Help me choose a "budget" projector?

Posted 7th Mar
Hi guys

I'm after a "budget" 1080p projector.

Tldr: bought Chinese projector, good image but bad screen tearing. Anyone recommend one between 200-400?

Bought an elephas q9 (£199) and while the image is great, there is a ridiculous amount of screen tear in fast paced scenes. I've returned it as even when trying different devices (pc through hdmi, chromecast 4k,ps4) it always had the same issue, therefore I'm guessing it's framerate isn't really 60fps as advertised ( I know, Chinese model and all that).

I'm after something which has good bulb life (leds have amazing life?) and around the 200-400 Mark. 1080p native if possible.

I know going for good brands such as Epson etc is recommended, but I'm struggling to see stuff which is LED and most known brands only offer old school bulbs with not much life in them.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
I used to get 3000 hours on projectors with normal bulbs watching films for hours at a time. Problem is usually the replacement is almost as much as a new projector!
I was looking at this one the other day, but I don’t know anything about projectors

I just want a cheap one to attach my iPhone to

TOPVISION Mini Projector 4500 Lumens Support 1080P Full HD, Max 200" Display and 60000 Hours LED Life Portable Projector, Compatible with PS4/HDMI/VGA/AV/USB for Home Cinema, Party and Games amazon.co.uk/dp/…TFA
Mendoza07/03/2020 13:32

I was looking at this one the other day, but I don’t know anything about p …I was looking at this one the other day, but I don’t know anything about projectors I just want a cheap one to attach my iPhone to TOPVISION Mini Projector 4500 Lumens Support 1080P Full HD, Max 200" Display and 60000 Hours LED Life Portable Projector, Compatible with PS4/HDMI/VGA/AV/USB for Home Cinema, Party and Games https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PSL1TVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oh6yEbMDWDTFA

The one you sent supports 1080p but isn't 1080p.

After researching Chinese ones quite a lot, they play on words in a pretty cheeky way.

Look for native instead of supports. If it says "supports 1080p" it means it can get a 1080p signal in but converts it to whatever lower resolution the projector is. Also, watch out for refresh rates. I got stung as it looks very bad with screen tearing. Think it'll be easier to buy a well known brand
InetUID07/03/2020 12:45

I used to get 3000 hours on projectors with normal bulbs watching films …I used to get 3000 hours on projectors with normal bulbs watching films for hours at a time. Problem is usually the replacement is almost as much as a new projector!

Yeah that's what I'm kinda scared about.the LED ones seem to last 40k hours, but I can't see any "well known" brands with LEDs
Projector bulbs are to projectors what printer ink is to . . . . . . . . . . .
I have had a optoma hd33 for just over 6 years I bought it originaly as a certified optoma refurb. Its a amazing projector, and on ebay you can pick up used verisions for within your budget. I highly recommend buying one of those. If I use my one later this week I will send you over a couple of pictures of its performance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants