Expired

Help low pressure on cold water tank!

Found 26th Aug 2014
The cold water tank is refilling very slowly. After a person has a a bath its causing no water to come out the bath and basin taps and also water for the toilet flush. Everything downstairs is fine.

Anyone know if this a quick fix or do I need to get a plumber involved.

I do own the property and do have home insurance. Will be 2nd year of ownership in mid sept so not sure how my claim or ncb will be affected during renewal date.

Please advice

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I guess water pressure @ your kitchen tap is ok ?
Oops miss read does your cold tank have a ballcock ?
your insurrance wont cover stuff like this. you prob wont need a plumber.
go to your attic and look at the cold water tank.
is the ball cock working properly? or is it sitting too low and so not letting the tap fill up. eg is the ball full of water? is the tank clear of debris/ dead pigeons etc?

if it isnt opening completely and the tank is slow to fill, you might just need to fiddle around abit with it.

before you start messing around with it, make sure you know where your stop cock is, and check it actually works.
I have no idea about ballcock or stop cock.
Thanks for your advice. Going to do some research and then tomorrow I'll go up the attic.
I'll report back my finding tomorrow...
Anymore advice before then will be greatly appreciated
IMHO The main feeder tank (or cold water tank) should not be filling the toilet tank - the toilet tank is usually a direct feed from the main cold water supply

The main feeder tank should only feed the hot water tank and if you have central heating you might have another smaller feeder tank.

To test if I'm wrong - turn off the main stopcock (it'll be situated (generally) just inside your home where the main water supply comes into the home from outside) - if your toilet does not fill at all (after turning off the stopcock then my assumptions above are correct.

In this instance it could only possibly be either another valve/stopcock (that turns of supply to upstairs) that's getting blocked or low pressure caused by calcium build up within the piping.

If you toilet tank only fills when the main feeder tank is full (or part full) - whoever plumbed your home before....needs shooting

Do you suffer from cloudy (calcium) water? kettles need a lot of descaling? << this would be my first assumption as calcium (scale) build up would restrict the pipe flow eventually.
Hi powerjumps,

Is the pressure low on the hot and cold taps ? And is it ok on cold downstairs but not the hot ?

I'm not a plumber so I could be and often am wrong but the downstairs cold taps, kitchen etc , have to be fed direct from the water main as this water is used in cooking and in drinks etc. The idea I think is that any contamination, dead wildlife that may end up in the loft (header) tank won't cause illness. So the cold water downstairs will be working I think because it's not connected to the tank.

Your question implies that the upstairs taps do work but run out after a short time and then take ages to work again ? This does sound like the header tank isn't filling properly, and this is probably due to the ball valve. There's a diagram of a header tank here - Typical Header tank. The water from the mains comes into the tank on the pipe marked as rising main on the diagram. It goes through a ball valve which uses a plastic ball (which floats) attached to a rod to turn off the incoming water as the level rises and stop the tank overflowing. If you take the lid off your toilet cistern you will see a very similar ball valve system used in there.

If you need work on it, replace it then as fred box says you will need to turn off the water supply using the stop cock make sure you know where it is and how to operate it before you start. You can test it works by turning on a cold tap in the kitchen and closing the stop cock should stop the water in the kitchen.

As fred said your insurance won't cover this. It's all fairly simple stuff but you need to be careful, especially when taking stuff apart and when putting it back together. If you don't do a joint up properly after working on the ball cock for instance you could end up with water being sprayed over your loft and quickly doing a lot of damage.

Have fun, but be careful
RxTx

Hi powerjumps,Is the pressure low on the hot and cold taps ? And is it ok … Hi powerjumps,Is the pressure low on the hot and cold taps ? And is it ok on cold downstairs but not the hot ?I'm not a plumber so I could be and often am wrong but the downstairs cold taps, kitchen etc , have to be fed direct from the water main as this water is used in cooking and in drinks etc. The idea I think is that any contamination, dead wildlife that may end up in the loft (header) tank won't cause illness. So the cold water downstairs will be working I think because it's not connected to the tank. Your question implies that the upstairs taps do work but run out after a short time and then take ages to work again ? This does sound like the header tank isn't filling properly, and this is probably due to the ball valve. There's a diagram of a header tank here - Typical Header tank. The water from the mains comes into the tank on the pipe marked as rising main on the diagram. It goes through a ball valve which uses a plastic ball (which floats) attached to a rod to turn off the incoming water as the level rises and stop the tank overflowing. If you take the lid off your toilet cistern you will see a very similar ball valve system used in there.If you need work on it, replace it then as fred box says you will need to turn off the water supply using the stop cock make sure you know where it is and how to operate it before you start. You can test it works by turning on a cold tap in the kitchen and closing the stop cock should stop the water in the kitchen.As fred said your insurance won't cover this. It's all fairly simple stuff but you need to be careful, especially when taking stuff apart and when putting it back together. If you don't do a joint up properly after working on the ball cock for instance you could end up with water being sprayed over your loft and quickly doing a lot of damage.Have fun, but be careful

All cold water taps are direct from supply - there is no chance that a cold water tap upstairs is fed from the feeder tank unless a previous plumber/builder has broken Building Regulations
philphil61

All cold water taps are direct from supply - there is no chance that a … All cold water taps are direct from supply - there is no chance that a cold water tap upstairs is fed from the feeder tank unless a previous plumber/builder has broken Building Regulations

Hi philphil61,

Like I said I'm no plumber. My house has a en-suite that is entirely fed off of the header tank in the loft. Current regs say that it should be fed from the main but this was installed probably 40 years ago and I've no idea what the regs were then. But it does illustrate that there are installations out there that are fed from tanks.
philphil61

All cold water taps are direct from supply - there is no chance that a … All cold water taps are direct from supply - there is no chance that a cold water tap upstairs is fed from the feeder tank unless a previous plumber/builder has broken Building Regulations

Hi again philphil61,

I've just had a quick online search and it appears that it's not that uncommon for older installations to have the taps fed from tanks. This DEFRA guidance note covers the situation in some detail - Water tanks, storage and fittings
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants