Groups

Help me please!?

Haviing probs with my comp.

Basically, my CD-Roms aren't being picked up. I have 1 CD-RW & 1 DVD-RW. They are nowhere to be seen in My Computer :?

Scanning for hardware changes doesn't pick them up. Any advice? I want to try and avoid restoring my comp to factory settings...
    Any help appreciated!:thumbsup:

20 Comments

Are you running xp or vista ?

Do they show in Device Manager?

Original Poster

XP Media Centre Edition

not shown in Device Manager.

Im hoping its not the cables...

Can the PC see them when it boots up.

Original Poster

stora

Can the PC see them when it boots up.

I dunno...:? I'll reboot now and let ya know!

If it's the cables you're fine, hope it's not the motherboard. :thumbsup:

Syzable

If it's the cables you're fine, hope it's not the motherboard. :thumbsup:

One step at a time. We are far from that yet

Original Poster

Ummm...done a reboot, not too sure tho.
    I think it picked up one of them :?

Im just gonna uninstall Nero, and Alcohol 120% see if that makes any difference. I did change a jumper on one of them to Master, so they are both on Master

stora

One step at a time. We are far from that yet

True. But just pointing out that cables would be a good fault.

I had this problem,it was before my motherboard conked out,

birdyboyuk

Ummm...done a reboot, not too sure tho.I think it picked up one of them … Ummm...done a reboot, not too sure tho.I think it picked up one of them :? Im just gonna uninstall Nero, and Alcohol 120% see if that makes any difference. I did change a jumper on one of them to Master, so they are both on Master

You need to set one of them to slave. :thumbsup:

birdyboyuk

Ummm...done a reboot, not too sure tho.I think it picked up one of them … Ummm...done a reboot, not too sure tho.I think it picked up one of them :? Im just gonna uninstall Nero, and Alcohol 120% see if that makes any difference. I did change a jumper on one of them to Master, so they are both on Master

If they where working before and suddenly stopped working, why are you messing about with jumper settings ?Or did you change the jumpers and the the PC stopped seeing them. ?

BTW don't uninstall anything yet. I need to know what you have done and then I will be able to sort it out with the least bit of trouble.

Original Poster

They stopped working before I changed the jumper. Im not sure if it could be to do with software, like Nero & Alcohol as they have that RAID thing or SATA thingummyjig...:?
    I will change the jumper back now, reboot, see if that has any effect

birdyboyuk

I did change a jumper on one of them to Master, so they are both on Master

Thats your problem then, You need to have one set as master and the other as slave.

I have had dvd's that throw a wobbler (technical term) and have cured them by shuting down. removing the ribbon but not the power, then boot up as normal. Then power down and re-seat the ribbon.

Original Poster

Ok, now my comp ain't workin. :-( (on lappy)

NTLDR is missing...

I've swapped leads around, seems could be motherboard??

someone speak to me on MSN!

Original Poster

Ok. My comp is back!!! Now to sort out the cd drives!:x (wrong boot sequence in BIOS, dont ask me how! lol)

Original Poster

Weyhey!! All sorted....have no clue as to what went wrong, but its all sorted! Thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:

birdyboyuk

Weyhey!! All sorted....have no clue as to what went wrong, but its all … Weyhey!! All sorted....have no clue as to what went wrong, but its all sorted! Thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:

Excellent news. :thumbsup: Sorted!

good stuff, maybe messing up the jumper settings work the offending drive up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened44
      2. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD511
      3. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?45
      4. Pet lifetime insurance advice needed11

See more discussions