Help - is this a weed or a wildflower of some kind?

Found 19th Apr 2009
Last year I did a daft thing and sprinkled wildflower seed all over my front garden. Had a nightmare thereafter as I didn't know what was a weed and what was a wildflower, haha!

Anyway... Now there is only this one left and unfortunately the gardening guru (my mam) can't identify this one.

I've been waiting to see if it develops into a flower, but so far, it just seems to be forming shoots and creating clones of itself all over.

Can anyone identify what it is? I think I will leave it for now, as it's better having this than mud anyway, but would be good to know what the heck it is

Thanks!

Photo in first post....

16 Comments

Original Poster

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/hodsey77/19042009407.jpg

If in doubt, pull it out! :lol:

Original Poster

moob;4972569

I suppose - I'm just thinking it could blossom into something beautiful, hehe! And I'd only have to put something else in it's place, lol!

Looks like some kinda fern.

Original Poster

moob;4972627

Looks like some kinda fern.

Yea, that's what I thought... tried looking on google images but not seen anything close so far...

I'm hoping there will be someone on here that'll recognise it - otherwise I'll have to join some gardening forum, lol! Any suggestions?!?

Triffid ?

Looks like a weed, though quite a pretty one, called 'yarrow'

arcobaleno;4972841

Looks like a weed, though quite a pretty one, called 'yarrow'

And the winner is.....

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/YarrowPlant.jpg

Looks like that to me!

Strictly by definition a weed is anything growing in a place you dont want it to be!

Also known as achillea. Its a perennial wild flower or weed depending on where it is.

Original Poster

Oh thanks arcobaleno - what a lovely first post!

Have some rep

I've a feeling that is from the wildflower seeds, then Looking on the web, it seems it is considered a weed, wildflower and a herb by different people, lol!

I think I'll leave it for now - I'm sure it'll look nice when the flowers grow and it fills out a bit

moob;4972569

NOoooooooooooooooooo.!!!!! I did that years ago when I was helping (or thought I was helping) my dad with the gardening.......I dug up the weeds and turned the soil........only for my dad to come out to the garden and go balistic coz it was actually flowers that I had dug up and turned...:-(

Yep , looks like an achillea. Had one in the garden for years and its quite nice in the border when it flowers.:)

Original Poster

rosie2008;4973128

Yep , looks like an achillea. Had one in the garden for years and its … Yep , looks like an achillea. Had one in the garden for years and its quite nice in the border when it flowers.:)

Yea, I think they'll look nice... am quite chuffed actually I thought it had pretty leaves but didn't think it was going to flower. They look better than I thought. Plus, it seems it has many healing properties:

www.herbs2000.com

For centuries, yarrow has been used to heal wounds, especially in … For centuries, yarrow has been used to heal wounds, especially in Scotland people made a conventional wound liniment from yarrow to treat cuts, bruises and other injuries. Going by Greek mythology, Achilles was reported to have intensively used yarrow to cure his wounds. Chamazulene, found in yarrow and also in some volatile oils, strikingly possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties. On the other hand, sesquiterpene lactones contained in yarrow are bitter and act as a stimulant, while achilleine aids in curbing internal as well as external hemorrhage. Flavonoids present in yarrow are perhaps responsible for the herb’s anti-spasmodic results. In addition, yarrow is useful in controlling the menstrual cycle, curbing heavy bleeding as well as relieving women from menstrual pains.Researches have established yarrow to be an excellent herb to heal abscesses (a localized collection of pus in the tissues of the body). When yarrow is blended with other herbs, it helps in healing colds and flu. The herb’s sour stimulant possessions render it helpful in promoting poor digestion and colic (a disease characterized by severe pain in the intestines owing to various affections of the gastrointestinal tract). In addition, yarrow is also effective in healing hay fever, lowering high blood pressure, enhancing blood circulation in the veins, and taunting up swollen or knotted veins. When applied externally, yarrow is also useful as a herbal cleanser for skin wrinkles.

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;4973089

NOoooooooooooooooooo.!!!!! I did that years ago when I was helping (or … NOoooooooooooooooooo.!!!!! I did that years ago when I was helping (or thought I was helping) my dad with the gardening.......I dug up the weeds and turned the soil........only for my dad to come out to the garden and go balistic coz it was actually flowers that I had dug up and turned...:-(

Lol! That's happened to me, but I did it to my own plants. My mam gave me some cuttings off her plants, and I've promptly dug most of them up thinking they were weeds! Doh!

I'll get there eventually

hodsey77;4973215

Lol! That's happened to me, but I did it to my own plants. My mam gave me … Lol! That's happened to me, but I did it to my own plants. My mam gave me some cuttings off her plants, and I've promptly dug most of them up thinking they were weeds! Doh!I'll get there eventually

lol....I stopped all gardening related activity since that day.....

I'm a DIY person.....as in Destroy-It-Yourself .....I dont fair well with these tasks...lol:-D

Yes it is a plant
Post a comment
@
    Text