Groups
    EXPIRED

help installing second hard drive?

SuperEd
    right got a 320 gb harddrive connect it via sata and power cable and gives me BSOD saying something like win32k.sys page_fault_in_non_paged_area?

also tried installing windows but doesnt pick it up just my main hd?
    anyone help?

40 Comments

usually plug and play.
    have you formatted it yet?

Original Poster SuperEd

it wont even come up?

Could it be something to do with the jumper on the back?

Original Poster SuperEd

see this is where i get lost....:oops:

What do you mean it wont even come up?

goonertillidie;4847538

see this is where i get lost....:oops:

Its not as hard as it seems, but I would wait and see what others say first, as the jumper setting may be irrelevent in this case...:thumbsup:

Original Poster SuperEd

soon asi plug it in(2nd hard drive) i get BSOD and the error tried re-installing windows to the set up screen and see if i can see it but just my primary drive

deathtrap3000;4847606

What do you mean it wont even come up?

I think what he means is he cant boot into windows without it BSOD'ing

Original Poster SuperEd

btw its a samsung 320gb model hd320kj

Original Poster SuperEd

djstrobe4real;4847635

I think what he means is he cant boot into windows without it BSOD'ing

correct! :thumbsup:

goonertillidie;4847634

soon asi plug it in(2nd hard drive) i get BSOD and the error tried … soon asi plug it in(2nd hard drive) i get BSOD and the error tried re-installing windows to the set up screen and see if i can see it but just my primary drive

Are they both SATA drives? Both on master jumper or master slave?

Try attaching one drive at a time and ensure both are functioning.

Then, plug both in and check bios can see both. then try re-installing windows...

SATA drives do NOT require jumper settings for master and slave despite what you have been told. The reason Windows does not see the drive is due to the incorrect drivers being loaded. When you install Windows you need to give it the required SATA driver. In XP, this requires a floppy disc but in Vista you can provide the drivers via a USB device such as flash memory, optical drive or hard drive. Oh if the drive has been previously formatted with a Linux OS, Windows Vista will NOT recognise the drive!

You can also intall Windows on the drive without the SATA drivers if you set the BIOS to use IDE emulation. This will use the drive electronics of the drive for read and write and allows for basic I/O but many of the SATA features such as Native Command Queuing will not be available.

I would also recommend performing a memory test using Memtest if you continue to receive the blue screen.

As i clearly said the jumper settings may be irrelevent in this case...

Original Poster SuperEd

right tried connecting the 2nd drive via the primary leads it found it but couldnt install windows due to it being needed to have a format,got both drives plugged in now but when i get into windows itself i can only see the primary drive not the samsung one?!

sounds like a knackered drive... if u can now boot ok and it don't appear in disk management its a goner

goonertillidie;4848147

right tried connecting the 2nd drive via the primary leads it found it … right tried connecting the 2nd drive via the primary leads it found it but couldnt install windows due to it being needed to have a format,got both drives plugged in now but when i get into windows itself i can only see the primary drive not the samsung one?!

During Windows installation, you can format the drive. Windows XP has clear instructions on how this is achieved and in Vista you need advanced drive options to create a partition and format it.

Original Poster SuperEd

ill give it a go!

Original Poster SuperEd

right got the drive going loaded windows 7 onto it ,but cant get both going @ the same time?

Original Poster SuperEd

Bump 1

goonertillidie;4856578

right got the drive going loaded windows 7 onto it ,but cant get both … right got the drive going loaded windows 7 onto it ,but cant get both going @ the same time?

Windows 7 can see both drives. Can you take me through the steps taken when installing and which drive did you install Windows 7 on?

try a different sata port and make sure all are enabled in bios, some boards disable the secondary sata ports to make the first ones emulate ide drives.
    make sure you have the sata drivers loaded in os.
    what main board is it?

Original Poster SuperEd

its the boad that came with my dell dimension 9100,vista on main drive(formatted it and installed fresh) and windows 7 on 2nd but whenever i plug the 2nd drive it either comp freezes or i get BSOD? but if i plug the windows 7 drive on its on it loads perfectly and vice versa

Original Poster SuperEd

Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 6001) Dell Inc. Dimension 9100
    System Service Tag: ****** (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: ******
    Enclosure Type: Tower
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Inc. 0X8582
    Serial Number: ..CN7082156IH07M.
    Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A01 05/25/2005
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    249.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    225.19 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD2500JD-75HBC0 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAL73081739, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy 2046 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 512 MB (serial number 0206F826)
    Slot 'DIMM_3' has 512 MB (serial number F80C7B47)
    Slot 'DIMM_2' has 512 MB (serial number 0206C620)
    Slot 'DIMM_4' has 512 MB (serial number F80C7B4C)
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 249.99 GB 225.19 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    dan 08/04/2009 07:07:29 (admin)
    local system accounts
    Administrator 21/01/2008 02:45:56 (admin)
    Guest never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    Controllers Display
    ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
    ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
    Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Display adapter]
    Dell E193FP [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n H665054SL22P, April 2005)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    High Definition Audio Device
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Communications Other Devices
    Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.***.0.3 / 24
    Gateway: 192.***.0.1
    Dhcp Server: 192.***.0.1
    Physical Address: 00:12:3F:73:31:37
    isatap.{22540E1F-40F0-4D0A-9AA8-A6409F280B7F}
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.***.0.1
    OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
    HID-compliant device
    USB Human Interface Device (3x)
    HID Keyboard Device
    HID-compliant mouse
    Generic USB Hub
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub (5x)
    Generic volume shadow copy

good one, have to admit not seen that before.
    when you say "whenever i plug the 2nd drive it either comp freezes or i get BSOD?" it sounds like the machine is switched on when you are doing this? if so turn it off and boot with both drives attached..will give it some thought and get back to you..

Original Poster SuperEd

ill try it again but did try when off tell you what happens cheers maddogb

Original Poster SuperEd

right got both drives plug in loaded windows vista and cant see my 2nd drive?

go into bios and check if they are detected in there..if not its a hardware issue which may be fixed with a bios update check dells website for newer bios.

Original Poster SuperEd

best bios update i can see is 2006?? for dell 9100

so are the drives detected in the bios?, (f2 on boot) also try set controller to ahci if not on but you will need to install the sata drivers in OS.

Original Poster SuperEd

it was set on combination changed it to achi and just keep rebooting ?

goonertillidie;4869291

it was set on combination changed it to achi and just keep rebooting ?

You have been misadvised again. AHCI is NOT the correct setting unless you install the drivers. Also, you can connect SATA drives while the machine is on. Hot swapping is part of SATA specifications.

Can you unplug your optical drives and reboot again? The results will help to me determine what the problem is.

ElliottC;4869960

You have been misadvised again. AHCI is NOT the correct setting unless … You have been misadvised again. AHCI is NOT the correct setting unless you install the drivers. Also, you can connect SATA drives while the machine is on. Hot swapping is part of SATA specifications.Can you unplug your optical drives and reboot again? The results will help to me determine what the problem is.

actually he wasn't misadvised as he was told to install the sata drivers, but you are misadvising him here
    Not all bios manufacturers stick to specifications and many sata combis do not support hot swapping.

maddogb;4872768

actually he wasn't misadvised as he was told to install the sata drivers, … actually he wasn't misadvised as he was told to install the sata drivers, but you are misadvising him hereNot all bios manufacturers stick to specifications and many sata combis do not support hot swapping.

Yes you did state drivers are to be installed but I'd still recommend using IDE emulation when installing Windows as this eschews the need for drivers. The drivers can be installed later if switching to AHCI but for the purposes of tracking down the faults it is much easier to simplify things.

The Intel ICH7 controller on the OP's board does support hot swapping. The BIOS is irrelevant as it is used for sending basic data to and from components (hence its nomenclature). It's the SATA controller and chipset that aids the communications between the drive and CPU. Hence, it can be argued that a non-standard chipset would disable hot swapping but again, not in this case.

I reckon I'd have it cracked within 15-30 minutes of tinkering :P

Clearly I can't do that though :P

I haven't read all the replies (some of the advice seemed a bit iffy) but I will ask, when you boot into your master drive, and you check disk manager, does it show any other drives in any shape or form apart from your C, your DVD drive or any usb drives?

(Obviously both drives need to be plugged in - Do this while the machine is off, to be on the safe side.)

ElliottC;4875727

Yes you did state drivers are to be installed but I'd still recommend … Yes you did state drivers are to be installed but I'd still recommend using IDE emulation when installing Windows as this eschews the need for drivers. The drivers can be installed later if switching to AHCI but for the purposes of tracking down the faults it is much easier to simplify things.The Intel ICH7 controller on the OP's board does support hot swapping. The BIOS is irrelevant as it is used for sending basic data to and from components (hence its nomenclature). It's the SATA controller and chipset that aids the communications between the drive and CPU. Hence, it can be argued that a non-standard chipset would disable hot swapping but again, not in this case.

sorry but you are very wrong here on a few counts, especially about the bios relationship ((to see an example, set your usb ports to disable in bios and hotplug something in)
    the combi setting on those dell boards makes the sata controller emulate a secondary ide channel, ie ONLY 2 devices

Original Poster SuperEd

DragonChris;4875785

I reckon I'd have it cracked within 15-30 minutes of tinkering :PClearly … I reckon I'd have it cracked within 15-30 minutes of tinkering :PClearly I can't do that though :PI haven't read all the replies (some of the advice seemed a bit iffy) but I will ask, when you boot into your master drive, and you check disk manager, does it show any other drives in any shape or form apart from your C, your DVD drive or any usb drives?(Obviously both drives need to be plugged in - Do this while the machine is off, to be on the safe side.)

tried both devices plugged in but al i can see is main drive no 2nd drive,checked device manager nothing and nothing via right click on my comp and manage

no offence m8 but sometimes it seems u ain't listening?, makes it sorta hard to help..
    u need to install ]these drivers then reboot and go set bios sata to ahci mode

Original Poster SuperEd

if i wasnt listening i wouldnt be replying i havent a clue about this so thats why i asked for help thats why im glad people take time to help.

maddogb;4876369

sorry but you are very wrong here on a few counts, especially about the … sorry but you are very wrong here on a few counts, especially about the bios relationship ((to see an example, set your usb ports to disable in bios and hotplug something in) the combi setting on those dell boards makes the sata controller emulate a secondary ide channel, ie ONLY 2 devices

No, no, no! As explained earlier, the BIOS provides basic data transfer which includes USB communications. Of course, switching USB off will prevent the USB ports working. This has no relevance to SATA. When SATA ports are set to use the IDE circuitry on hard drives, this does not affirm that only 2 devices can be used. Each SATA port on the board supports IDE communication - it is not limited to 2 devices. Anyway, have the final say because we will have to disagree.

For the OP, it is far easier to set the SATA ports to use IDE rather than AHCI as this eschews driver installation. Did you physically remove your optical drives and reboot the machine?

ElliotC please stop with the contradiction, the point of these threads is so that people will ADD information, so far you have mainly contradicted what I have said whilst failing to offer options beyond or differing from those i have already suggested.
    Also your tone is coming across as slightly patronising considering you missed the many clues leading up to my post 25, which sorted the untrapped windows error and actually allowed the OP to access the drive thus telling us the drive was not actually faulty.

The bios is very relevent here because it can actually disable the sata interfaces, hence my usb comparison, if the interface is disabled windows will not see the attached drive due to the hierarchical nature of the windows hal
    As the current set up is plainly not working we have to suggest an alternative or all alternative approaches to ensure this is actually a hardware problem as you seem to be suggesting?
    How can we do that sticking to the dells preset notion of combination mode for ide emulation without knowing what that actually is?
    If this preset mode is aimed at legacy OS compatibility it will most certainly disable some of the SATA ports
    The dell guide gives no detailed information for what the BIOS does in the various modes, another mode which may be beneficial and can easily be tried by the OP is the RAID/ATA Autodetect which may enable all the SATA ports, or it may not...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764206
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio44
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846165
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136

See more discussions