Expired

Help - How to unlock an O2 iphone 3gs when using a tesco sim

Found 23rd Jan 2012
Hi Folks

Just wondered if someone could help me, ive just bought an iphone 3gs off ebay and its locked to o2. I have gone and put my tesco contract sim in the phone and it dont work and comes up with the emergency only calls. I thought tesco and o2 where on the same network so didnt need to get the iphone unlocked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Louise xx
Community Updates
MiscAppleiPhoneO2Dual Sim
11 Comments
Have you got an o2 simcard to see whether the phone works at all?

You're right that a Tesco sim should work in an o2 locked iphone.
Its blacklisted sorry

spitroast

I think you will find it would need to be unlocked for the Tesco sim to work. Either you or the seller will need to contact o2 and ask for the unlock form.

punkstoner1

return it and make the sellers life hell.

Why? Unless OP asked the seller a question before purchasing whether the phone would work on Tesco sim and the seller replied yes it would, the seller has done nothing wrong.
fluffyundacrakas

I think you will find it would need to be unlocked for the Tesco sim to … I think you will find it would need to be unlocked for the Tesco sim to work. Either you or the seller will need to contact o2 and ask for the unlock form. Why? Unless OP asked the seller a question before purchasing whether the phone would work on Tesco sim and the seller replied yes it would, the seller has done nothing wrong.

The reason is that the Tesco SIM should work in the iPhone and the only reason it would not (if properly installed) is that the iPhone has been blacklisted..
Lowtrawler

The reason is that the Tesco SIM should work in the iPhone and the only … The reason is that the Tesco SIM should work in the iPhone and the only reason it would not (if properly installed) is that the iPhone has been blacklisted..

Don’t make such sweeping assumptions. If you Google it, you will find similar stories where people have tried Tesco sims in an o2 locked phone to find it won’t work. o2 sim in Tesco mobile works fine, but vice versa and you will need to have it unlocked.
fluffyundacrakas

Don’t make such sweeping assumptions. If you Google it, you will find s … Don’t make such sweeping assumptions. If you Google it, you will find similar stories where people have tried Tesco sims in an o2 locked phone to find it won’t work. o2 sim in Tesco mobile works fine, but vice versa and you will need to have it unlocked.

o2 sims don't work in Tesco phones, it's the other way round.
calmacuk

o2 sims don't work in Tesco phones, it's the other way round.

I have tried an o2 sim in Tesco phone and it worked fine.

Some more help for the OP HERE and here
yep fluffy,my missus bought an o2 locked i phone 3g (about 2 years ago) and she had to get hers unlocked so she could use her tesco sim!
whingygit

yep fluffy,my missus bought an o2 locked i phone 3g (about 2 years ago) … yep fluffy,my missus bought an o2 locked i phone 3g (about 2 years ago) and she had to get hers unlocked so she could use her tesco sim!

Thank you for confirming whingygit, you do your username a disservice

fluffyundacrakas

Thank you for confirming whingygit, you do your username a disservice

hmmm.....my missus would probably disagree with you on that one!

just wanted to say a big thanks for all your help, i had to get o2 to unlock the phone for me at a cost of £15. The story is that you cant put a tesco mobile sim in an o2 iphone. It only took 24 hours to unlock

thanks again guys xx
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants