Groups
    EXPIRED

Help my 6yr old has made my keyboard type shortcuts only! Now fixed! Thanks all,

Ive no idea what the monster has done but now my msi netbook u100 will not type! I can use mouse pad and get onto google chrome & internet explorer but when I press the keys it just throws up shortcuts! ive searched google and gone on microsoft but cant find how to fix it! I know there are a lot of clever computer people on hot uk! Im typing this on an ancient laptop thats about had it too! Kids!!! Thanks in advance!

29 Comments

See if one of the "special" keys has been pressed down (by special keys I mean one of the keys that is not a normal "letter" key).

Is there perhaps a light on the keyboard showing a key is down (this is often the case if caps lock or similar is on)

Original Poster

guilbert53

See if one of the "special" keys has been pressed down (by special keys I … See if one of the "special" keys has been pressed down (by special keys I mean one of the keys that is not a normal "letter" key). Is there perhaps a light on the keyboard showing a key is down (this is often the case if caps lock or similar is on)

No theres nothing that looks like its been pressed down & no lights are on apart from bluetooth wireless & batterey:(

Is this like when you press M, it minimises etc?
    I've had that randomly happen to mine but a reboot fixes it

Original Poster

aj84

Is this like when you press M, it minimises etc?I've had that randomly … Is this like when you press M, it minimises etc?I've had that randomly happen to mine but a reboot fixes it

Yes thats it! how do i reboot? ive restarted it twice no luck, even doing a virus scan to make sure nothings happened!

put your kid back for another hour and might be able to fix it

Try SHIFT+Fn+F11

What do you mean by throws up shortcuts?

Kids and buttons eh.
    When my nephew was young he used to attack my answer machine everytime he came round.
    Messages that I needed to keep would be wiped and there would be a recording of him laughing X)

Make sure the Control (ctrl) key is not stuck.

There is an Accessibility feature called CTRL Lock which may have been switched on. Which version of Windows are you using?
    Edited by: "Hartley" 3rd Apr 2012

Original Poster

calum c

Try SHIFT+Fn+F11

Nope sorry still not working:( Thaks anyway!

Original Poster

Hartley

There is an Accessibilty feature called CTRL Lock which may have been … There is an Accessibilty feature called CTRL Lock which may have been switched on. Which version of Windows are you using?

Windows XP i know its ancient but my little netbook works fine! well it did lol!

Original Poster

doogan9

Make sure the Control (ctrl) key is not stuck.

Ill try thanks

Original Poster

WoolyM

What do you mean by throws up shortcuts?Kids and buttons eh. When my … What do you mean by throws up shortcuts?Kids and buttons eh. When my nephew was young he used to attack my answer machine everytime he came round. Messages that I needed to keep would be wiped and there would be a recording of him laughing X)

How funnyX) God knows how they do it its my own fault as i let the monster on it while i fixed the ancient brick that she'd broke the day before! Basically if i type any letter it does a shortcut action that corresponds to that letter?! does that make sense! ie M itll minimise everything but im not pressing control at the same time its driving me nuts!

Sounds like the 'Sticky Keys' feature. press Shift 5 times in a row and then a box will appear. press settings and un select all tick boxes that are displayed.
    Edited by: "ZedEx" 3rd Apr 2012

Taken from Microsoft website:

Display the Start menu by pressing Ctrl+Esc (or the Windows logo key). Then open Control Panel by pressing C.
    In Control Panel, make sure you are in Classic View, with all Control Panel icons showing. If not, go to the left pane of Control Panel and open Switch to Classic View by pressing Tab and then Enter. Press the arrow keys to move to Accessibility, and then press Enter.
    In the Accessibility Options dialog box, on the Keyboard tab, select the Use StickyKeys check box by pressing U.
    Press S for Settings. The Settings for StickyKeys dialog box will open and you will have the following options:

Press U to select the Use shortcut check box. This will allow you to turn StickyKeys on or off by pressing the Shift key five times.

Press P to select the Press modifier key twice to lock check box. This will allow you to lock a modifier key, such as the Ctrl, Alt, Shift or the Windows logo key if you press it twice in succession.

Press T to select the Turn StickyKeys off if two keys are pressed at once check box. This will allow you to turn off StickyKeys when a modifier key such as Ctrl, Alt, Shift or the Windows logo key and another key are pressed simultaneously.

Press M to select the Make sounds when modifier key is pressed check box. This will allow you to play a tone that indicates when a modifier key such as Ctrl, Alt, Shift or the Windows logo key is pressed, locked, or released.

Press S to select the Show StickyKeys status on screen check box. This will display a StickyKeys icon on the taskbar when StickyKeys is turned on.

Press Enter twice to exit Accessibility Options.
    Close Control Panel by pressing Alt+F, C.

Hope this helps.

Original Poster

ZedEx

Sounds like the 'Sticky Keys' feature. press Shift 5 times and then go to … Sounds like the 'Sticky Keys' feature. press Shift 5 times and then go to settings and un select all tick boxes.

Settings on where? control panel? just tried all the above no joy:( If i press H when in browser it shows history, if i press O itll ask if i want to open something,W it shuts browser down F it brings up find! Im gonna get a big Hammer and smash it next time i press H Lol!

mummymelly

Settings on where? control panel? just tried all the above no joy:( If i … Settings on where? control panel? just tried all the above no joy:( If i press H when in browser it shows history, if i press O itll ask if i want to open something,W it shuts browser down F it brings up find! Im gonna get a big Hammer and smash it next time i press H Lol!

It's definitely the Ctrl key which is activated then. It's either stuck, or the accessibility feature is switched on.

Original Poster

Hartley

Thank you for your help, the accessibility option is off according to … Thank you for your help, the accessibility option is off according to screen so im guessing shes wedged my ctrl key! It's definitely the Ctrl key which is activated then. It's either stuck, or the accessibility feature is switched on.

oOnot happy shes banned lol!

Original Poster

ZedEx

Sounds like the 'Sticky Keys' feature. press Shift 5 times in a row and … Sounds like the 'Sticky Keys' feature. press Shift 5 times in a row and then a box will appear. press settings and un select all tick boxes that are displayed.

Done this no boxes were selected thank you anyway!

It an MSI thing, my little boy did it to mine a couple of times. Press Fn+Ins or Fn+Del, I can't remember which it is

Original Poster

sheep_go_baa

It an MSI thing, my little boy did it to mine a couple of times. Press … It an MSI thing, my little boy did it to mine a couple of times. Press Fn+Ins or Fn+Del, I can't remember which it is

Tried it no luck:( Thanks anyway!

Have you got a phone with a camera? Can you upload some photos of whats going on?

Original Poster

WoolyM

Have you got a phone with a camera? Can you upload some photos of whats … Have you got a phone with a camera? Can you upload some photos of whats going on?

Id love to but im giving up for time being its driving me crazy! Done all the above and its still doing it! Im hoping turning it off for a few hours will magically solve it(_;)
    Moral of the story is 6yr olds and PC's dont work!
    Now ive got to work out how to finish fixing this brick! it wont let me take off awful avast! i give up maybe its because im blonde;)

If you have a usb keyboard plug that in and see if you can type with that, it might well be that one of the keys on the netbook is stuck .

Original Poster

philmitchell

If you have a usb keyboard plug that in and see if you can type with … If you have a usb keyboard plug that in and see if you can type with that, it might well be that one of the keys on the netbook is stuck .

Ill Try and let you know later its been banished to the cupboard at the moment!

mummymelly

Ill Try and let you know later its been banished to the cupboard at the … Ill Try and let you know later its been banished to the cupboard at the moment!

Thats where you should put your little 'un X) Joke

Original Poster

WoolyM

Thats where you should put your little 'un X) Joke

Im very tempted lol!

Original Poster

Well I've plucked the courage up & switched it on and hey presto it's working normal again!
    Thank you to all who helped! Your a clever bunch;)

the way i solved this on my pc is pressing num lock and caps lock at the same time, multiple times and if that doesnt work, press and hold them for a few seconds, and then release. i figured this out by random

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4522114
    2. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
    3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
    4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77

See more discussions