Help identifying beach find

Posted 3rd Nov
Hi all was wondering if anyone could help me identify what me and my son found on the beach today my son is really into dinosaurs and we found what we thought could be a dinosaur bone might sound really silly and we might be well of track would be interesting to find out what it could be thanks in advance3323690-vtzhs.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
confusedfashion1903/11/2019 22:45

bet you guys think a right wally looked unusual so thought we’d find out w …bet you guys think a right wally looked unusual so thought we’d find out what it is now to tell my 4 yr old or tell him we found dinosaur bones disappoint him when his a bit older

He's 4 years old and will believe anything you say to him, ignore every previous comment as none will be a qualified dinosaur expert, if you say you found dinosaur then you did, keep the magic alive as long as you can with the little one, enjoy your adventures
I can confirm this is part of the left upper claw of a Torvosaurus, my congratulations to the young dinosaur hunter
Years of being an archaeologist and digging up bones, that used to go moo. No need to tell your son though
24 Comments
Could it not just be from cattle?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 3rd Nov
Could be as simple as a deteriorated cow bone, some dog owner just left them behind. Won’t be dinosaur that’s for sure.
Haircut_10003/11/2019 22:40

Could it not just be from cattle?

It could be I wouldn’t have a clue
eslick03/11/2019 22:41

Could be as simple as a deteriorated cow bone, some dog owner just left …Could be as simple as a deteriorated cow bone, some dog owner just left them behind. Won’t be dinosaur that’s for sure.

bet you guys think a right wally looked unusual so thought we’d find out what it is now to tell my 4 yr old or tell him we found dinosaur bones disappoint him when his a bit older
dinosaur? i doubt a dinosaur bone would fit through your front door!
as someone said above, probably a dog bone that the owners have given their dog as a treat. our dog uses it as a toy.

bet you guys think a right wally looked unusual so thought we’d find out w …bet you guys think a right wally looked unusual so thought we’d find out what it is now to tell my 4 yr old or tell him we found dinosaur bones disappoint him when his a bit older

Hey at that age it’s all about the imagination
Left fishy? Right dog bone
I'd find some lad geek who loves a challenge

He's 4 years old and will believe anything you say to him, ignore every previous comment as none will be a qualified dinosaur expert, if you say you found dinosaur then you did, keep the magic alive as long as you can with the little one, enjoy your adventures
I can confirm this is part of the left upper claw of a Torvosaurus, my congratulations to the young dinosaur hunter
I did palaeontology at uni, if those were dinosaur bones they would have been fossilised and therefore not made of bone anymore but rock. Looking at the photos they still look like they made of bone and can be assumed that they're from something like a cow.
DaThetopdog03/11/2019 23:23

Left fishy? Right dog boneI'd find some lad geek who loves a challenge

* Lady geeks also available.

(Probably more available than other females; depending on your preference).
fanpages04/11/2019 09:38

* Lady geeks also available.(Probably more available than other females; …* Lady geeks also available.(Probably more available than other females; depending on your preference).

Apologies my bad ✋
Years of being an archaeologist and digging up bones, that used to go moo. No need to tell your son though
Might want to tell him that fossilized = rock to save a few problems down the line, ...sheep drown, ships throw "waste" overboard.
Take him to a reservoir (often lots of see fossils around) ..or to peterborough, the fens are massive for fossils, ..if nearby, the brickwork turf up some terrific funds as witnessed at their museum! ...you don't have to go far around the world to the famed "badlands" we are rich in fossilized whatnots, ...pick him up some bogwood & tell him how old it is, ..plenty laying around after ploughing in the wetter months.
..& Buy him some coprolite
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 4th Nov
Mr_Gus04/11/2019 12:05

Might want to tell him that fossilized = rock to save a few problems down …Might want to tell him that fossilized = rock to save a few problems down the line, ...sheep drown, ships throw "waste" overboard.Take him to a reservoir (often lots of see fossils around) ..or to peterborough, the fens are massive for fossils, ..if nearby, the brickwork turf up some terrific funds as witnessed at their museum! ...you don't have to go far around the world to the famed "badlands" we are rich in fossilized whatnots, ...pick him up some bogwood & tell him how old it is, ..plenty laying around after ploughing in the wetter months...& Buy him some coprolite

not coprolite. He's only four!
_-Richie-_03/11/2019 23:28

He's 4 years old and will believe anything you say to him, ignore every …He's 4 years old and will believe anything you say to him, ignore every previous comment as none will be a qualified dinosaur expert, if you say you found dinosaur then you did, keep the magic alive as long as you can with the little one, enjoy your adventures

That's so lovely
Thanks to all you guys really appreciate you’re time (and for not thinking I’m an idiot ) so looks like we found a cattlesaurus 😜 but may the hunt go on xxx
confusedfashion1904/11/2019 12:30

Thanks to all you guys really appreciate you’re time (and for not thinking …Thanks to all you guys really appreciate you’re time (and for not thinking I’m an idiot ) so looks like we found a cattlesaurus 😜 but may the hunt go on xxx

Cattlesaurus can see where he gets his imagination from keep up the good work
confusedfashion1904/11/2019 12:30

Thanks to all you guys really appreciate you’re time (and for not thinking …Thanks to all you guys really appreciate you’re time (and for not thinking I’m an idiot ) so looks like we found a cattlesaurus 😜 but may the hunt go on xxx

Keep an eye out for the Tyrranafoxus trying to steal them back.
mutley103/11/2019 22:45

dinosaur? i doubt a dinosaur bone would fit through your front …dinosaur? i doubt a dinosaur bone would fit through your front door!as someone said above, probably a dog bone that the owners have given their dog as a treat. our dog uses it as a toy.

The smallest known dinosaur, Compsognathus was about the size of a chicken.
Microceratops , a runner-up in the smallest dinosaur category, was only the size of a rabbit.
infoplease.com/mat…aur
Oneday7704/11/2019 12:36

Keep an eye out for the Tyrranafoxus trying to steal them back.

I was wondering why my puppy kept trying to get them
fearona04/11/2019 12:42

The smallest known dinosaur, Compsognathus was about the size of a …The smallest known dinosaur, Compsognathus was about the size of a chicken.Microceratops , a runner-up in the smallest dinosaur category, was only the size of a rabbit.https://www.infoplease.com/math-science/biology/plants-animals/smallest-dinosaur

but all the ones in the movies are huge. chicken dinosaur sounds yummy
psychobitchfromhell04/11/2019 12:14

not coprolite. He's only four!

The glee of a small child telling an unwitting adult that held in the adults hand is dinosaur poo!
Cow bones for sure from a dog's treat on the beach but for sure dinosaur bones sounds better so go with that for pure enjoyment...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants