Groups

Help! I need help with assembly of a kids bike, can't work out how to do the brake cable.

Got my son a 10" bike for his birthday and we can't work out how to do the brake cable into the handle brake level. Instructions are shocking!

14 Comments

you need to loosen it off at the other end of the cable. so you have enough play in it to get it on. then tighten up again afterwards.

If you loosen it from the brake side it should give you more slack on the lever side.

Then tighten it back up once you have got it into the lever?

Original Poster

How far along the lever does it slide in? God this is head frying lol!

Press the lever down there will be a slot on one side which the cable fits into

babyblue;5034966

How far along the lever does it slide in? God this is head frying lol!

Sorry i don't know or understand what you are asking now?

Original Poster

jtx;5035029

Press the lever down there will be a slot on one side which the cable … Press the lever down there will be a slot on one side which the cable fits into

Yeah I've done that but how far along the slot does it slide?

I have got it in and it seems to trigger the cable but doesn't work the brake :oops:

I really don't know what I am doing wrong. The intructions says *go to part 8 for help on brakes* but my instructions go upto part 6 pmsl.

Original Poster

radiocde;5035030

Sorry i don't know or understand what you are asking now?

The brake lever has a slot and then like a gap that the cable seems to slide along. How far along do you slide it? Right to the end or just to the middle?

Original Poster

jtx;5035085

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-change-a-bicycle-brake-cable

Thanks but its just a kiddies bike with plastic lever.

loosen the nut the cable is attatched to at the brake caliper ( the wheel end) squeeze the brake in so the cable slides through the nut then re-tighten.

Original Poster

shanecr;5035277

loosen the nut the cable is attatched to at the brake caliper ( the wheel … loosen the nut the cable is attatched to at the brake caliper ( the wheel end) squeeze the brake in so the cable slides through the nut then re-tighten.

Done that .... :oops: Trust this its his birthday tomorrow and I think there is something wrong with the cable or something as it wont stay in the lever and I can not work it out at all.

babyblue;5035316

Done that .... :oops: Trust this its his birthday tomorrow and I think … Done that .... :oops: Trust this its his birthday tomorrow and I think there is something wrong with the cable or something as it wont stay in the lever and I can not work it out at all.

have someone help you. it seems the cable is stiff inside the outer sleeve and is sliding out the lever a bit so when you retighten you havent actually done anything.
    If someone can can loosen and hold the front brake so that it is 'on' and someone else pulls on the cable at the wheel end untill it pulls no more, then release just a tiny bit then you retighten the brake nut.

Is the circular bit on the end of the cable not staying in the circular hole that's visible when you pull the lever?

Original Poster

jtx;5035388

Is the circular bit on the end of the cable not staying in the circular … Is the circular bit on the end of the cable not staying in the circular hole that's visible when you pull the lever?

No it just comes back out again. Plus when I pull the cable by hand it doesn't actually do anything to the brakes at all.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions