Groups
    EXPIRED

help me choose a tv for my playstation 3

hey

i want to purchase a hdtv for my playstation 3 but i dont no which one as im on a tight budget i can get the Samsung SM225MW 22in HD Ready LCD TV/Monitor from argos for £299 argos.co.uk/sta…htm or i can go big and get a ORION TV-32082 32" HD Ready LCD TV from dixons for the same price £299.99 dixons.co.uk/mar…jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0243037194.1193133764@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdfaddmgeehemmcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=653393&category_oid=-21226 the samsung has more pixels but a lower contrast ratio than the orion so i have to choose the samsung which has more pixels or go big and get the orion it would be nice to have the big tv but would it effect the quality of the graphics on my playstation 3

37 Comments

Original Poster

anybody ? i need to buy before the 25th as its then my kids birthday

the ebuyer hanspree one is a good deal, 32" for 299.99 looks better than that orion one

If you get a 22" you'll want to upgrade to a bigger screen after awhile.
    I was debating whether to get a 26 or 32, I got a 26 but i want the 32 now.

I would avoid the hanspree there is a big thread about people having problems with them over at the AVFORUMS.

Its best to save up alittle more and get a named brand TV.It will be much better in the long run

Banned

Go with the better resolution 22" from Argos, Samsung are a better make also. Keep in mind the games are going to demand greater graphic needs in the near future once blue ray really takes off and the better resolution will pay dividends.

You will probably want a larger screen once youv've paid out, but it depends on your own preferences.

Dont forget the Phillips 26" for the same price at PCWorld/Dixons/Currys

I'd rather get a samsung than an orion if it comes to that, will post links l8r if I come across any good deals..

Original Poster

thanks all keep posting please still unsure i would want to get it from a shop not the internet i've never trusted it

Original Poster

UltimoScorpion

Go with the better resolution 22" from Argos, Samsung are a better make … Go with the better resolution 22" from Argos, Samsung are a better make also. Keep in mind the games are going to demand greater graphic needs in the near future once blue ray really takes off and the better resolution will pay dividends. You will probably want a larger screen once youv've paid out, but it depends on your own preferences. Dont forget the Phillips 26" for the same price at PCWorld/Dixons/Currys

where is the phillips 26" can not find it

Original Poster

i would just like to say i would also go up to £350 if i had to

Original Poster

would it effect the quality of how the ps3 graphics look

Banned

Sorry, its with Richer Sounds

richersounds.co.uk/sho…321

They have an 26" LG for the same price too

Original Poster

what makes this tv better than the orion ? it has the same amount of pixels and the same contrast ration its just the name also orion make most of sharps smaller tv's

Banned

No real difference, just a mid range between the 22" and the 32", same qualities as the Orion, but you dont have to have such a small screen as a 22" Best of both worlds

If you go for a TV with this resolution (like the Orion or Philips) you will only be able to get a 720p/1080i picture from it.

For the money you are talking about you would be better off going for the TV in my opinion as you will have a bigger screen that is still capable of 720p (arguebly better than 1080i). Obviously the PS3 can output in 1080p which is the highest quality image but unachievable on your budget.

Unless you plump for one of the cheaper 24 inch monitors (£310-£350) which are capable of 1080p but will slightly stretch the image due to the fact that all monitors display a 16:10 aspect ratio (your PS3 will output a 16:9 ratio).

Have a look at this thread which talks about 24"s in some depth (namely the Dell 24"s):

hotukdeals.com/for…376

Original Poster

i would pay that much for 1080p will it look **** if its stretched

Well it wont look that bad but you will still be able to tell that the image is being stretched. Dont get me wrong, you will still be able to get an incredible picture from even the 22 inchers out there but there will always be that small lack of quality when compared to true 1080p at 16:9.

Also you may want to think about a monitor with an HDMI input as that is the preferable connection for the PS3. The Dell I was on about in the thread I linked to doesnt have HDMI. If you want HDMI have a look at the BenQ FP241W (£440 from ebuyer) although you could just buy a HDMI to DVI adaptor and still get the Dell.

Original Poster

i can only go to 350 400 at the very max so what would look better the 16:10 monitor without hdmi or the 720p tv

To be honest the HDMI doesnt really matter as you can buy a HDMI to DVI adapter anyway. So the PS3 will still be outputting from the HDMI port and there will be no loss of signal quality going into the DVI on the monitor.

If you can go to £400 then go for the Dell 2407WFP. The newest model is the 2407WFP-HC but there are issues with ghosting with that model. If you can, try and get the older model -the 2407WFP- as that is better for ghosting (make sure you get the A04 revision). Read that thread I linked to, its all in there :thumbsup:

Besides, if you arent satisfied with what you get you can always return it and try a different model!

Original Poster

boomboom

Well it wont look that bad but you will still be able to tell that the … Well it wont look that bad but you will still be able to tell that the image is being stretched. Dont get me wrong, you will still be able to get an incredible picture from even the 22 inchers out there but there will always be that small lack of quality when compared to true 1080p at 16:9.Also you may want to think about a monitor with an HDMI input as that is the preferable connection for the PS3. The Dell I was on about in the thread I linked to doesnt have HDMI. If you want HDMI have a look at the BenQ FP241W (£440 from ebuyer) although you could just buy a HDMI to DVI adaptor and still get the Dell.

i suppose i could efford this if it played the ps3 in 1080p and does it look just as good as on a 1080p tv

one more thing would i have to buy anything to make it play the ps3

I have just purchased samsung LE26R87BD from costco for £411 its a very good tv. My budget was going to be £300 as well but for £100 more it was worth getting the samsung. Can be purchased slightly cheaper but comes with a 3 year warranty

What connections do you get with a PS3? I dont have one so I dont know. The Dell monitor wont do 1080p through component but will do it through VGA and DVI. You may need a HDMI to DVI cable in order to get the full 1080p, but you can get these pretty cheap so it wont add much to your budget.

Original Poster

boomboom

What connections do you get with a PS3? I dont have one so I dont know. … What connections do you get with a PS3? I dont have one so I dont know. The Dell monitor wont do 1080p through component but will do it through VGA and DVI. You may need a HDMI to DVI cable in order to get the full 1080p, but you can get these pretty cheap so it wont add much to your budget.

i recently bought a hdmi cable so thats why i was going to get the benQ will i need to buy anything to get 1080p out of that also is it 16:9 one other thing is 1080p from a monitor the same greatness from a tv

Original Poster

are you still able to watch blu ray through monitors ?

is there any 1080p tvs under £500

newcastlejoe

i recently bought a hdmi cable so thats why i was going to get the benQ … i recently bought a hdmi cable so thats why i was going to get the benQ will i need to buy anything to get 1080p out of that also is it 16:9 one other thing is 1080p from a monitor the same greatness from a tv

The BenQ supports 1:1 pixel mapping to my knowledge so, yes, it will display 16:9. You may just want to double check that before you go ahead and buy it though.

newcastlejoe

are you still able to watch blu ray through monitors?

Yep, theres no difference as to what media you are using

newcastlejoe

is there any 1080p tvs under £500

Dont know. Do a search. You need to find a TV with a resolution of 1920x1080.

newcastlejoe

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...l& tabIndex=1is this 1080p

It will accept a 1080p signal but will stretch the vertical image slightly as it does not support 1:1 pixel mapping. At least I dont think it does, at that price it probably doesnt.

Original Poster

rang up oyyy.co.uk and they said it does have 1:1 pixel mapping,the first batch of the monitor was suppose to but it didnt but they updated the firmware now they do and if for some reason i get one that isnt 1:1 then i send it to benQ and they will fix it for me

thanks for your help boomboom:thumbsup:

just need to no if 1080p from a monitor is just as good as 1080p from a t.v also it says no speakers so how do i get sound from it because i dont want to play a ps3 with no sound

Ahh yes, forgot about that. You will need a sound system for it. Thats entirely up to you though, you could go for a little 2.1 system for around £10 or a full blown 7.1 cinema set up in the £100s. Im guessing your spent out with the monitor so the first option is probably the best!!

1080p from a monitor will be just as good as from a TV of the same size. It you were buying a 40" 1080p TV then you would see a difference because of the increased size but that has nothing to do with quality, just size. Something to do with the human eyes ability to discern quality from distances. But we dont want to get into that as that all sounds very complicated!!

Original Poster

yes sounds to complicated
    my son will be close to the t.v anyaway so will it look really good close up
    i already have a sound system that works with a ps3 but that is a scart at the end how am i meant to plug that into the monitor and would i be able to use that at the same time im using the hdmi cable

Original Poster

one more thing is 1:1 pixel mapping the same as 16:9

i have a ps3 connected to a dell monitor. I bought a dvi to hdmi cable to connect them together. for sound i have my logitech speakers (using optical).

you can connect the ps3 to the monitor and use scart/composite for sound (just set it up in ps3 setting)

if you plan on using the monitor for pc, i would go for monitor. if not just go for a normal tv. im using mine for my pc as well and i like my high resolution.I would have bought the dell 30" one if i can play my ps3 on that!

hope that helps

got the hanspree from ebuyer £299 and it is great, just got one yesterday and i am not dissapointed in the slightest, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference in quality between this and a 1080i 32" sony,samsung etc etc.

newcastlejoe

one more thing is 1:1 pixel mapping the same as 16:9

1:1 pixel mapping means that the monitor (which is 16:10 natively) will be able to display 16:9 no problem. You will have little black bars at the top and bottom of your display if it is displaying in 16:9. A monitor without 1:1 mapping will have to stretch the 16:9 ever so slightly to fit the 16:10 native resolution.

Original Poster

coke_dude

i have a ps3 connected to a dell monitor. I bought a dvi to hdmi cable to … i have a ps3 connected to a dell monitor. I bought a dvi to hdmi cable to connect them together. for sound i have my logitech speakers (using optical).you can connect the ps3 to the monitor and use scart/composite for sound (just set it up in ps3 setting) if you plan on using the monitor for pc, i would go for monitor. if not just go for a normal tv. im using mine for my pc as well and i like my high resolution.I would have bought the dell 30" one if i can play my ps3 on that!hope that helps

do you mean get a scart to composite adapter
    where from?
    how much?

Original Poster

boomboom

1:1 pixel mapping means that the monitor (which is 16:10 natively) will … 1:1 pixel mapping means that the monitor (which is 16:10 natively) will be able to display 16:9 no problem. You will have little black bars at the top and bottom of your display if it is displaying in 16:9. A monitor without 1:1 mapping will have to stretch the 16:9 ever so slightly to fit the 16:10 native resolution.

cheers boom boom:-D

Original Poster

thanks all decided to get the tv posted above as it is 720p and i dont have to get anything to make it produce sound

saves a lot of time and a lot of money

Original Poster

thanks boomboom you have been great
    not forgetting the rest :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Valspar paint11
      2. Private Number Plate11
      3. Raspberry pi as router for vpn24
      4. Xbox One Ex HDD Help11