HELP! I want to report an uninsured company

Banned 11
Found 17th Sep 2008
I recently hired a removal company to help me move house. They damaged my leather sofa in the move, but said dont worry we can pay for a new one on our insurance, i will get the boss to ring you back. After a few days of hearing nothing I rang them and not only was the owner very rude to me, but he said its all my fault and made up several stories that I am supposed to have told him at the start, in order to get out of repairing the damage. Then afer shouting at me for half an hour he said the company arn't insured so he cant pay out. I dont know if my new sofa will be fixed, but I do want to report them so it doesnt happen to anyone else.

Any ideas??

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

Go and smash there windows if they are not insured :viking:

Banned

they don't have to be insured in the first place do they?

its only a removals company

Trading Standards (consumer direct) perhaps? Sorry to hear you've been treated so badly. Scum like that need a god kicking!

God kicking? Maybe! GOOD kicking even!

Its something you should ask to see upfront with anyone carrying out work for you, the liability insurance. I dont think by law they have to be insured, put it down to experience and a lesson learned the hard way. Sorry if it sounds harsh for a very stressful experience.

Look on the bright side our somerfield had contractors in to re-roof, one dropped the torch used for sealing the felt and set the place on fire virtually gutting the place, the roofers legged it as they had no insurance, the result? well see for yourself:

youtube.com/wat…h-0
youtube.com/wat…hHg

this was 15 months ago and the place finally re-opens next week as a tesco.

I urge anyone after this to check any workers liability insurance certificates, no matter what a genuine worker will be happy to show them to you.

Original Poster Banned

OMG thats shocking, Well on the website it says FULLY INSURED AND ENVIRONMENT AGENCY REGISTERED
so I assumed it would be ok, plus the guy who wrecked the sofa told me they would pay for it.

More angry about the way the guy started making up stories really and shouting at me saying id told him the sofas wernt being moved etc.....incase anyone lives in plymouth...dont use basils removals lol

Name & Shame them please

edit: just seen above

Call trading standards asap

If you have house contents insurance, most policies cover you for your belongings whilst in transit. Try talking to your own insurance company as they should take it up for you. If it comes to the worst you can just claim off your own policy.

caraluvskittens;2989001

OMG thats shocking, Well on the website it says FULLY INSURED AND … OMG thats shocking, Well on the website it says FULLY INSURED AND ENVIRONMENT AGENCY REGISTEREDso I assumed it would be ok, plus the guy who wrecked the sofa told me they would pay for it.More angry about the way the guy started making up stories really and shouting at me saying id told him the sofas wernt being moved etc.....incase anyone lives in plymouth...dont use basils removals lol

They could have been referring to liability insurance. Certainly misleading, but in reality probably not worth pursuing as the owner is not helpful.

caraluvskittens;2989001

incase anyone lives in plymouth...dont use basils removals lol

Basil fawlty springs to mind

Couldn't you take them to the small claims court?
Post a comment
@
    Text