Groups

Help, how much does my bird weigh!

Now i've gone and done it.

I am cooking christmas dinner for the 1st time in my life, and I was just about to shove my chicken/ Capon in the oven.

Easy? You'd think, but I forgot to ask the butcher how much it weighs. I know that it should be in for about 20-25 mins per pound, but I have no idea how many pounds my bird weighs.

Is there any rudimentary way that will get me out of this pickle?

Why oh why didn't I get a hottie in time for christmas, she would know things like this.

9 Comments

just cook untill the juices run clear when you stick a knive in, so gas mark 5 and keep checking

Send it round and I will let you know

A gallon of water weighs 10LB, sit the bird on one end of a see-saw and a water jug on the other and keep adding water till the bird flys away, estimate weight on how many pints that took.

Or take it next door and use their scale:whistling:

Original Poster

firebladeaid1958;1381093

just cook untill the juices run clear when you stick a knive in, so gas … just cook untill the juices run clear when you stick a knive in, so gas mark 5 and keep checking

I have an electric oven.

MikeT;1381098

Send it round and I will let you know ;)A gallon of water weighs 10LB, … Send it round and I will let you know ;)A gallon of water weighs 10LB, sit the bird on one end of a see-saw and a water jug on the other and keep adding water till the bird flys away, estimate weight on how many pints that took.Or take it next door and use their scale:whistling:

Thanks, I will try this, I should know this as I studied engineering for 3 years, I sort of panicked and couldn't think straight. I know a litre of water weighs a kilo, so should be able to work it out.

I wonder if my son will mind me using one of his toys as a fulcrum?

Merry christmas :santa:

MInes weighs about 8 and a half stone, she'll probably end up being nearer the ten mark after today.

Turn it upside down for the first 60 or whatever minutes and then turn it the right way up for the last 30 odd minutes to brown off (if needed).
    You will find you get much juicier breasts and not those dried up things you usually get on large old birds.

Story of my life!

Havent you got a set of scales then convert it into pounds?

leefal;1381123

MInes weighs about 8 and a half stone, she'll probably end up being … MInes weighs about 8 and a half stone, she'll probably end up being nearer the ten mark after today.

My xmas pudding just shot out my mouth after reading that. Classic (but oh so true...!).

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, it turned out perfect. :thumbsup:

Christmas dinner at mine next year for whomever is at a loose end. :santa:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions