Help me understand Apple iCloud please?

Hello guys, I know this may be straight forward for some and difficult for others but I am finding it hard to understand the process and the purpose of Apple's iCloud.

Am I correct to say,

Anything uploaded from your device to iCloud is a mirror image of your device?

So, iPad, storage full, upload pictures and videos to iCloud which can be accessed by other Apple devices?

If you delete all the content you have just uploaded from your device it will also be removed from iCloud or am I wrong?

If this is correct, will using iCloud Drive store my content without me losing them if I wipe my phone?

Now, if iCloud is not designed to store content but to share then do I need to opt for something like Dropbox or Google Cloud based storage?

What is the purpose of iCloud Drive then?

7 Comments

It depends on what you have told iCloud to do in its settings.
If you back up to iCloud and then wipe your device, you have the option of restoring everything that was previously there.
I do not backup documents or photos to iCloud, instead I use Dropbox and Google Drive.

I use iCloud to backup my devices rather than backing up to a computer as I find it is more convenient.

Original Poster

Predikuesi

It depends on what you have told iCloud to do in its settings.If you back … It depends on what you have told iCloud to do in its settings.If you back up to iCloud and then wipe your device, you have the option of restoring everything that was previously there.I do not backup documents or photos to iCloud, instead I use Dropbox and Google Drive.I use iCloud to backup my devices rather than backing up to a computer as I find it is more convenient.

With Google do you lose image quality i.e. does it optimise the image to save space?

punji

With Google do you lose image quality i.e. does it optimise the image to … With Google do you lose image quality i.e. does it optimise the image to save space?

I don't know about that as I am not really into photography, though visually I am unable to detect any degrading of quality. Your best bet, if it concerns you, is to backup your photos to a harddrive , there are Wi-Fi hard drives that work quite well with ios.

Original Poster

that is interesting, thanks for the info.

I never use it for images or updating my device but you can add your contact list, calendar, notes, etc, to share with your other Apple devices. So if you have multiple Apple devices and you entered your contact list on your phone, they will appear on the Mac/Macbook/iPad too without having to type them again. Same goes with the notes and stuff. And if you delete it from one device, it's removed from the others too.

Pretty handy if you are writing something in the notes. You can start typing with the phone then when you get home, boot up the Mac/iPad and continue on easy enough
Edited by: "CoolDude0123" 15th May

Bear in mind there are limits to how much you can store in the cloud, for free. A full 64GB or 128GB device wont fit into the cloud. The cloud is a nice "convenience", like USB memory key backup. But the data could be lost, or stolen, in extreme circumstances. Or, you may lose access to your icloud account for various reasons (phone stolen, hackers, dodgy apps). [Dont let this worry you - take usual precautions on your device, and how you use it]

The cloud is great for moving data around, but if you exceed the limitations, then tools like dropbox can be an alternative. (Look at the cost, decide if you want to pay the amounts quoted, and if you will get good use).

For casual users, taking pictures of cats, dogs and family, the default offering is fine for a few years until you fill it up. Then consider how are you going to back up your pictures.

I am not an Apple fan but wife and son love their ipads.

I recently bought extra icloud storage, and to be honest it is very reasonably priced, at least for the smaller options.

Think I pay £2.99 per month.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…48
    2. Electricity67
    3. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)59
    4. iPhone charging cable.917

See more discussions