HELP!! moving house

ok so im moving house for the 1st time next week, moving from shelter housing into my own place. only problem is i came here with nothing and therefore have nothing to take on with me. the OH's dad has given us aload of stuff, practically everything we need. but due to recent events cannot bring the stuff up for us.
can anyone suggest the best way of getting it from tiverton in devon to brayton in N.yorks. links would be helpful if suggesting companies.
thanks in advance

21 Comments

Can I come too :-D

Van rental. You drive down and collect.

Original Poster

im sure i could find a corner for u :thumbsup:

sig1169;6031840

im sure i could find a corner for u :thumbsup:

Sorry just read the OP.
I'll help, try your yellow pages for van hire or...

thrifty.co.uk/
nationalcar.co.uk/

Original Poster

kyalion;6031839

Van rental. You drive down and collect.

cant drive and neither does the OH unfortunatly

sig1169;6031856

I think you can pay people to do it for you?

sig1169;6031856

May need to find someone who can drive then.
Alternatively, look into house removals. How much stuff are you talking about? Is it something that could be boxed up and posted via a courier?

Man with a van type thing might be best, you also have to consider if it's worthwhile moving all of the stuff, check freecycle in the area you're moving to. I've given loads of decent stuff away.

Original Poster

been searching for a decent deal for the past few hours now. one company quoted me £990 to deliver which is rediculous as could buy it all again for that.
ive already signed up to freecycle but even then i would need to find someone to collect it from them..which stops it being free lol

Banned

probably get a man with a van to do it for you.

will be cheapest and will cost about £500

csiman;6032309

probably get a man with a van to do it for you. will be cheapest and … probably get a man with a van to do it for you. will be cheapest and will cost about £500

Watch out who it is because I know someone moving cities and he never saw his stuff again!

You can try selling the stuff you have now and buying them after you have moved.

Banned

Met-Cast;6032328

Watch out who it is because I know someone moving cities and he never saw … Watch out who it is because I know someone moving cities and he never saw his stuff again!

blimey - he just let some bloke drive off with his stuff?

I'd at least be in the cab with the driver!

sig1169;6031856

Hire a man and a van.

csiman;6032309

probably get a man with a van to do it for you. will be cheapest and … probably get a man with a van to do it for you. will be cheapest and will cost about £500

oh sorry hon, I didnt read through.

what this man said lol

Original Poster

still seems so expensive might just have to delay slightly or get a blow up bed

sig1169;6032511

still seems so expensive might just have to delay slightly or get a … still seems so expensive might just have to delay slightly or get a blow up bed

do you have a friend who can drive?

if so then you'd just have to pay for the van for the weekend x x

You want someone to collect stuff from devon and take it to yorkshire and think £500 is expensive?

How cheap didyou think it would be?

Hi you mentioned you were moving from sheltered housing, did this resource have staff who offered support, perhaps they could suggest options i.e. charitable organisations who could assist with your problem.
Dont know how the benefit system works in the south, but those on low income or benefits can apply for a community care grants for furniture and moving costs, its important you get someone to assist you with this and who knows the system so that you maximise the potential financial help you can get.
There are various national organisations which could advise you, possibly shelter, its not just for homeless people. good luck

Banned

pinkleponkle;6032737

You want someone to collect stuff from devon and take it to yorkshire and … You want someone to collect stuff from devon and take it to yorkshire and think £500 is expensive?How cheap didyou think it would be?

+1 :thumbsup:

petrol alone would be around £150 in a large van

pinkleponkle;6032737

You want someone to collect stuff from devon and take it to yorkshire and … You want someone to collect stuff from devon and take it to yorkshire and think £500 is expensive?How cheap didyou think it would be?

£500 is damn good cos that's well far.

Moved a few days back,It cost me £240 other day for removals and I had Luton Van which made 2 collections and the houses were about 6 miles apart. It was 2 guys helping and they charged £40 per hr.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1016
    2. Sad news about Barcelona2182
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846125
    4. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam33

See more discussions