Help: Heat reflecting foil stuff to go behind a radiator?

Found 4th Dec 2012
I'm thinking of getting some of the silver reflective stuff that you put behind the radiator to minimise heat loss, and also to stick to the back of furniture that has nowhere else to go except in front of the radiator, as it absorbs the heat.

Anybody got this stuff? Any good? Any recommendations? Would it be possible to make my own version out of bubble/foam wrap and tin-foil?!

Thanks for any advice!
Community Updates
19 Comments
Just use the tin foil method. Works just as well.
Get the wife to sit behind it holding up a large mirror.

/thread.
We used Bacofoil Turkey tin foil because it's thicker and it does the job quite nicely. We put it behind pur radiators and it really makes a difference.
transit

Get the wife to sit behind it holding up a large mirror./thread.

Unfortunately, I am the wife.

MisterNecro

Just use the tin foil method. Works just as well.

momartin

We used Bacofoil Turkey tin foil because it's thicker and it does the job … We used Bacofoil Turkey tin foil because it's thicker and it does the job quite nicely. We put it behind pur radiators and it really makes a difference.

Great, thanks! Did you guys stick it onto any sort of backing first for insulation, or is it literally just the bacofoil that reflects the heat? Noticed online that the ones being sold look a bit like laminate flooring underlay, or the stuff they wrap tellies in... wasn't sure if that's just for effect or if it serves a purpose!
panddda

Unfortunately, I am the wife.

oO

Well get off the computer!
transit

oO Well get off the computer!

I will, when the husband has provided me with dinner and sorted out the kids stuff for tomorrow.
transit

oO Well get off the computer!

She's on her mobile obviously, people don't tend to put computers in the kitchen.
Stuck it to the wall behind the radiator with a blob of blu-tack. Does the job just fine!
Years ago, I stuck foil on to large pieces of cardboard and made little cardboard spacers/wedges to keep it against the wall.
Though more recently (after decorating) I used the radiator foil from lidl

direct link to lidl
Edited by: "buddhabelly" 4th Dec 2012
theworkingdead

She's on her mobile obviously, people don't tend to put computers in the … She's on her mobile obviously, people don't tend to put computers in the kitchen.

Where the bloody hell did she a a Mobile from??? Obviously having an affair
theworkingdead

She's on her mobile obviously, people don't tend to put computers in the … She's on her mobile obviously, people don't tend to put computers in the kitchen.

Nope - got a wall mounted all-in-one above the breakfast bar just for that very purpose
Will go out tomorrow to buy some Bacofoil I think - just checked and the cruddy foil we have is very thin and on a very narrow roll.
Thanks for the help (and of course the obligatory sexist insults - always welcomed :D)
We have it. Got them free of our energy company.
Ring up an ask if not yes go for the bacofoil
emmalampkin

We have it. Got them free of our energy company.Ring up an ask if not yes … We have it. Got them free of our energy company.Ring up an ask if not yes go for the bacofoil

Never thought of that - any idea which company that was? Think we're with N-Power at the moment (will be until the cashback finally pays and we can switch again!)
This stuff is much better than using foil, a little more expensive but much mroe effective. It can cut to size and glued to the wall.

toolstation.com/sho…805
panddda

Never thought of that - any idea which company that was? Think we're with … Never thought of that - any idea which company that was? Think we're with N-Power at the moment (will be until the cashback finally pays and we can switch again!)

British gas.
avfcniall

This stuff is much better than using foil, a little more expensive but … This stuff is much better than using foil, a little more expensive but much mroe effective. It can cut to size and glued to the wall.http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Construction+Materials/Insulation/Radiator+Foil+40+x+047+Mtr/d210/sd2738/p26805

That's what I was wondering - any idea what it is about that sort of stuff that makes it better than foil? I think we've got one of those silver reflective screens that you're supposed to put in the windscreen of a car to keep the heat out - I suppose that would do the same job if I nailed it to the back of the sideboard?
We're saving a fortune this year by not having the heating on at all this winter.

Thanks to our heat retaining gear from Asda we prance around the house keeping lovely and warm

direct.asda.com/on/…0C9

Mark2111

We're saving a fortune this year by not having the heating on at all this … We're saving a fortune this year by not having the heating on at all this winter.Thanks to our heat retaining gear from Asda we prance around the house keeping lovely and warmhttp://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=heat+retaining&cgid=10&ccgid=D1M1G20C9

Hmm... nice idea, but not totally convinced

We've just had a new boiler fitted, and the difference is astounding. I suppose that's since they cleaned all the gunk out of the pipes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants