Expired

help me format hdd

Banned 18 replies
Found 28th Jul 2009
got to wipe the hdd before its return, i followed the instructions via hp site and getting nowhere fast, didnt do back up discs, its a hp550

18 Comments

computer > right click on the hard drive > click restore drive defaults & format

Have you tried pressing F11 when it starts up? It should allow you to do a factory restore

webtechgeek.com/How…htm
Best off to do it from dos, if you want to wipe your windows drive, there is a instruction on that link .

is it just a slave drive? or external?

Original Poster Banned

it says on hp to press f8, and that does nohing

Original Poster Banned

phatboy, i have no idea it just sayd before returning laptop i have to wipe the hard drive

You'll need a Boot CD with all the gubbins on , I use a one with loads of utilities on it to wipe the drive , check the drive etc .The best ones were a floppy Boot disk , with FDisk on etc , but you cannot buy anything with a floppy drive nowadays . I tend to take the drive out of the laptop and add it to a PC as a slave . You should be aware that even just by formatting a HDD someone could still retrieve the data . I use a program , there are many that will bring all files back from a drive . So, for this reason alone it's best to use a program that overwrites the drive with 1's & 0's again and again .

To initiate a recovery in Windows, follow these steps:
1. Back up all personal files.
2. Select Start > All Programs > HP Backup & Recovery > HP Backup and Recovery Manager.
3. Click Next.
4. Click Recover important files or the entire system, and then click Next.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Original Poster Banned

ricko;5872551

You'll need a Boot CD with all the gubbins on , I use a one with loads … You'll need a Boot CD with all the gubbins on , I use a one with loads of utilities on it to wipe the drive , check the drive etc .The best ones were a floppy Boot disk , with FDisk on etc , but you cannot buy anything with a floppy drive nowadays . I tend to take the drive out of the laptop and add it to a PC as a slave . You should be aware that even just by formatting a HDD someone could still retrieve the data . I use a program , there are many that will bring all files back from a drive . So, for this reason alone it's best to use a program that overwrites the drive with 1's & 0's again and again .

i only just about know how to turn a lappy on and off, all i need to do is make it what it was before i had it, it is faulty and being returned

Original Poster Banned

tonyg1962;5872586

To initiate a recovery in Windows, follow these steps:1. Back up all … To initiate a recovery in Windows, follow these steps:1. Back up all personal files.2. Select Start > All Programs > HP Backup & Recovery > HP Backup and Recovery Manager.3. Click Next.4. Click Recover important files or the entire system, and then click Next.5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

i would if it was there

Initiating a recovery from the hard drive recovery partition
To initiate a recovery from the hard drive recovery partition, follow these steps:
1. Back up all personal files.
2. Restart the computer, and then press f8 before the Windows operating system loads.
3. Click a recovery option, and then click Next.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Original Poster Banned

tonyg1962;5872612

Initiating a recovery from the hard drive recovery partitionTo initiate a … Initiating a recovery from the hard drive recovery partitionTo initiate a recovery from the hard drive recovery partition, follow these steps:1. Back up all personal files.2. Restart the computer, and then press f8 before the Windows operating system loads.3. Click a recovery option, and then click Next.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

neither is that option, i have read through hp and cannot do either of what you have said (f8 does nothing)

sassie;5872628

neither is that option, i have read through hp and cannot do either of … neither is that option, i have read through hp and cannot do either of what you have said (f8 does nothing)

The 'press F8' is a bit misleading .......you have to actually keep 'tapping F8' about once a second while the PC is booting up to get into the menu options. :thumbsup:

sassie;5872628

neither is that option, i have read through hp and cannot do either of … neither is that option, i have read through hp and cannot do either of what you have said

It looks like you dont have a recovery option then,if you are just returning it because it is faulty i would just delete anything you dont want them to see and return it as is,In internet explorer go to tools (top right) internet options,where it says browsing history click "delete" ,tick everything but the top one and click delete,

As the other say restart and keep tapping F8 until windows loads just to be sure,

Another vote for just keeping tapping F8 - Windows 2000 used to give you a good chance at pressing F8 but not so much on XP/Vista, if you don't keep tapping it after the machine powers on you'll miss it. Even if there is no recovery partition it will still bring up a boot menu.

John

either press F8 when turning on your PC to get this screen:
http://support.pcworld.co.uk/Images/articles/%7B4ecfc688-9e8a-4bf0-b511-8ca7f6df2eba%7D/f8options.jpg And choose repair your computer then follow the instructions.

If this doesn't work then tap F10 or F11 to access the 'hidden' recovery partition on your Hard drive to restore your PC back to factory settings.

Note: If none of the above work then you will have to use recovery discs.......
:-D

Original Poster Banned

Mecoconuts;5872655

The 'press F8' is a bit misleading .......you have to actually keep … The 'press F8' is a bit misleading .......you have to actually keep 'tapping F8' about once a second while the PC is booting up to get into the menu options. :thumbsup:

thank you, i was just pressing it and holding it, managed to get in and all done, so thanks, and tahnks to everyone else xxxx

Formatting your drive wont get rid of the data it will still be recoverable, you need something like Killdisk to wipe it correctly

killdisk.com/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2336
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…1935
    3. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland22
    4. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2688

See more discussions