Groups
    EXPIRED

Help! Looking for a Dell for video editing

OK, my PC is getting a bit out of date now (.....er......its circa 1999 and I'm still running Windows 98.....and my clothes are from the 80s but that's another story!) - so time to invest in a new machine, budget £500-£1000.

I'm looking to buy from Dell but haven't much of a a clue about modern specs, so could you possibly help me in my quest.

This is what I'm looking for.

TFT
    Usual email/internet/mp3 stuff
    Video editing
    Digital camera card slots
    DVD authoring and burning
    CD burning
    Web design
    I don't have any gaming needs......

*I already have a standalone DVD-Recorder with HD (Panasonic DMREX85) so will probably transfer any vidcam footage to that and then onto a disc for use with video editing on the pc - rather than requiring a capture card for direct transfer to PC from the vidcam.

Which of the Dell machines would be best to head towards, and what specs would be good entry level and which upgrades should I consider?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:thumbsup:

14 Comments

It all depends how hardcore your video editing is going to be....If you're just talking Windows Movie Maker and a handycam, then you can get away with any modern computer. If you're talking more advanced video editing, then it needs to be a little more powerful.

For high-end video editing, you should be looking for at least 2GB of RAM, dual core processors, and PLENTY of harddrive space. Obviously extra HDDs can be easily added at a later date, but it's good to start with a good solid base (1 80GB drive for the OS, programs, MP3s, and all other crap and a 2 x 250GB Raid array). With, say, the Dell Dimension 9100 you could even edit HDV footage (as I do!).
    If TFT is very important to you because of space, then fair enough, but otherwise for video editing, I'd recommend getting hold of 2 CRTs. You'll be able to pick them up for next to nothing, and once you've edited on dual monitors you'll never go back!
    Make sure you get an openGL compatible graphics card, (ATI radeon or Nvidia Geforce) with dual monitor capability (see above).

You don't need a "capture card" as such, just a firewire port. Which I would HIGHLY recommend. Capturing via firewire direct from camera (miniDV?) to computer will allow you to capture at the highest possible quality. Capturing using a DVD recorder will compress the footage and you'll start to lose quality.

I would suggest this sort of unit with a firewire card fitted by you later and more ram if you feel you need it, but not from dell as they are usually expensive for upgrades.
    Any additional drives will need to be SATA as there are no ide connectors in these now.
    Dell update the deals on Thursday so maybe they will have something better then, you just cant tell.
    We need to know too if you want to go with crt monitors as suggested.

305-D01921a - £645
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional SP2 (Incl Operating System Re-installation CD) - English
    Dell™ 19" Value Flat Panel (E197FP) - UK/Irish
    1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x512] Memory
    320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro PCI Express graphics card
    Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
    Microsoft® Works 8 - English

Original Poster

Thanks for your input guys.

I would prefer a TFT monitor, to be honest. I'm not intending to do video work all the time, just every now and then.

I know, it isn't the cheapest way of doing things but I would prefer to get something out of the box rather than adding bits myself. I don't mind paying a bit more if need be.

:lazy:

Dell™ 19" Value Flat Panel (E197FP) - UK/Irish is a TFT

Original Poster

The guy at Dell recommended this build, any comments?

Dimension E520

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)
    Genuine Windows® XP Media Edition (Incl Operating System Re-installation CD) - English
    Basic Package, 3 Year At-Home Service
    Dell™ 19" UltraSharp™ Digital/Analogue Flat Panel (1907FP) - UK/Irish
    2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024] Memory
    320GB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x160GB - 7200rpm)
    16x DVD +/- RW & 16x IDE DVD ROM Drive
    256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro graphics card
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ ADVANCED HD software
    Dell™ AS501 Soundbar for use only with Dell™ UltraSharp™ flat panels
    Dell™ Black Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
    Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Microsoft® Works 8 - English

Total price including Vat and Shipping £870.00.

Obviously I would knock off the 3 year at-home thingie.

Eyestein

The guy at Dell recommended this build, any comments?Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6 … The guy at Dell recommended this build, any comments?Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)Genuine Windows® XP Media Edition (Incl Operating System Re-installation CD) - EnglishBasic Package, 3 Year At-Home ServiceDell™ 19" UltraSharp™ Digital/Analogue Flat Panel (1907FP) - UK/Irish2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024] Memory320GB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x160GB - 7200rpm)16x DVD +/- RW & 16x IDE DVD ROM Drive256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro graphics cardIntegrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ ADVANCED HD softwareDell™ AS501 Soundbar for use only with Dell™ UltraSharp™ flat panelsDell™ Black Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - BlackInternal 13-in-1 Media Card ReaderMicrosoft® Works 8 - EnglishTotal price including Vat and Shipping £870.00.Obviously I would knock off the 3 year at-home thingie.

That's a monster!:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Is it? How long til it is "over the hill"?

:giggle:

Nice spec. But you are being over sold.
    Its like saying you would like a car with a bit of oomph, and them selling you a Porsche (Well quite not that extreme).

You are better off not going above the spec that MikeT suggested

Original Poster

smashed

Nice spec. But you are being over sold.Its like saying you would like a … Nice spec. But you are being over sold.Its like saying you would like a car with a bit of oomph, and them selling you a Porsche (Well quite not that extreme).You are better off not going above the spec that MikeT suggested

To be honest, I gave him a budget of £800-£1000.

Pete1801

...You don't need a "capture card" as such, just a firewire port. Which I … ...You don't need a "capture card" as such, just a firewire port. Which I would HIGHLY recommend. Capturing via firewire direct from camera (miniDV?) to computer will allow you to capture at the highest possible quality. Capturing using a DVD recorder will compress the footage and you'll start to lose quality.

Important: this is only the case if you have a digital camcorder (MiniDV, as Pete says). If, like me, you wanted to transfer recordings from older analogue camcorders, you would either need to capture on a card in the PC or do as you say --- record to DVD recorder, then transfer from disc.

and don't forget quidco...is it 5% for Dell purchases?

Original Poster

Initially, I was looking at the 9200, would a Dimension E520 be better? What's the difference in "dummy" terms? :whistling:

Although, I want to be able to edit and burn some video footage (mainly from old analogue sources) - I'm really looking for an all-round machine which I don't need to upgrade and fiddle with.

Whatever I buy, I'll probably go for a 19" Ultrasharp Flat Panel.

9200 series has more slots and bigger power supply, 9200 is more top end than the E520.
    Specs for both can be seen here:

9200: ]http//ww…hs1

E520:
    ]http//ww…tab

OP.. this is my take.
    If you can get away with a decent PC for £600 (which IMO is good enough) then the other £400 could be spent at source (i.e. a better camcorder, camera etc) which will have a greater impact on your results
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. GAP Insurance Recommendations66
      2. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1622
      3. Best supermarket Disaronno?912
      4. Import charges from USA33

See more discussions