Groups

Help, lots of water coming through the ceiling...

I hope there's still someone awake who can help me...
    I'm in the top flat and there's lots of water coming through the ceiling in different rooms (it's raining a lot outside), can't reach my landlord, and have to empty pots and pans every half an hour or so. What do I do? Who can I call?

38 Comments

Sorry to hear that, have you tried contacting your council emergency line? They will most likely help

Do you have building insurance?

Banned

xmochax

Sorry to hear that, have you tried contacting your council emergency … Sorry to hear that, have you tried contacting your council emergency line? They will most likely help

are you sure the council will help a private landlord?

Keep hounding your landlord and get an emergency roofer out which you'll probably have to pay for if you can't get hold of the landlord,get an invoice for whatever they need to do and once sorted get your landlord to give you the money back,text them to keep them up to date as well

Original Poster

It's a rented flat, so no insurance myself.

The council's emergency flat repair only seems to be for council houses...

If it's a water leak and not rain turn off your mains supply via your stop cock. Run some water to drain the system quickly.

To avoid your ceilings coming down, push a screwdriver in them to allow the water to escape instead of building up.

Watch your electrics, water pooling in your ceilings will probably comes out of your light fittings and can be very dangerous.

Good luck.

Original Poster

stuuuuuuu

Keep hounding your landlord and get an emergency roofer out which you'll … Keep hounding your landlord and get an emergency roofer out which you'll probably have to pay for if you can't get hold of the landlord,get an invoice for whatever they need to do and once sorted get your landlord to give you the money back,text them to keep them up to date as well

I'm trying to call him every few minutes, but always voicemail, guess he's sleeping
    There's already a roofer planned to come in the next few days, so don't know if they'd pay for an emergency one.

Banned

op can you get in the loft and place something to cover the hole or is it a flat roof?

Banned

Gannet

I'm trying to call him every few minutes, but always voicemail, guess … I'm trying to call him every few minutes, but always voicemail, guess he's sleeping :(There's already a roofer planned to come in the next few days, so don't know if they'd pay for an emergency one.

so you already knew there was a problem with the roof?

Original Poster

Tony68k

If it's a water leak and not rain turn off your mains supply via your … If it's a water leak and not rain turn off your mains supply via your stop cock. Run some water to drain the system quickly.To avoid your ceilings coming down, push a screwdriver in them to allow the water to escape instead of building up.Watch your electrics, water pooling in your ceilings will probably comes out of your light fittings and can be very dangerous.Good luck.

Thanks
    It's definitely the rain, only leaks when it rains, and now that a storm is closing in on Stirling, it's getting worse. In one room, the dripping has become a steady stream of water, so there's definitely lots of water escaping

Have switched off all non-essential electrics just in case.

Hopefully rain will stop soon,,,,,

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

op can you get in the loft and place something to cover the hole or is it … op can you get in the loft and place something to cover the hole or is it a flat roof?

Only the landlord has the key to the loft, and can't break through the lock (already tried)

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

so you already knew there was a problem with the roof?

Have reported it several times, but until now it was only dripping in the kitchen and only after more than a day of rain, so I guess my landlord didn't take it serious enough.
    I've got a few things I'd like to tell that guy now...
    Edited by: "Gannet" 9th Jan 2015

Just to clarify then. If there's a lot of water up there the ceiling is in danger of coming in. It might be pooling and then finding a weak point to come through. You could already have a swimming pool above your head! Look for any bulging and make a small hole/s yourself to allow the water to drain. Filling a few small holes is a lot less hassle then recovering from a collapsed ceiling.

Edit: turn your electrics off first!
    Edited by: "Tony68k" 9th Jan 2015

Switch off the lighting circuit/s at the mains, that will isolate any ceiling light fittings.

Call emergency contractor and get them to invoice your landlord job done!

move all electricals away from water and cover them
    your landlord will be liable for any damage to your stuff

keep a torch/phone handy

and know where your main electric cut off is

good luck
    and don't push though any bubbles
    it invalidates Insurance

fawkes99

and don't push though any bubbles it invalidates Insurance

Really? Serious question. I have suggested the opposite as it would mitigate any serious damage from collapsed ceiling. I was definitely recommended to do this following a water leak and it saved my ceiling. Insurance paid out for the limited damage that did occur.

Original Poster

Ok, lights & electricals in affected rooms are switched off, every single pot, container and towel is on the floor, torch and phone in my pocket, bunny rabbit safe on my bed, pictures taken for landlord/insurance/...

Thanks all !!!!!!!
    It's so good to get helpful advice from the community at this time

fawkes99

move all electricals away from water and cover themyour landlord will be … move all electricals away from water and cover themyour landlord will be liable for any damage to your stuffkeep a torch/phone handy and know where your main electric cut off isgood luck and don't push though any bubblesit invalidates Insurance

Any supporting evidence to justify that comment.?

I would suggest popping a few small holes to avoid major damage would be very welcome by the insurers.

Gannet

Ok, lights & electricals in affected rooms are switched off, every single … Ok, lights & electricals in affected rooms are switched off, every single pot, container and towel is on the floor, torch and phone in my pocket, bunny rabbit safe on my bed, pictures taken for landlord/insurance/...Thanks all !!!!!!!It's so good to get helpful advice from the community at this time

It is no good just switching off lights in affected rooms, you need to switch off the lighting circuit at the mains .

Just use table lamps etc. from your socket circuit.

Edited by: "Inactive" 9th Jan 2015

Gannet

Ok, lights & electricals in affected rooms are switched off

If you haven't already, you need to isolate your lighting circuit as advised, turning things off isn't enough. Pull the fuse or trip the appropriate circuit breaker for the lights. Don't go poking holes with a screwdriver if you haven't done this!

Original Poster

Inactive

It is no good just switching off lights in affected rooms, you need to … It is no good just switching off lights in affected rooms, you need to switch off the lighting circuit at the mains .Just use table lamps etc. from your socket circuit.

Ok, done Not very good with this kind of stuff.

Original Poster

http://i58.tinypic.com/29zd9ir.jpg

This is what it looked like before the lights went off.

Gannet

rabbit safe on my bed,

Should help to relieve the stress i suppose. oO

Banned

if you google the subject all the sites say make a hole which is strange if it really does invalidate your insurance

I take it its a private landlord and not through a letting agency etc?
    If its private search if your property is listed on the scottish landlord registration site, if you put in your property details it should come up with your landlords (if hes registered!) details its usually an address but you might get lucky and get an additional phone number to the one you already have! Fingers crossed for you and bunny, its wild out there!

fawkes99

move all electricals away from water and cover themyour landlord will be … move all electricals away from water and cover themyour landlord will be liable for any damage to your stuffkeep a torch/phone handy and know where your main electric cut off isgood luck and don't push though any bubblesit invalidates Insurance

the landlord will only be liable for damage to tenants' property if he can be proved to be negligent. tenants and landlords are expected to have their own insurance for contents so the OP will need to claim under his insurance.

as per some of the comments above

the landlord knew of the problem yet didn't fix it,that would suggest they will try and avoid paying if possible
    this is based on experience
    op hope you get it fixed sharpish weather up here a bit wild for a couple of days

If the landlord doesn't deal with the problem report him to the Council as a landlord letting out an unsuitable/unsafe property

Hope you're ok OP. Fingers crossed its sorted asap x

Gannet

Ok, lights & electricals in affected rooms are switched off, every single … Ok, lights & electricals in affected rooms are switched off, every single pot, container and towel is on the floor, torch and phone in my pocket, bunny rabbit safe on my bed, pictures taken for landlord/insurance/...Thanks all !!!!!!!It's so good to get helpful advice from the community at this time

just take the batteries out of your rabbit and put it back in the bedside table drawer it will be fine

transit

Should help to relieve the stress i suppose. oO

That went right over my head at first ............ brilliant

Original Poster

raptorcigs

just take the batteries out of your rabbit and put it back in the bedside … just take the batteries out of your rabbit and put it back in the bedside table drawer it will be fine

Sometimes I wish he had batteries, he was so scared of the storm that he made quite some noise.

Original Poster

Angel_Of_The_North

Hope you're ok OP. Fingers crossed its sorted asap x

I'm still alive Even got a few hours sleep in the late morning, after having to empty the containers all throughout the night. Landlord says roofer will come today, although not sure if I trust him to actually arrange that.

Thanks again for all the support!

Gannet

Sometimes I wish he had batteries, he was so scared of the storm that he … Sometimes I wish he had batteries, he was so scared of the storm that he made quite some noise.

Hope you are all ok gannet. It was some night here too. Everyone had put their recycle bins out for the binmen in the morning so of course they all blew over and the contents were everywhere. We had to go out in early hours to start lifting it all as we had beer cans and all sorts blowing around hitting our windows and our NEW car. What a night!

lianne21

That went right over my head at first ............ brilliant

http://i.imgur.com/6GYAMoY.gif
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Anyone use a FitBit Surge?23
      2. Iptv813
      3. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?1015
      4. Recommend a free reminder app44

See more discussions