HELP Iphone 3G Problem

13 replies
Found 3rd Mar 2009
I brought a Iphone off HUKD a week ago and it was jailbroken. it froze and restart once but then i decided straight away to restore it. problem solved...for now. then i have been using it for a few days as normal put a few free apps on there and yesterday as i was going back home it showed battery low 20% remaining so no worries as i got home stuck it on charge. i wanted to use my phone so as it reached half way i started using it again. by the time i finished doing what i was doing it was battery low again and stuck it on charge for the night. i presumed it would charge as it showed a plug on the battery so i left it and went sleep. as i woke up checked it and the battery was still in the red. so i thought it must be the charger so i decided to buy a charger today. the battery emptied out this morning as i was coming to work on the bus and it showed (as it is now) a battery icon with red showing its emptying. the charger i was using wasnt working now so i decided to buy one this lunchtime it might fix the problem. i was charging the phone for around 15 mins before taking it off charge as i had to go out of lunch still showing same icon. so im guessing it must be the phone.

at current moment its showing a battery symbol with red and along the bottom of the screen it shows a plug and a arrow going to the right with a lighting symbol. i cannot get it to recognise in itunes nor will my laptop recognise it. i cannot get out of the page can anyone help? thanks anything will be appreciated

13 Comments

Have you tried rebotting, hold down power and home key until reboots.

Then try recharging

Original Poster

yep i tried it it doesn't do anything the screen goes back to the same battery low screen. i dunno what to do because thats a last resort and that doesn't even work. it won't recognise on my laptop either i dunno what i could do or how much it could cost to fix. i don't understand because the iphone is practically brand new.

My guess is you've installed a dodgy app that drains your battery or just looks like it does. Uninstall the apps one by one(pain un the ar*e) and reboot or you will have to restore it. I think

Sounds like the battery maybe knackered. Try leaving on charge for 24 hours, I know with mine when the battery drained completly my PC would not recognise until it had a certain amount of charge

Sorry not much use

Banned

The Funky Monkey;4539105

My guess is you've installed a dodgy app that drains your battery or just … My guess is you've installed a dodgy app that drains your battery or just looks like it does. Uninstall the apps one by one(pain un the ar*e) and reboot or you will have to restore it. I think

My guess is not what he said ^ lol

Anyway, have you tried charging from a power point rather than USB?

I had a similar problem, when windows decided it wasn't going to detect the USB port I had always used for my iphone.

I've had other slightly similar issues as well, especially when the battery is low, and the remedy is to use the AC plug and charge it from the mains not usb. Seems more reliable when the battery is nearly flat.

Obviously this is useless if you already use mains power

Ive had a jailbroken 2g iphone for a while now. I know theyre slightly different but the same things happened to me a few times with dodgy apps. It might not be it but if you installed an app about the time it started going wrong it might be worth a go to uninstall it.

Banned

The Funky Monkey;4539213

Ive had a jailbroken 2g iphone for a while now. I know theyre slightly … Ive had a jailbroken 2g iphone for a while now. I know theyre slightly different but the same things happened to me a few times with dodgy apps. It might not be it but if you installed an app about the time it started going wrong it might be worth a go to uninstall it.

If its "a few free apps" off cydia or installer... I guess it could happen. However, considering it was doing it before, and after a restore, and a few apps is probably from the app store, I'd say you are wrong, but im happy to also be proved wrong on that front.

Original Poster

i am using mains power it doesn't recognise on my laptop anyways. ok for some reason its gone past that stage and im finally in my apps and etc i think i need a new charger because when i plug it in it keeps making that noise when you plug it in over and over again so i have taken it out and switched my iphone off til i get a new one hopefully today. and i haven't used any apps on cydia or the other one all my apps that iv downloaded once the phone was mine was from itunes including some paid ones so i don't understand. im gonna try and get a new charger hopefully but i dunno if argos or anyone else do one does anyone know? i want a official once i can't use the ipod touch charger could i?

Banned

stretfordend2008;4539365

i am using mains power it doesn't recognise on my laptop anyways. ok for … i am using mains power it doesn't recognise on my laptop anyways. ok for some reason its gone past that stage and im finally in my apps and etc i think i need a new charger because when i plug it in it keeps making that noise when you plug it in over and over again so i have taken it out and switched my iphone off til i get a new one hopefully today. and i haven't used any apps on cydia or the other one all my apps that iv downloaded once the phone was mine was from itunes including some paid ones so i don't understand. im gonna try and get a new charger hopefully but i dunno if argos or anyone else do one does anyone know? i want a official once i can't use the ipod touch charger could i?

Fair enough, thats cancelled all my advice anyway!

Sadly, I suspect you've been sold a bit of a lemon. Hope you can fix it though!

Original Poster

i hope not lol. thanks for the advice people. i have managed to get it going and its the usb lead on the power adaptor thats faulty so off i go to buy one for a tenner as im desperate to get a full battery haven't used it all day! thanks once again will keep this thread updated if i come across any problems as and when and hopefully i won't...cheers once again!

stretfordend2008;4539365

i am using mains power it doesn't recognise on my laptop anyways. ok for … i am using mains power it doesn't recognise on my laptop anyways. ok for some reason its gone past that stage and im finally in my apps and etc i think i need a new charger because when i plug it in it keeps making that noise when you plug it in over and over again so i have taken it out and switched my iphone off til i get a new one hopefully today. and i haven't used any apps on cydia or the other one all my apps that iv downloaded once the phone was mine was from itunes including some paid ones so i don't understand. im gonna try and get a new charger hopefully but i dunno if argos or anyone else do one does anyone know? i want a official once i can't use the ipod touch charger could i?

When the iPhone is really , really low on power you will get the red battery symbol and it will not switch on until it has charged some more. I've been told that the iPhone 2G/iPod and 3G USB cables have different pin outs for the power and the 2G cable will not charge the 3G.

I've had it happen to me, My problem was one of the pins on the adapter of the phone was bent, I was very fortunate to bend it back with a safety pin. computer, charger wouldn't recognise phone
Hope that helps.

Original Poster

Well i found the problem seems to be the usb on the power adaptor. now its working flawlessly and haven't had any problems so far has been normal use since 5 yesterday afternoon. is this a common problem with iphones that when the battery gets really low or dead it takes a while to charge up? i was getting a bit annoyed with mine since since it cost so much but i googled the problem too aswell as making a thread on here but thanks mittu. i have tried my brothers ipod touch usb onto my ac adaptor and its been fine so far.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    2. word association Game74244916
    3. Add one, leave one game54415442
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604813

See more discussions