HELP! How to treat green moss & algae growing on the garden fence?

Posted 4th Apr
Got this stuff growing on the fence and now my pavement in the garden is slowly fading to a green colour.

Anyone can share step by step process and what solution you would recommend to clear this up?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Have you got a pressure-washer (or access to one) ???
Phsycronix04/04/2020 18:50

Same answer , jet wash it remove the Algae let it dry out and repaint
Phsycronix04/04/2020 18:50

ashmac04/04/2020 18:59

Same answer , jet wash it remove the Algae let it dry out and repaint

Yes I have a pressure washer.
When painting what feature do I look for and how long would you expect the pain should last?
rimalpatel00704/04/2020 19:01

Yes I have a pressure washer. When painting what feature do I look for and …Yes I have a pressure washer. When painting what feature do I look for and how long would you expect the pain should last?

Pressure washers will remove it but won’t kill it all off and it can come back under over the newly painted fence, try something like jeyes fluid or a patio cleaner.
Edited by: "eslick" 4th Apr
I got some wet and forget from Amazon. Seems to do the trick.

how long would you expect the pain should last?

I hope there's no PAIN

I'm joking. I knew what you meant. If you want, you could mix up a solution of bleach and water - spray or brush it onto the fence as a killer. Leave it for a while, then pressure-wash it off. On the pavement/slabs you could slosh some solution down and leave it for a while but not long enough to dry. If you have an old brush or broom, give them a sweep while wet. Then, pressure-wash off. Make sure to protect your eyes from splashing when working with the solution.

If you have bedding plants etc. nearby, forego the "bleach" thing unless it's a very weak solution. For walkways/pavement/slabs you can buy cheap "patio" cleaner but I've never bothered personally.

As for paint - it's up to you really. You get what you pay for. Cheap fence paint might last a season or two. Decent stuff (like Ronseal Fence Life +) will last longer. Also, the more coats - the better.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 4th Apr
Sounds like it’s time for a new fence

Yes I have a pressure washer. When painting what feature do I look for and …Yes I have a pressure washer. When painting what feature do I look for and how long would you expect the pain should last?

Well if you have a lot panels and do it all by hand the pain could last a few days
Algon is pretty good, although power washing first is much better as dead moss looks just like live moss except its a different colour, killing it doesn't make it disappear.

Algon
spanner7904/04/2020 19:09

Sounds like it’s time for a new fence

You must like to waste money fences will get green just needs cleaning and normal maintenance.
Mark_Hickman04/04/2020 19:21

Well if you have a lot panels and do it all by hand the pain could last a …Well if you have a lot panels and do it all by hand the pain could last a few days

Not many 8 fences.

I was thinking taking the following steps;
1. Bleach and water in spray bottle and used a brush to scrub
2. Power wash the fence down
3. Once dry paint over

Feedback and thoughts appreciated
rimalpatel00704/04/2020 20:39

Not many 8 fences. I was thinking taking the following steps;1. Bleach and …Not many 8 fences. I was thinking taking the following steps;1. Bleach and water in spray bottle and used a brush to scrub2. Power wash the fence down3. Once dry paint overFeedback and thoughts appreciated

I'd power wash fence first to remove 90% then scrub off the last remaining bits and power wash again.
Work smart not hard
Treat it nicely, biodiversity is good.

You might want to keep it off the pavement in future if it makes it slippery but if it's not causing a problem on the fence I'd leave it be.
EndlessWaves04/04/2020 20:53

Treat it nicely, biodiversity is good. You might want to keep it off the …Treat it nicely, biodiversity is good. You might want to keep it off the pavement in future if it makes it slippery but if it's not causing a problem on the fence I'd leave it be.

Huh?

One sided of the garden is the issue and all fences sit on a concrete slab which is 1ft high.
The reason it is on one side is because that will be the shaded side. Moss and algae like damp shade. 50/50 bleach and water and a scrubbing brush will get rid of most of it, but if you've a damp shady area it's pretty much inevitable mode and algae will grow.
I did 2 1/2 panels last week & used patio magic.

1 part patio magic to 4 parts water. Wore gloves & sponged the solution onto the panels & a bit of rubbing & I’m impressed with the results.

Did contemplate pressure washing those panels but because of the results, I’m going to just paint those panels.

Good Luck
sustar04/04/2020 22:25

I did 2 1/2 panels last week & used patio magic.1 part patio magic to 4 …I did 2 1/2 panels last week & used patio magic.1 part patio magic to 4 parts water. Wore gloves & sponged the solution onto the panels & a bit of rubbing & I’m impressed with the results.Did contemplate pressure washing those panels but because of the results, I’m going to just paint those panels.Good Luck

Or Jeyes fluid. I guess it's the same thing. You just put it on, leave it and it all dies off within a few days. Great stuff. Maybe just a quick jet wash after a few days and good as new, No scrubbing needed!
Edited by: ".MUFC." 4th Apr
Phsycronix04/04/2020 19:08

I hope there's no PAIN I'm joking. I knew what you meant. If you …I hope there's no PAIN I'm joking. I knew what you meant. If you want, you could mix up a solution of bleach and water - spray or brush it onto the fence as a killer. Leave it for a while, then pressure-wash it off. On the pavement/slabs you could slosh some solution down and leave it for a while but not long enough to dry. If you have an old brush or broom, give them a sweep while wet. Then, pressure-wash off. Make sure to protect your eyes from splashing when working with the solution.If you have bedding plants etc. nearby, forego the "bleach" thing unless it's a very weak solution. For walkways/pavement/slabs you can buy cheap "patio" cleaner but I've never bothered personally.As for paint - it's up to you really. You get what you pay for. Cheap fence paint might last a season or two. Decent stuff (like Ronseal Fence Life +) will last longer. Also, the more coats - the better.

What kind of bleech would you recommend?
rimalpatel00705/04/2020 00:18

What kind of bleech would you recommend?

Awww, c'mon now rimalpatel007. Blimey! Bleach. Any bleach. Bleachy, bleachy bleach. It's not a super, duper mega chemical - specific to moss and algae that you have to source. Just an ordinary household cheapy mixed with some water. Like I said - don't be spraying/splashing it around without adequate protection though...

Sorry to sound a bit 'harsh' - had a rough night!

tesco.com/gro…394
40304673-5DwM7.jpg39p special - Algae loves lemon too. May as well give the fence a nice fragrance...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 5th Apr
Phsycronix05/04/2020 10:55

Awww, c'mon now rimalpatel007. Blimey! Bleach. Any bleach. Bleachy, …Awww, c'mon now rimalpatel007. Blimey! Bleach. Any bleach. Bleachy, bleachy bleach. It's not a super, duper mega chemical - specific to moss and algae that you have to source. Just an ordinary household cheapy mixed with some water. Like I said - don't be spraying/splashing it around without adequate protection though...Sorry to sound a bit 'harsh' - had a rough night! https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/257841394[Image] 39p special - Algae loves lemon too. May as well give the fence a nice fragrance...

Thanks life saver
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions