Groups

Help! MOT + CAR TAX issues!

Hello,

I just wondering if any one knows if there is a limit on how far i can drive to my MOT garage. I am basicaly 250 miles away from where my MOT is due to be. I need to get back up there anyhow but will have ran out of MOT before the date i can drive up is. Meanwhile i will not have tax until i can MOT the car. I do however have insurance.

I am unable to do one here due to lack of time and fully booked weekends! The problem is if i do MOT here and it fails then not only will i have to re-test but will stil also need to get up there anyway. (plus being here would mean if it fails my dad is 250 miles away who will fix it before the 2nd one!)

Basically, can i take my car to a MOT garage 250 miles away, aslong as it is prebooked.
    Thanks
    Emma

27 Comments

If you don't have tax, your insurance becomes invalid i am lead to believe

you can take your car to any garage that does mot's so why travel 250 miles? :?
    sorry didn't read your full post :-( just the heading...

Banned

No you need valid tax to drive on UK roads. You will need to tax your vehicle before it runs out.

You can drive to a prebooked MOT without MOT or Tax, the distance of travel is a grey area. There is no definition of this in law.

I think driving 250m with no mot is pushing it, I don't think the police would be to happy with it legal or not. You can't put a price on safety and for all you know your car could be a death trap, Ok an mot doesn't guarantee it's safe but at least it's a measure.

Original Poster

Thanks all,

Yes foosball, but you need an MOT to have tax. I knwo i can dive without Tax to get my MOT the main issue is distance.

The article was very helpful.

peo- are you certain its a grey area? i cannot find anything however about distances you can travel.

Thanks again!

Original Poster

shaune, i knwo what your saying, but its only just ran about to ran out of MOT it been n use and tested and passed a year ago. It not like its been stored for years.
    And yes it prob is pushing it. but if its not illegal..

Original Poster

also, what if, if i dont take it the 250 miels and it fails a test here i would then have to have it parked on the road illegaly

Original Poster

oh dear i dont know! thanks anyway!

madnutta;3131538

oh dear i dont know! thanks anyway!

From the link posted, the most important is this, from a member of court

5ive-o.org/for…=17

This is what i mean by grey area, no distance is defined, therefore it is purely down to the police and the magistrates what to do. Some will get done, and some will be left to go on their way.

Banned

madnutta;3131535

also, what if, if i dont take it the 250 miels and it fails a test here i … also, what if, if i dont take it the 250 miels and it fails a test here i would then have to have it parked on the road illegaly

yes then get stung for no tax, end up getting the car removed and costing you a mint.. why you cant find a local garage beats me, I certainly wouldnt let you got 250 miles to get it mot`d.

madnutta;3131514

shaune, i knwo what your saying, but its only just ran about to ran out … shaune, i knwo what your saying, but its only just ran about to ran out of MOT it been n use and tested and passed a year ago. It not like its been stored for years.And yes it prob is pushing it. but if its not illegal..

If it's safe then it should pass where ever you are, It'll only fail if it's unsafe. I know it's probably perfectly fine and you seem confident so it's your choice but I think 250m is flaunting the law a little, Driving with no mot may also invalidate your insurance as well regardless of whether its "legal".

heres a thought have you got RAC cover to take you home???
    Couldnt you accidentally on purpose break down and get towed home???

Original Poster

i need to get 250 miles anyway and if it fails here, i still need to be there. im likely to do a mot here anyway but then if it fails im in the same situation. Also it will likely fail on something stupid like a light knowing my luck. teh local garage problem is ist a do mot morning b4 i go situation.

to be honest, them taking the cars hardly a fortune down the drain

DIVA1977;3131725

heres a thought have you got RAC cover to take you home???Couldnt you … heres a thought have you got RAC cover to take you home???Couldnt you accidentally on pirpose break down and get towed home???

Would the RAC man not check the engine before he tows you home? lol

Original Poster

haha actually i broke down before on a drive to london i was 50 miles from london and 200 from home, and they said theyl only take me home, until i told them where i was heading and the 2 distances. then it became the destination. (that btw was a starter motor problem which has since been replaced!)

sneaky diva

shauneco;3131672

Driving with no mot may also invalidate your insurance as well regardless … Driving with no mot may also invalidate your insurance as well regardless of whether its "legal".

Most insurance just says that the vehicle has to be roadworthy, no mention of MOT

Titchimp;3131767

That's not going to help when someone has err, robbed all your wheels :whistling:

When does your M.O.T run out?

Are your fully booked weekends including leisure activities?

Original Poster

no leasurer, i work in the week need to tavel over the weekend. its ok. im sick of talking about it to be honest ill do what i can.

Original Poster

sorry my spelling atrocious

Original Poster

see!!!

Titchimp;3131767

yea but maybe get a puncture accidentally on purpose and the spare is flat too..u get the drift

As long as the MOT is prebooked, legally you're allowed to drive to it (the law doesn't define distance) I checked this as I had an MOT done 100 miles from home last weekend. I couldn't get it done at a local garage early enough on Saturday so eventually got it done at my destination.

madnutta;3131761

. Also it will likely fail on something stupid like a light knowing my … . Also it will likely fail on something stupid like a light knowing my luck. teh local garage problem is ist a do mot morning b4 i go situation.

Surely you can check the lights work OK, you should do that any way on a regular basis.;-)

DIVA1977;3132492

yea but maybe get a puncture accidentally on purpose and the spare is … yea but maybe get a puncture accidentally on purpose and the spare is flat too..u get the drift

RAC would take you to a tyre depot or if they are closed call out one of their contractors with tyre facilities. They won't tow 250 miles for that. You would then pay for the new tyre..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…77
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4602154
      3. Samsung Note 81015
      4. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)512

See more discussions