Groups

Help! grandparent presents

Anybody help me out struggling with an idea of what to get my grandparents for Christmas, they are both in a residential care home and they are both 82 years old, any suggestions would be great

23 Comments

A day out if it's physically possible with their health.

Even if it can't be on Christmas day, have a picture framed of where you'll take them (even if it's somewhere not considered glamorous, or far) and then later replace it with a picture of them, you there.

Material things begin to mean less, and memories more.

Original Poster

Gynx

A day out if it's physically possible with their health. Even if it can't … A day out if it's physically possible with their health. Even if it can't be on Christmas day, have a picture framed of where you'll take them (even if it's somewhere not considered glamorous, or far) and then later replace it with a picture of them, you there. Material things begin to mean less, and memories more.

Sounds like a great idea but unfortunately a day out is not always ideal due to health issues with both of them the idea of a frame is great too but one grandparent is blind and wouldn't be able to see it

The'd probably appreciate a visit from family on Christmas Day more than anything.

A calendar with pics of the grandchildren

Original Poster

SidSnot

The'd probably appreciate a visit from family on Christmas Day more than … The'd probably appreciate a visit from family on Christmas Day more than anything.

All of the family are already planning on visiting them on Christmas Day just wanted to get them a nice present, something different from the usual jumper or clothes, but racking my brain trying to think of a suitable gift

Original Poster

pookey1

A calendar with pics of the grandchildren

Calendar would be lovely too but one grandparent is blind and unfortunately wouldn't be able to see it

Audio books ?

Original Poster

rogparki

A nice bird feeder to place outside their window such as … A nice bird feeder to place outside their window such as http://www.longacres.co.uk/wildlife-pets/wild-bird/wild-bird-feeders/gardman-complete-wild-bird-feeding-station-with-4-free-feeders-a01343/?gclid=CIKjn6ep-NACFcS77QodFtoGOA

This is a good idea as my grandfather had all these sort of things in his garden when he was at home, but wouldn't be any good for the grandmother and would also need to ask care home permission if he could have it in the garden, although don't think it would be a problem

I agree with sidsnot. The best presents for grandparents are not material things.Spend time with them and talk to them about your life and ambitions. It helps to stop us worrying about you all!!

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Audio books ?

Another great idea but my grandmother has a audio book player and she gets all the books sent to her like a library when she's done with them she returns them and they send her new ones it's so hard at their age they've had everything I can think of

jigsaw puzzle

We are getting my 94 year old Grandfather a cheese board selection with some crackers and other little bits and pieces... he will have it for tea for a few days and absolutely loves it. He said it's nice to have different things now and then. I know it sounds like a crap gift that you can buy in a supermarket but he enjoys it and that's whats important.

kirstycowen86

This is a good idea as my grandfather had all these sort of things in his … This is a good idea as my grandfather had all these sort of things in his garden when he was at home, but wouldn't be any good for the grandmother and would also need to ask care home permission if he could have it in the garden, although don't think it would be a problem

Just picked that one at random as an example - Argos/ B&Q etc do them too . Don't forget the bird food they don't come with any . My Gran insists the same birds (her birds) come back every day . To me a Robin is a Robin and there must be hundreds of them in the area
    Edited by: "rogparki" 16th Dec 2016

Original Poster

louise_barwell

jigsaw puzzle

My grandfather has never been a fan of jigsaws my gran on the other hand would love one but she is blind now so wouldn't be able to see to do it

Original Poster

chrisbluebird

We are getting my 94 year old Grandfather a cheese board selection with … We are getting my 94 year old Grandfather a cheese board selection with some crackers and other little bits and pieces... he will have it for tea for a few days and absolutely loves it. He said it's nice to have different things now and then. I know it sounds like a crap gift that you can buy in a supermarket but he enjoys it and that's whats important.

Wow 94 great age, I'm not surprised he likes to get something different, totally agree though it's not the price of the gift it's the thought that it's something they will like and also appreciate, I'm just struggling to think of something suitable that would be good for them,

food if poss, a plant/flower, something that requires little work, like an orchid

how about something you can record your own message on. my boys have got a record your own message biscuit tin with shortbread in for a blind great grandfather, admitted, they have told him to leave their biscuits alone... but thats just the jokey relationship they have. most of all have a lovely christmas together x
    Edited by: "BudgetAngel" 16th Dec 2016

BudgetAngel

how about something you can record your own message on. my boys have got … how about something you can record your own message on. my boys have got a record your own message biscuit tin with shortbread in for a blind great grandfather, admitted, they have told him to leave their biscuits alone... but thats just the jokey relationship they have. most of all have a lovely christmas together x

Agree. We bought my grandparents who live abroad a biscuit tin from M&S (£5) last week and recorded the children wishing them a merry Christmas before sending.

Would your grandmother like someone to come in and give her a hand massage and or her hair washed and set for Xmas.

Banned

Condoms as a joke gift!

How about some nice food bits that they can enjoy, and then most care homes have people go in to do hair cuts etc, could you top up the account that pays for that so you can say you've paid for their next one. Maybe a fragranced houseplant so they could both enjoy it, or blankets/shawls .

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 16th Dec 2016

I got a 92 year old friend a decent bottle of brandy and some nice quality dark chocolate. It was appreciated. She had to buy her own cigarettes, though as I would not encourage her (but I did get her an easy to operate electronic lighter for her birthday - double standards or what?). You are bound to know what treats your grandparents like. If not, why not go and ask? It's a nice excuse to go and visit.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Chessington world of adventure11
      2. Bet365 Free In Play Bet £25 Chelsea Vs Tottenham24
      3. French polisher out to smooth the floor11
      4. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz67

See more discussions