HELP! My Hotpoint WMD960 Ultima won't wash

Found 4th Aug 2012
Okay my hotpoint wmd960 ultima struggles and then fails to wash, the lock symbol keeps flashing randomly and then you hear a clicking nose, followed by the screen showing 'door open'.

Things I've tried and have failed;
I've changed the interlock,
Pulled out all (I think) the wires and put it in again, to try and reset it, but that didn't work
Changed the fuse
Plugged it in else where

All I can think of to do is to either get it fixed, which would probably be the same as buying another one, or just buy another one?

Its not even two years old, does anyone know what is wrong with it, or anything that I could try. ??
Community Updates
44 Comments
does it have any error codes on the display?
Phone hotpoint and get it replaced/fixed as not fit for for intended use.
Original Poster
At times I get lucky and its starts fine, but then after two minutes or so, the clicking noise starts up, then it goes quiet, it will sometimes fight the lock and the clicking will continue. But, if no luck then the F06 code appears, and that is just to empty the bottom of it, which I have done.

Well its out its year warranty and they want five years warranty paid for and for me to use one of there guys, again money I don't want to be spending when it will only be one part that needs changing, and that part would be something that even I can put it.
Original Poster
Just don't know what that part is??
Is there a leak somewhere in it?
hotpointservice.co.uk/hs/….do?keys=FAQ:ERROR_CODES

Program selector error apparently.
Edited by: "LizziBear" 4th Aug 2012
bright_star

At times I get lucky and its starts fine, but then after two minutes or … At times I get lucky and its starts fine, but then after two minutes or so, the clicking noise starts up, then it goes quiet, it will sometimes fight the lock and the clicking will continue. But, if no luck then the F06 code appears, and that is just to empty the bottom of it, which I have done.Well its out its year warranty and they want five years warranty paid for and for me to use one of there guys, again money I don't want to be spending when it will only be one part that needs changing, and that part would be something that even I can put it.

The years warranty is not legally recognised, it is a mere gimmick to entice you to buy the machine. Under the sale of goods act the product must be fit for purpose (which includes the life of the product) You would most likely win hands down if you took this to court so be strong on the phone and get them to sort it.
The years warranty should be explained properly because it leads alot of people to believe they have no recourse after a year which is a load of rubbish.

Won't be long before shops legally have to explain this and their much prized warranty money goes down the pan.
Did you honestly expect a Hotpoint to last 2 years?
Inactive

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-102QAhnhYIs/TY2OUtTrTJI/AAAAAAAAbEk/5ods_8uZlJ8/s1600/wtf-is-that.jpg
Inactive

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews234269.html

People need to stick up for their rights. Thats all there is to it. I have a hotpoint and so far (16 months in) it is fine. Though I wouldn't hesitate to take them to the small claims court (very little effort) if need be.
Original Poster
gpawan

Is there a leak somewhere in it?

I don't think there is, but if there was then would it be likely for the machine to behave in this manner?

Inactive

Yes, of course I did, why wouldn't I, the last two washing machines I had lasted at least 6 years, both hotpoint!
Original Poster
jonny619447

The years warranty is not legally recognised, it is a mere gimmick to … The years warranty is not legally recognised, it is a mere gimmick to entice you to buy the machine. Under the sale of goods act the product must be fit for purpose (which includes the life of the product) You would most likely win hands down if you took this to court so be strong on the phone and get them to sort it.

Due to several loop holes in the sales of goods act and hotpoint being who they are, they do offer a free part warranty for five years, however you have to use on of their guys. So that would be call out and labour charge I'm not willing to pay, which most probably is a five minute job.

And, I agree people do need to stick up for their rights, but after a lot of research and even if a case like this went to court, would it be worth it, after legal cost have been deducted?
Original Poster
Inactive

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews234269.html

Thanks for that, but before I bought it, there reviews were kinda good, just the one that was not happy. But, since there seems to be a lot of issues with his particular model.
My last hotpoint(can't remember the model) kept stopping and flashing up error messages on the screen. The error code that came up stated in the book i had to call an engineer as it could not be fixed otherwise.I googled it and found info that said to open the bottom panel and clean the filter. Unopened it and it was jam packed with coins,hair clasps and bits of kids toys!! Once cleaned the error never came up again. Worth a shot??
Sorry ignore my post,I have just read that you have emptied it already!
bright_star

Due to several loop holes in the sales of goods act and hotpoint being … Due to several loop holes in the sales of goods act and hotpoint being who they are, they do offer a free part warranty for five years, however you have to use on of their guys. So that would be call out and labour charge I'm not willing to pay, which most probably is a five minute job.And, I agree people do need to stick up for their rights, but after a lot of research and even if a case like this went to court, would it be worth it, after legal cost have been deducted?

Well obviously you shouldn't have to outlay for a product that hasn'tg lasted as long as it should. Of course its easier to make excuses for why you can't claim but people have to do these things if they believe they have been wronged.

Up to you though.

Original Poster
jonny619447

Well obviously you shouldn't have to outlay for a product that hasn'tg … Well obviously you shouldn't have to outlay for a product that hasn'tg lasted as long as it should. Of course its easier to make excuses for why you can't claim but people have to do these things if they believe they have been wronged. Up to you though.

Excuses they may be, but after doing research, the customer has no grounds. It was way passed its year warranty and until that day there was no real problem with it. Don't believe that all those who say there is no point in going to court are just saying it to get out of a lot of hassle. Many like me do our research aswell as asking legal professionals is there any grounds for it to be successful. From, which you are given a lot of legal jargon, as to how they did all they could and therefore it is down to no fault of their own, so why should they pay.

However, if you did win, you were under no emotional, mental or physical danger because of the breakdown, so all you will get is a new washing machine and maybe £100 off your next 'hotpoint' purchase. But, then you have legal fees to pay, which believe me is more than £100. So, although you did get a washing machine and a £100 voucher, cash wise your technically out of pocket, compared to buying a new one or getting it fixed professionally.

Remember, terms and conditions aren't just there to take up space, time should be taken to read it and understand what rights you have regarding that particular product.

I took all this into consideration and I personally feel that it won't stand well in court, hence the reason why I'm not taking it there. But, you have your personal belief of how it should be and I hope your successful at every case you take to court.
i reckon bra wire stuck in the expelling motor by the sound of it...
Ike

I'm sure the issue has been sorted now considering this was over a week ago..
Original Poster
Ike

If that had gone missing I am sure I would have noticed, plus is was the door where the problem was not the motor

aircanman

I'm sure the issue has been sorted now considering this was over a week … I'm sure the issue has been sorted now considering this was over a week ago..

and the only way it got sorted was a new one was bought, needs must and all that
Original Poster
jellybaby22

I had a 15 month old washing machine from Argos ..kept coming up with … I had a 15 month old washing machine from Argos ..kept coming up with error codes, got an idependent report. Got in touch with Argos, and they sent out a new machine..which was no where near as good as the other..called them up..they picked it up and refunded. You just have to be firm and know your rights.

Unless you had an extended guarantee or Argos were just too soft, they had no real reason to give you anything. You were out the year warranty and that is it, hence why many say get the extended warranty and why it is available.

Knowing your rights and being lucky or getting something by chance are too different things. Argos were under no legal obligation to give you a new washing machine or even a refund, if you had no extended warranty or extra cover with them.
Banned
bright_star

Unless you had an extended guarantee or Argos were just too soft, they … Unless you had an extended guarantee or Argos were just too soft, they had no real reason to give you anything. You were out the year warranty and that is it, hence why many say get the extended warranty and why it is available. Knowing your rights and being lucky or getting something by chance are too different things. Argos were under no legal obligation to give you a new washing machine or even a refund, if you had no extended warranty or extra cover with them.

you are wrong. SOGA covers up to 6 years if the engineers report states the fault is inherent.
jellybaby22

^^^ thisBut they rely on people like you, who don't know their rights

^^^ yeah, this.
Original Poster
csiman

Two independent diagnostics tests are needed one by hotpoint, the machine will most likely be taken away for testing, questions would be asked on whether I have unscrewed any parts of the washing machine (yes I have) and how often do I use it.

All takes time of which they will come to the conclusion that I did something to it, hence why if you had read my previous post, I asked legal professionals who know the whole sales of goods act in full detail not just what is posted on the net for people to read. It got broken apart for me and I was told 'it was pointless'

jellybaby22

^^^ thisBut they rely on people like you, who don't know their rights

There are my rights, read my posts as there is a lot of detail as to what I did and where I went. That is how I came to the conclusion of getting a new one, back load of washing needed to get done and I'm not going to waste time for hotpoint to tell me that because I opened the machine I did something to it. END.
deek72

^^^ yeah, this.

^^^ This
sancho1983

^^^ This

^^^ Tree fiddy
Original Poster
jellybaby22

Thread was pointless then. Buy a new one.In future though...when your … Thread was pointless then. Buy a new one.In future though...when your washing machine goes tats up...get an independent report and get in touch with who you bought it from...not the manufactorer...also perhaps don't give them a way out by unscrewing things

Thread had a point the time I posted it almost 2 weeks ago!
I needed to unscrew it, its what I do, try to sort things out before calling anyone in, it had a problem a while back and I sorted it by doing a 30 second job on it. I will be unscrewing things in the future too, many things only need a quick fix such as a part change, just pay for the part most likely under £10 and the call out along with labour charge FREE.

But thanks for the heads up, but with me I've been doing it for years and saved a lot of money, probably the cost of several washing machines/cookers/heaters/etc.
bright_star

Thread had a point the time I posted it almost 2 weeks ago!I needed to … Thread had a point the time I posted it almost 2 weeks ago!I needed to unscrew it, its what I do, try to sort things out before calling anyone in, it had a problem a while back and I sorted it by doing a 30 second job on it. I will be unscrewing things in the future too, many things only need a quick fix such as a part change, just pay for the part most likely under £10 and the call out along with labour charge FREE.But thanks for the heads up, but with me I've been doing it for years and saved a lot of money, probably the cost of several washing machines/cookers/heaters/etc.

In all seriousness, the way you described the fault sounded like it was something stuck inside, could have been a simple repair. You could have had hotpoint out to repair it (free parts in 5 years) - then if it was due to something being stuck then it would have been sorted, if it was a faulty component you could have had it repaired, repairers report in hand and you could have gone after the retailer for some or all of the repair cost.

Whoever picked your old washing machine up is probably enjoying a free perfectly good washing machine now.
Original Poster
aircanman

In all seriousness, the way you described the fault sounded like it was … In all seriousness, the way you described the fault sounded like it was something stuck inside, could have been a simple repair. You could have had hotpoint out to repair it (free parts in 5 years) - then if it was due to something being stuck then it would have been sorted, if it was a faulty component you could have had it repaired, repairers report in hand and you could have gone after the retailer for some or all of the repair cost. Whoever picked your old washing machine up is probably enjoying a free perfectly good washing machine now.

Never assume, the old machine is still in my possession, so one day when I have time I will try to fix it and will be using it again if I do. I did check almost everywhere except the drum itself as I'm not sure how to check it without either damaging it or myself, the latter being more important. If anyone has a video of it or something that would be great.

I know of the five year guarantee, however that only lies in the part, you have to pay for call out and labour charge, so out of pocket for which like you said could be something small.
Have you checked the cables from the door lock with a multimeter?

One of the cables may have an intermittent/broken connection and may need replacing.
bright_star

Never assume, the old machine is still in my possession, so one day when … Never assume, the old machine is still in my possession, so one day when I have time I will try to fix it and will be using it again if I do. I did check almost everywhere except the drum itself as I'm not sure how to check it without either damaging it or myself, the latter being more important. If anyone has a video of it or something that would be great.I know of the five year guarantee, however that only lies in the part, you have to pay for call out and labour charge, so out of pocket for which like you said could be something small.

Hop off your high horse will you - Checked everything but the drum? Well, what you described something may be lodged in the drum, the only place it would be lodged yes? You don't need a video, just take everything off it, when you get to the drum, start unscrewing things. Or leave it to a technician.
Original Poster
PhearFactor

Have you checked the cables from the door lock with a multimeter?One of … Have you checked the cables from the door lock with a multimeter?One of the cables may have an intermittent/broken connection and may need replacing.

Yea I checked that thanks and it seems okay to me.
Original Poster
aircanman

Hop off your high horse will you - Checked everything but the drum? Well, … Hop off your high horse will you - Checked everything but the drum? Well, what you described something may be lodged in the drum, the only place it would be lodged yes? You don't need a video, just take everything off it, when you get to the drum, start unscrewing things. Or leave it to a technician.

Lol, my high horse is where I stay, if you were aware of the model you would know that you can only get to it via the back with a small slot, I can't see a way to the internal drum without breaking something. I do need a video for this machine and to unscrew everything from the drum would not be the greatest of ideas as they aren't light weights and to take of all the supports is something I won't be doing.

FYI I never mentioned anything about the drum in my description, it was the door lock that was making the noise not the drum, if it was the drum it would either be stuck, make a noise when it moves or simply break. Yet, I can still spin the drum with no noise, even when I'm galloping around on my horse.
bright_star

Lol, my high horse is where I stay, if you were aware of the model you … Lol, my high horse is where I stay, if you were aware of the model you would know that you can only get to it via the back with a small slot, I can't see a way to the internal drum without breaking something. I do need a video for this machine and to unscrew everything from the drum would not be the greatest of ideas as they aren't light weights and to take of all the supports is something I won't be doing. FYI I never mentioned anything about the drum in my description, it was the door lock that was making the noise not the drum, if it was the drum it would either be stuck, make a noise when it moves or simply break. Yet, I can still spin the drum with no noise, even when I'm galloping around on my horse.

You said it struggles, can you explain this a little better? Does it start huffing and puffing, moaning and whinging then gives up? It could be the lock causing the issue? And to use your words about assuming, well, as it happens I also own that washing machine.
Original Poster
aircanman

You said it struggles, can you explain this a little better? Does it … You said it struggles, can you explain this a little better? Does it start huffing and puffing, moaning and whinging then gives up? It could be the lock causing the issue? And to use your words about assuming, well, as it happens I also own that washing machine.

I stated that you assumed because you stated the person who took the washing machine may have fixed the problem and enjoying my hotpoint, but they didn't as I kept it.

The noise is the same as when you close the door and start the cycle, you hear a click which indicates the door has locked. Well this clicking noise just continues, I've changed the lock on the inside by removing the lid, however the lock on the door I just can't change. But, it looks fine with no damage at all, oh and when I replaced the inner lock it moaned for the first few mins of the cycle before it carried on working until a few weeks later where it just carried on clicking then it would stop, leading to the f06 code to appear. I've emptied the filter at the bottom of the machine but still nothing seems to work, the clicking just carries on.

I've had people look at the board from within the machine and its fine with no component damaged or dried out. I've checked the wiring but that is fine as it knows when I've taken the cables leading to the lock out and won't start at all. I've been told random things to do which I've done expect the internal drum or the full removal of the door. I've even shouted at it and it didn't get scared I was out of ideas came on here, with no joy so bought another one. But, have kept the machine just in case a solution is found.
bright_star

I stated that you assumed because you stated the person who took the … I stated that you assumed because you stated the person who took the washing machine may have fixed the problem and enjoying my hotpoint, but they didn't as I kept it.The noise is the same as when you close the door and start the cycle, you hear a click which indicates the door has locked. Well this clicking noise just continues, I've changed the lock on the inside by removing the lid, however the lock on the door I just can't change. But, it looks fine with no damage at all, oh and when I replaced the inner lock it moaned for the first few mins of the cycle before it carried on working until a few weeks later where it just carried on clicking then it would stop, leading to the f06 code to appear. I've emptied the filter at the bottom of the machine but still nothing seems to work, the clicking just carries on.I've had people look at the board from within the machine and its fine with no component damaged or dried out. I've checked the wiring but that is fine as it knows when I've taken the cables leading to the lock out and won't start at all. I've been told random things to do which I've done expect the internal drum or the full removal of the door. I've even shouted at it and it didn't get scared I was out of ideas came on here, with no joy so bought another one. But, have kept the machine just in case a solution is found.

Here's a solution, get someone to repair it, god knows what happens when you get ill, do you get on the forums and crack open the surgical blades?

All honesty though, I am thinking the door lock, they are very secure for a reason, Hotpoint getting hammered for a kid getting into one of these machines is the last thing they want, Honestly I think it is like £70 plus VAT for a Hotpoint engineer to come out, considering the machine is about £300 it is worth it, and as I said, if it is something the machine has done due to poor workmanship, you can write to the retailer and get some of the money back.
Original Poster
aircanman

Here's a solution, get someone to repair it, god knows what happens when … Here's a solution, get someone to repair it, god knows what happens when you get ill, do you get on the forums and crack open the surgical blades? All honesty though, I am thinking the door lock, they are very secure for a reason, Hotpoint getting hammered for a kid getting into one of these machines is the last thing they want, Honestly I think it is like £70 plus VAT for a Hotpoint engineer to come out, considering the machine is about £300 it is worth it, and as I said, if it is something the machine has done due to poor workmanship, you can write to the retailer and get some of the money back.

Well if I did my reading on open surgery on yourself, then I might just do it, but I haven't and it doesn't look too hard does it..lol...doh.

As for the machine I didn't pay for it and its wasn't £300 about £220 on sale, but the machine now is my pet project, as I have new one now. So not too fussed.
I bought this machine 2.5 years ago. Now I need a need pcb - main board. Great machine, great wash, mega easy to use...but why is nothing built to last these days. Quoted £160 plus vat to repair
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants