a funnel. And then I put some vinegar + wine in as bait.

Magic_monkey;6160817

I did the same basically but instead of using a paper cone I cut the top … I did the same basically but instead of using a paper cone I cut the top of the bottle off and inverted it into the body of the bottle, creating a funnel. And then I put some vinegar + wine in as bait.

Hope it works

Original Poster

The traps aren't fairing too badly at the moment, we've caught a few.
    I'm going to see how they do overnight when there are less appealing 'meals' around.

Magic_monkey;6162186

The traps aren't fairing too badly at the moment, we've caught a few. I'm … The traps aren't fairing too badly at the moment, we've caught a few. I'm going to see how they do overnight when there are less appealing 'meals' around.

Good tell me how it goes tomorrow
    oh and wash any fruit as they lay eggs on it

Hand Grenade ??
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3571354
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…1973
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread417514148
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764603

See more discussions