Help Me Build 1080p Gaming PC

Posted 28th Oct
Hi fellow members!

I have already decided on a mini itx case that I like. Want to make it nice and clean with cable management so require a modular PSU.

I have a 1080p AOC AGON 240Hz AG251FZ Monitor.

I would like a system capable of playing latest games at 1080p 60fps or higher in high - ultra settings.

What sort of hardware components I’m I looking for?

i was thinking could I possibly get away using older i5 CPU? Better going second hand market?

budget ~ £600-£700, lower even better.
i already have keyboard and mouse and Windows 10 Pro. Will be using Xbox controller.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
You'll pay more for mini itx...especially motherboards. Also can the case take regular atx size power supplies and what dimensions gfx card can the case handle?
The case is NZXT H200i
A big mid-tower case like that shouldn't have any fit or cooling issues you might have encountered were you going Mini-ITX to build a small system.It's really just a case of selecting the fastest components for the price.

You probably don't want to skimp on the CPU if you're going after maximum frame rates at a limited resolution as high FPS can easily be CPU limited.
PCPartPicker Part List: uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…WDx

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£123.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£113.55 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card (£248.92 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II EVO 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £659.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-28 16:34 GMT+0000
forgot to say, I suggest you get m-atx case instead.
I thought it was all about the gpu nowdays - I went for the best motherboard I could afford at the time (asus rog strix z370 gaming f) and the cheapest cpu that will go in it - i3 8100 - meaning that when the current 1151 cpus go down in price I'll be able to upgrade to a 9900k or something like that. Im not saying go for this motherboard as its pretty old now but go for the best motherboard you can afford and work from there.

I always do this and the 8100 is absolutely fine for anything you can throw at it @ 1080p. If you arent looking for vr then most games will run with something like my gtx 760 but if you want to be hitting recommended specs on things like anthem then Id probably go for a gtx 1060 or above. 8gb of ram minimum at the highest clock speed you can get without breaking the bank and definitely get an SSD - the bigger the better - or even split it and have an m.2 nvme for your os and a normal ssd for apps and games etc.

Should be able to get all that new for well under 600
Cisco06060628/10/2019 16:46

forgot to say, I suggest you get m-atx case instead.

How about corsair icue 220t rgb case?
EndlessWaves28/10/2019 16:35

A big mid-tower case like that shouldn't have any fit or cooling issues …A big mid-tower case like that shouldn't have any fit or cooling issues you might have encountered were you going Mini-ITX to build a small system.It's really just a case of selecting the fastest components for the price.You probably don't want to skimp on the CPU if you're going after maximum frame rates at a limited resolution as high FPS can easily be CPU limited.

Was thinking if small build hence its case. However I can change to this case corsair icue 220t rgb.
Personally dislike LED fan as I occasionally leave PC on at night.
But it is your choice at the end of the day.

Fractal Design Define Mini C
novatech.co.uk/pro…BwE
So 1660 ti
8GB or 16GB for RAM
I know this is probably stupid but cant you do this using any graphics card with hdmi out? If 1080p is all you require.
shaydoken28/10/2019 17:16

Was thinking if small build hence its case. However I can change to this …Was thinking if small build hence its case. However I can change to this case corsair icue 220t rgb.

The NZXT H200i's 35cm x 37cm x 21cm is a standard mid-tower. For comparison Dell's bog standard Inspiron Desktop is 30cm x 37cm x 16cm.

That case likely uses a more limited capability motherboard but to allow space for bulky components like extra long graphics cards and large water cooling radiators.

If you're happy with that sort of size then go for it, I'm just pointing out that Mini-ITX doesn't automatically mean a small case.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 28th Oct
What cooling system will you be using? Check the dimensions of your cooler and PSU against your case to make sure you have enough room i.e.

My setup includes:
Intel Devils Canyon CPU
Gigabyte Z97 SLi MB
Phanteks ph-tc14pe cooler
Dual Evga Classified SLi
Superflower leadex gold 850w
16gb RAM

All this is housed in one of the first NZXT cases - NZXT Zero (Dimensions W x H x D) 210.5 X 532 X 520 mm.

I've had this case since it was first released many years ago. It's a big beast of a tower and there's just enough space with good air flow.

I had to mod the case a bit the last time I upgraded (take a top case fan out and change the side panel fans) for everything to fit. The PSU fits nicely and there's just enough room for the cooler and dual GPU. The graphics almost go the full length of the case, right up to the hard drive bays.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants