Help me pick a budget smartphone

Posted 7th Nov
Afternoon folks

I am looking to buy my 11 yearold daughter her 1st phone this Xmas but i dont want to spend a fortune on it, im looking at a budget 0f around the £100 mark, ive lokked at the samsung a20e but im unsure if this is a good buy, any recomenedations would be great.

Thanks
Stephen
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
I would just keep an eye out for secondhand phones on here tbh. Personally I would grab this from O2, has just come back in stock and only £69. Bargain at that price for a “like new” handset with 3gb RAM etc.
You should ask your daughter first in case she wants iPhone, she might be happier with an older iPhone 7 than a new cheap android phone. I know my kids would prefer a £100 iPhone over a £1000 flagship new Samsung.
Make sure whatever you get has cheap screens ! I think even with screen protectors kids seem to find a way to break them.
toonsquirel07/11/2019 15:24

You should ask your daughter first in case she wants iPhone, she might be …You should ask your daughter first in case she wants iPhone, she might be happier with an older iPhone 7 than a new cheap android phone. I know my kids would prefer a £100 iPhone over a £1000 flagship new Samsung.

If true that's pretty sad.
Thanks for the replies guy's, id rather get her a brand new phone than a second hand iphone, her friends are mostly android phones with a few having iphones but everyone uses whatsapp so it's no issue at all.
There are just so many phones around this price point that i want to get the best one i can
depends if you want her to just be able to call or text in an emergency with £10 credit or whether you want her to be able to use snapchat 24/7
ScubaDudes07/11/2019 15:38

Why? If anything it shows that they prefer something that’s easy to use like an iPhone instead of been greedy and just wanting the expensive phone but horrible to use like android?
ScubaDudes07/11/2019 15:38

Spoken like a true apple hater, it’s not sad at all, just realistic, not everyone wants an Android phone, and kids will more than likely follow what they have had and seen in the past with families and friends. At 11 kids know what they want and sadly even in junior school kids have much more expensive phones than you could every imagine. Right or wrong it’s simply the way of the world.
eslick07/11/2019 16:55

Spoken like a true apple hater, it’s not sad at all, just realistic, not e …Spoken like a true apple hater, it’s not sad at all, just realistic, not everyone wants an Android phone, and kids will more than likely follow what they have had and seen in the past with families and friends. At 11 kids know what they want and sadly even in junior school kids have much more expensive phones than you could every imagine. Right or wrong it’s simply the way of the world.

I'm not an Apple hater but I'd rather have a £1000 Samsung than a £100 half dead iPhone just for the logo.
toonsquirel07/11/2019 15:59

Why? If anything it shows that they prefer something that’s easy to use l …Why? If anything it shows that they prefer something that’s easy to use like an iPhone instead of been greedy and just wanting the expensive phone but horrible to use like android?

You know a £100 iPhone will be barely functional and they'll be tied to a charger.
I appreciate all the replies folks but 9 comments ,with most of them all about apple vs andrioid and the only one reccomendation, i dont care about apple v android, my 11 yearold daughter will be more than happy with a decent android new phone around my budget, as long as she can snapchat, whatsapp, watch youtube take some pics call and text her friends and play the odd non resource taxing game she will be more than happy.
I plan on getting her a cheap sim only deal for the phone.

Thanks
Stephen
Follow MrSwitch and you won't go wrong. He's a really knowledgeable and helpful contributor to these boards.
ScubaDudes07/11/2019 17:09

You know a £100 iPhone will be barely functional and they'll be tied to a …You know a £100 iPhone will be barely functional and they'll be tied to a charger.

Both my kids have iPhone 7s they’ve had them since new and both run super fast still and had batteries changed so perfect. They’d rather keep those than a new s10 but they’d obviously like newer iPhones they just like using them and both have liked Apple over android since really young age well before they would have any understanding about what Apple are like as a brand, they just enjoy using them.
Go to LaptopsDirect or SmartFone Store
I’m getting my son a iphone se for Xmas I have the 7 but I want to keep that for a while yet and the se still has the latest update, should be able to pick up the se quite cheap as well!
Tobydeals got Moto g7 power for £124

Good specification and long lasting battery
Argos eBay refurb, 12 months warranty, code PICKME5 extra 5% off. I've had TV's / laptops / phones all were brand new
ebaystores.co.uk/Arg…355
I recommend you get it from CeX as they offer 24 months warranty on all phones - no other store matches that.

Of course it doesn't cover broken screens/accidental damage.
New phone? Under £100? High Street retailer (any problems just walk in). Huawei Y6 from Three. Huawei phones are great. Really easy to use. It's got a good size screen (which is probably too big to go on a pocket - but that's a good thing. She'll have too carry it and if it's not on her pocket she's less likely to sit on it. Decent specs too.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 7th Nov
Motorola G7 Power. Loads of battery life and very tough
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants