Groups

Help me - the battle is almost upon me

Some people may know.. My electricity usage has been unusually high - no idea why..

Had electrics checked so we now know nobody next door or anything is hooked in.

British Gas have installed another metre along side our one, to check if our metre is the problem.. They're leaving it for 2 weeks

I'd like some people to help me how to read it..

Image below - Left hand metre is the british gas one - right hand one is the one i already have.

The rate showing on my metre is the total kWh usage - so i can read that fine.

The left hand one.. Reading 325.0 - does that mean 325 Watts? or 3kWh + 25 Watts.. I can't figure it out.. Little worried if it is 3kWh + 24 watts, as it was only installed at 3.30pm!.

Cheers

21 Comments

Original Poster

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vnj69x.jpg

I can't help with your question, but why don't you get one of those clip on things that tell you how much you're using at the current time, I can tell if the kids have their lights on, mine is super! (It was a freebie from BG - if I find the link I'll post it...)

Original Poster

Penny Saver;7796763

I can't help with your question, but why don't you get one of those clip … I can't help with your question, but why don't you get one of those clip on things that tell you how much you're using at the current time, I can tell if the kids have their lights on, mine is super! (It was a freebie from BG - if I find the link I'll post it...)

I did a test - we left the house from Friday - Sunday .. Visit to family time to exactly 48 hours. Give or take an hour.

Only thing we had left on / plugged in the house was the fridge and freezer.. Both use (as stated by label) just under 1kWh per day.

So we should of used just under 4kWh for the time we were away.. We used 7-8kWh while we were away according to the metre.

So i know something is up - i just wanna read the metre theyve put in so i can confirm it for defo.

Penny Saver;7796763

I can't help with your question, but why don't you get one of those clip … I can't help with your question, but why don't you get one of those clip on things that tell you how much you're using at the current time, I can tell if the kids have their lights on, mine is super! (It was a freebie from BG - if I find the link I'll post it...)

britishgas.co.uk/pro…ers

promo code EF3

:thumbsup:

Sorry to be a pedant but it's meter hehe

Banned

That's the same one we have, they are "units" - On average, we use between 15-20 per day (and that's quite high)

Say you're paying around 11p per unit - you have use £35 since it was fitted!! That can't be right

I've only used 5 units in the last 24 hours!

starsparkle2311;7796811

What time is Holby City on?

Random!!!
    Or am I missing something?

Banned

is your fridge sitting level ? i seem to remember that it being at an angle can cause the motor to run

Surely all meters read at KWh, meaning you can compare the 2 meters to see if they are same. (the whole piont you have 2 at the moment)
    so i believe that it might mean 0.325 KWh
    Or maybe it is in 'units' i'm no expert just saying what i think.

why dont you call them and ask?

the meter says single phase watt hour meter
    is it the wattage you are using.
    then under the seal is there more buttons so only the engineer can read other settings?

Original Poster

smallian;7796960

the meter says single phase watt hour meteris it the wattage you are … the meter says single phase watt hour meteris it the wattage you are using.then under the seal is there more buttons so only the engineer can read other settings?

So what is it displaying?

- 325Wh (ie: 0.325kWh)
    - 3250Wh (ie: 3.25kWh)

Which one is what i dont get.

Original Poster

Tell ya what - i'll leave it till 9pm - then post back results from both meters..

As way it's clocking up atm - i don't think they installed the 2nd meter at 0.. Isn't going up fast enough for that.

Original Poster

Ah right yes!

They installed it at 324.0

Wife showed me paper they left lol, never told me about that.. Makes more sense now ;).

Are they going up at the same rate, try turning something juicy on and seeing if they go at the same rate.

Original Poster

His reading when he put it in was 13872 on my meter..

So while my meter seems to have gone up by 2kWh - the 2nd meter installed has only gone up by 1kWh - looks promising that ive defo got a duff meter.

So it seems the 325 means kWh - it's just that they installed with a start number of 324 which threw me off.

325kWh...no worries as they are not usually set at 0 when installed. Its only to check if your old meter (meter reading 13874) is functioning properly. Take another reading after 24 hrs and compare the two meters...they should show the same consumption i.e. (New Meter 1 = new reading - 325 must be equal to Old Meter 1 = new reading - 13784) Hope this helps.

Banned

spritey;7797121

His reading when he put it in was 13872 on my meter..So while my meter … His reading when he put it in was 13872 on my meter..So while my meter seems to have gone up by 2kWh - the 2nd meter installed has only gone up by 1kWh - looks promising that ive defo got a duff meter.So it seems the 325 means kWh - it's just that they installed with a start number of 324 which threw me off.

That makes sense! Panic over. You have used 1 unit of electricity since it was installed.

You might want to consider one of these:

theowl.com/ind…owl

We got one a couple of weeks ago and it's brilliant. It shows you how much electricity you are using and you can see it drop when you turn lights off, put things on standby etc. It's made a HUGE difference to how we use electricity in the house and it's very addictive!

I'm convinced that since I had the new elecric meter installed (like yours) my bills have gone up even though my electric use has not - maybe I need to contact them to.

Original Poster

DanJackson;7797280

That makes sense! Panic over. You have used 1 unit of electricity since … That makes sense! Panic over. You have used 1 unit of electricity since it was installed. You might want to consider one of these:http://www.theowl.com/index.php?page=about-owlWe got one a couple of weeks ago and it's brilliant. It shows you how much electricity you are using and you can see it drop when you turn lights off, put things on standby etc. It's made a HUGE difference to how we use electricity in the house and it's very addictive!

I slightly misread - looks like our meter is fine, dang!.

I have however purchased one of those owl things from amazon today (thanks), need to narrow down where these very unusual high consumption levels are coming from.

What is odd is basically through leaving for the weekend and unplugging TV area and Computer area, i've narrowed down the high consumption levels to either one of those areas..

what is unusual though is since living in my current house (18 months)... I've had 3 different TVs (42" Plasma - 50" Sony HDTV - 50" Samsung HDTV), 4 different PCs (Normal PC - macbook - iMac - back to normal PC). Electricity levels have been consistant throughout, so i can't see it being a device thing.. As i had similar devices in previous property, none which created such high electricity usage..

You don't think a plug multipler / extension cable or an actual plug socket could be causing the high consumption?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047134
      2. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.811
      3. What would be HELL to you?2839
      4. Driving without wing mirror?legal?1922

See more discussions