Expired

help me choose an SLR: nikon d80/d40 -- canon 450d/1000d -- sony a200/a350

Found 13th Nov 2008
sony a200 18-70mm : £212 (after cashback-amazon)
nikon d40 18-55mm : £240 (amazon)
canon 1000d 18-55mm: £270(after cashback-dixons at airport)
nikon d80 18-55mm : £282 (store ex-display)
sony a350 18-70mm : £330 (after cashback-play)
canon 450d 18-55mm : £360 (after cashback-dixons at airport)

im leaning towards the a350 and 450d just beause they both have LIVEVIEW function but then since its gonna be my first SLR im thinking that i should maybe go for a cheap one then upgrade in a few years... oh yeah i like the screen that pops out and rotates up and down on the a350!

if you know about them please advise me

thanks

11 Comments

Only use cannons at our studio, swear by them - heard good things about the 450D

Nikon D80, always been very impressed by Nikons and thats a superb price.

I'm in the same boat, was thinking about the a200 but would prefer to have liveview.

i have a d80 and love it to bits, its nice and heavy meaning it gives you more stability when hand holding, i have a 18-135mm lens for sale soon if you get one, drop me a line.

Original Poster

airey;3454117

I'm in the same boat, was thinking about the a200 but would prefer to … I'm in the same boat, was thinking about the a200 but would prefer to have liveview.

yeah it would definitely be great to have liveview isnt it? so the cheapest one with liveview is the 1000d then. whats the main differene between the 450d and 100d anyway?
1000d : 10mp / 7 AF points / 2" screen / 3fps / hasnt got it?
450d : 12mp / 9 AF points / 2.5" screen / 3.5fps / Self Cleaning Sensor Unit

]here is the canon comparison list

by coincidence I have just been reading "digital slr photography" mag which has a section covering this, what it basically says is that you wont go wrong with any of these, so its down to budget - remeber you can put saving towards another lens, or a particular feature that you want. I dont think you will get a dud buying any of these.

450 is lovely regarding function, use and final pictures. its most expensive of bunch and i cant compare except to a 400d but i think it gives me great value for money.

flickr has some samples for you to look at for each model you are looking for to give you some ideas about quality
flickr.com/cam…as/

Hi,

where do I get

Nikon d80 18-55mm : £282 (store ex-display).. ..

cheers

Ajay:-D

I would go for the D80 as it basically a reduced specification D200. It is compatible with older Nikon AF lenses too as it has an AF motor in the body unlike the cheaper Nikon dSLRs. The viewfinder is also the best of the cameras you have listed!

Here is a good review:

dpreview.com/rev…80/

KITTYBOTS;3476851

I would go for the D80 as it basically a reduced specification D200. It … I would go for the D80 as it basically a reduced specification D200. It is compatible with older Nikon AF lenses too as it has an AF motor in the body unlike the cheaper Nikon dSLRs. The viewfinder is also the best of the cameras you have listed!Here is a good review:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

Go to [url]www.kenrockwell.com[/url] for impartial review. Suggests that D80 is not worth extra cash vs D40. Use money saved for better lense.

Also highly rates Canon 400d

bobafett;3487907

Go to ]www.kenrockwell.com for impartial review. Suggests that D80 is … Go to ]www.kenrockwell.com for impartial review. Suggests that D80 is not worth extra cash vs D40. Use money saved for better lense.Also highly rates Canon 400d

Except the D40/D40X/D60 are only limited to autofocusing with the newer(and more expensive) AFS lenses. The D80 can autofocus with almost all of the Nikon AF lenses made for their film cameras since the late 1980s! This means there are more lenses to choose from. If you do not want autofocus with older AF lenses the D40/D40x/D60 will be good enough though. The D80 also has a larger viewfinder too which is important as these are NOT liveview dSLRs and hence the viewfinder is the only way to compose the subject. The D80 also has a better resale value too.
Ken Rockwell was stating that the D40 was a better choice than the D80 only when both were compared at RRP and the D80 was TWICE the price of the D40 and not at only a £42 difference.He even states that the sensor,viewfinder and LCD are the same as the semi-pro D200 dSLR. The autofocus on the D80 is also far more advanced too(11 AF senors vs 3 AF sensors in the D40). This means faster autofocusing with faster moving objects and in low light.
Post a comment
@
    Text