Help fundraising ideas for 16 year old

Found 20th Oct 2011
Hi everyone i am hoping some of you might be able to help me....
My Son has just been offered the opportunity to go to UGANDA for 4 weeks in the Summer next year with his sixth form.
However each child (24 in total ) have to raise £2000.00 each for the costs.
Teaching staff and the students also fundraise to purchase the equipment needed for when they arrive there. Approx £15,000.
Fundraising ideas please ?? We have already contacted local supermarkets to ask about bag packs but they have said NOT THIS YEAR !!! Maybe something sponsored but My Son would like it to be relevant to the cause..... Young children some with AIDS, building work, school visits etc
Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
Car washing, bag packing at supermarkets, general child labour types of things.
Make sure that it's clear what the cause is for and this can be proven.
Why doesn't he get a job? Nearly a year should be enough time to raise that money.
Off the top of my head, a few things spring to mind. If your son is doing a sponsored event, he should only do one and make the most from that, otherwise, he risks losing potential money from charitable fatigue.

Write to banks, The Prince's Trust, local and national businesses to see what they can give. It's also worth publicising the Uganda plan and any fundraising activities in local newspapers to generate interest that can be transformed into donations or sponsorship money.
Original Poster

He does have a job ! but unfortunately it pays the minimum wage £3.68 per hour.... He is also taking 4 A levels so time is restricted. The Students are encouraged to raise the money through sponsorship and fundraising.

chester123

Why doesn't he get a job? Nearly a year should be enough time to raise … Why doesn't he get a job? Nearly a year should be enough time to raise that money.

Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas i will look into the Princes trust Great idea

windhoek

Off the top of my head, a few things spring to mind. If your son is doing … Off the top of my head, a few things spring to mind. If your son is doing a sponsored event, he should only do one and make the most from that, otherwise, he risks losing potential money from charitable fatigue. Write to banks, The Prince's Trust, local and national businesses to see what they can give. It's also worth publicising the Uganda plan and any fundraising activities in local newspapers to generate interest that can be transformed into donations or sponsorship money.

mathsnut76

Thanks for the ideas i will look into the Princes trust Great idea

I had to fund raise to do Raleigh International a few years ago and got £150 off The Prince's Trust. I also got £100 from 2 or 3 banks. It's certainly worth asking because your son can only get a yes or no.
Holding regular cake stalls at school can be quite good/lucrative (perhaps with a bit of help from baking relatives)
Original Poster
had another idea, those charity wristbands that you can have the logo printed on ??
Anyone no of a reputable website that sells them to order ?
Would need maybe 600
Banned
Can he not sell a kidney?
Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I'd rather donate to someone who was going to be passing it onto charitable organisations in Uganda directly, rather than spending it on a flight and accommodation. Am I missing something?
I've a friend who had to do something like this a few years ago, so he booked a venue for an evening and set up a charity event. He had comedians, horse race betting, a raffle, various things, all in the aid of increasing revenue and making the event more appealing. He charged a few quid for entry, and since I don't remember it too well, I think he might've been selling alcohol there, too. Whatevers though, he pulled in a tonne of money from the night, and it was a good night, which lead to a couple more similar events afterwards.

With Facebook on your side, promotion is no problem. Just get things in motion, and it should play out beautifully.
oldmanhouse

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I'd rather donate to someone who was going to … Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I'd rather donate to someone who was going to be passing it onto charitable organisations in Uganda directly, rather than spending it on a flight and accommodation. Am I missing something?

The young man will gain invaluable experience as well as making a positive contribution to the locale he goes to.
How about looking at a idea that benefits the donor too, they are more likely to give, ie there was a thing going round where everyone did a diet club and bet on themselves, you all put £50 in and you had a set number of weeks to reach a target weight. If you do not achieve it you lose the bet and the charity gets it.
It would need regulating, like a weekly weigh in, but it's not a lot of effort for potentially a gain.

It doesn't have to be exactally that, but something round the idea of an incentive for both parties
Original Poster

oh that sounds like a good idea to give something back.
Thanks

skellysgirl

How about looking at a idea that benefits the donor too, they are more … How about looking at a idea that benefits the donor too, they are more likely to give, ie there was a thing going round where everyone did a diet club and bet on themselves, you all put £50 in and you had a set number of weeks to reach a target weight. If you do not achieve it you lose the bet and the charity gets it.It would need regulating, like a weekly weigh in, but it's not a lot of effort for potentially a gain.It doesn't have to be exactally that, but something round the idea of an incentive for both parties

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants